• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pastor Illegally seized

suntzu

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Legba wrote:
I believe the courts have consistently held that the police may compel you to get out of your car during a stop, apart from the question of the legality of the search they were undertaking. So, he did screw up by refusing to exit. Still, the police response was apparently excessive, and I am in complete sympathy with the guy. His being a minister is irrelevant - they ought not to treat anyone like that unless they are responding in kind to violence.

-ljp
You might be referencing this ruling...
http://supreme.justia.com/us/434/106/case.html

"Held:
1. The order to get out of the car, issued after the respondent was lawfully detained, was reasonable, and thus permissible under the Fourth Amendment. The State's proffered justification for such order -- the officer's safety -- is both legitimate and weighty, and the intrusion into respondent's personal liberty occasioned by the order, being, at most, a mere inconvenience, cannot prevail when balanced against legitimate concerns for the officer's safety."

If a person is stopped unlawfully, then I don't expect the person to follow anything the officer says, same if I'm stopped for open carrying in the city of Pittsburgh.
so if they tell you to get out--simply LOCK your doors and take your keys with you, but don't let them in your car...

suntzu

imported post

MuellerBadener wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
, this isn't the USSR it's the USA
Are you sure about that anymore?
just call it the USSA and get used to goosestepping and calling each other comrade and to hearing the words "your papers comrade are not in order"...

Johnny_B

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
MuellerBadener wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
All I can say is that's a good question :? but I don't think we'll be there for a while
we're already there to a large extent..
Yeah... :cry:

Anywho, if this guy was stopped by the border patrol (from the video it looks like it) he may be subject to the Border search exception which basically says that Border patrol need NO reason to search your car (can't strip search you though).

But since this was between Cali and Az...I wonder if this applies since he's not coming into the country, already inside? I'll try to find cases related to it.

suntzu

imported post

Johnny_B wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
MuellerBadener wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
All I can say is that's a good question :? but I don't think we'll be there for a while

Anywho, if this guy was stopped by the border patrol (from the video it looks like it) he may be subject to the Border search exception which basically says that Border patrol need NO reason to search your car (can't strip search you though). But since this was between Cali and Az...I wonder if this applies? I'll try to find cases related to it.
can you provide some evidence to back up the assertion that our rights are violable at BP checkpoints? He was not even at the border when all of this happened....

and I'm not trying to come off like a jerk--just have had a rough month.

Johnny_B

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
MuellerBadener wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:

Anywho, if this guy was stopped by the border patrol (from the video it looks like it) he may be subject to the Border search exception which basically says that Border patrol need NO reason to search your car (can't strip search you though). But since this was between Cali and Az...I wonder if this applies? I'll try to find cases related to it.
can you provide some evidence to back up the assertion that our rights are violable at BP checkpoints? He was not even at the border when all of this happened....

and I'm not trying to come off like a jerk--just have had a rough month.
Your fine, and I know he wasn't at the border I'm just trying to figure out if it is even viable in this case.

A lot of cases are cited and quoted in the wikipedia article on the border search exception, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_search_exception

I was trying to cite and quote one case, but there are a few. One case, United States v. Martinez-Fuerte, 428 U.S. 543 (1976) bascially says that it's "impractical" to get warrents for each car at border patrol checkpoints and do not violate the 4th...

MuellerBadener

imported post

Johnny_B wrote:
. One case, United States v. Martinez-Fuerte, 428 U.S. 543 (1976) bascially says that it's "impractical" to get warrents for each car at border patrol checkpoints and do not violate the 4th...
While entering across the U.S. boerder may be constued to be probable cause, there is no way that some random checkpoint inside the states provides cause. As far a "practical" goes, the Contitutional framers didn't want practical, they wanted freedom. This is Tyranny.

Johnny_B

imported post

MuellerBadener wrote:
Johnny_B wrote:
. One case, United States v. Martinez-Fuerte, 428 U.S. 543 (1976) bascially says that it's "impractical" to get warrents for each car at border patrol checkpoints and do not violate the 4th...
While entering across the U.S. boerder may be constued to be probable cause, there is no way that some random checkpoint inside the states provides cause. As far a "practical" goes, the Contitutional framers didn't want practical, they wanted freedom. This is Tyranny.
I agree, but US v Martinez-Fuerte also basically says the BP can setup checkpoints along highways and interstates as long as they "lead to or away" from mexico

:banghead:

maybe he got snagged at one of these?

MuellerBadener

imported post

What, so BP can set up a check-point on I-35 in the middle of BFE Kansas and stop & search whoever & whatever they want? Thomas Paine would roll over in his grave.

(If anyone knew where it was)

codename_47

imported post

Given the new Supremes ruling on Arizona v Gant, I am going to IMMIDEATLY step out of my car to preclude any searches. As the one case cited, the concern for "officer safety" goes out the window when I am out of the vehicle, thus any ability to search goes with it.

jegoodin

imported post

I may not agree with some of his politics or his religion, but the guy has balls and is sticking up for his and our rights. Gotta like him...

And the videos were a laugh riot. Not the one where he gets tazed, that was shameful and shocking. I hope he sues and owns the Border Patrol someday.

arentol

imported post

arentol wrote:
This guy is an idiot.

He shouldn't have resisted the search at ALL. There is no legal right to resist a search if the police say they have probable cause to perform a search. You have to deal with the legal right to search later, via a formal complaint and/or a lawsuit. He should have just said "You search my car, I take your house." If that didn't work, then he should have just let them do it and then sued the officers later under 1983.

Chances are good the dog was being taped by their cruiser so if it really did nothing then he should win the suit. Also, he could probably get the cops to testify in court as to how fantastic and capable the dog is, and how many arrests it helped get. Then he would be able to use the fact that they found nothing illegal to show that they were lying, because if the dog is that accurate at finding contraband it clearly didn't give a signal since there was no contraband to be found in the first place. In effect the officers would end up testifying against themselves if he had a good enough lawyer.
Apparently some people misunderstood what I said and thought I meant he should have consented to the search when he was ASKED. If you read carefully you will realize I was saying he shouldn't have resisted the search when the police indicated they felt they had probable cause. At that point he was committing a crime and the police then acquired probable cause anyway.

The rules are simple, if an officer is ASKING you to do something you don't have to comply. For instance, if he is asking to search your car then he doesn't have probable cause (or he would just search it), and you can and should stand up for your rights. However, if he is ORDERING you to do something, that if he had probable cause he could legally order you to do, then you must comply even if you THINK he doesn't have probable cause. Failure to do so is a crime. If it later turns out he clearly didn't have probable cause then any evidence found should be suppressed, and you may have cause for a lawsuit as well.

The thing to keep in mind is that you don't KNOW that the officer doesn't have probable cause. You and your vehicle may very well precisely match the description in a recent APB of someone who has an arrest warrant out on them. So the officer may have probable cause based on the APB, and your failure to comply because you think he doesn't have probable cause could very well cause you to commit a crime and result in you being arrested and charged for obstruction of justice.

Keep in mind, I am NOT saying you should answer questions if "ordered" to do so. You don't have to aside from your minimum state requirements for ID and such. I am a firm advocate of making NO statements to the police, but you still must comply with other orders even if you think they are violating your rights.

BTW, this applies to Terry stop situations, including illegal ones like OC'ers often have to deal with as well. Don't answer questions, don't bitch about your rights and the law, just obey orders that would be lawful if he has probable cause and otherwise, refuse to consent to ANYTHING, and ask repeatedly if you are free to go.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

arentol wrote:
If you read carefully you will realize I was saying he shouldn't have resisted the search when the police indicated they felt they had probable cause. At that point he was committing a crime and the police then acquired probable cause anyway.
Really? You're committing a crime by refusing to allow a bunch of jack booted thugs to ransack your vehicle because they feel like it?

First, those DHS officers need to lose their jobs. Second, jack booted thugs are jack booted thugs and should never ever be tolerated by a free people. Those officers need to be in jail.

If I'm stopped at a checkpoint... and I'm not crossing a border... I will not submit to a search. I will not give them my name or my ID and I will get every civil rights law firm to make sure that every single officer who was at that stop has their lives made total hell... we will publish their names and home addresses so they can be harassed by tens of thousands of Americans... they can see the pitchforks and torches outside their homes and they can fear for their families lives much like the AIG executives did when they received bonuses from the bailout money. Oh, and we'll sue the DHS for millions of dollars for violating American citizens civil liberties.

That would be suitable for those thugs.

arentol

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:

If I'm stopped at a checkpoint... and I'm not crossing a border... I will not submit to a search. I will not give them my name or my ID and I will get every civil rights law firm to make sure that every single officer who was at that stop has their lives made total hell... we will publish their names and home addresses so they can be harassed by tens of thousands of Americans... they can see the pitchforks and torches outside their homes and they can fear for their families lives much like the AIG executives did when they received bonuses from the bailout money. Oh, and we'll sue the DHS for millions of dollars for violating American citizens civil liberties.

That would be suitable for those thugs.
How will you go about "not submitting to a search" when so ordered (again, not ASKED) by an LEO? Will you pull out your gun and shoot him? Will you resist in the manner the man in the article used, arguing like an idiot then getting arrested, tased, and beaten? By magically teleporting lawyers from every civil rights organization in the US to the location so they can start processing the lawsuit before the officers even get a chance to break your window (which is what your statement implies)?

You seem to be confusing two ENTIRELY different situations. There is the IMMEDIATE situation of being ordered to leave your car so it can be searched, and the FOLLOW-UP situation of suing every individual officer involved into the ground for 1983 violations. In the IMMEDIATE situation you are legally compelled to follow the officers orders that would be lawful if they did have probable cause. Failure to follow a lawful order is obstruction of justice, and the order is only not lawful if there is no probable cause. However, since IN THE MOMENT you can not be 100% certain there is no probable cause, you put yourself in additional legal jeopardy by failing to obey the order.

Remember, if you do something because you are ORDERED then no consent is given or implied. So the officer can't later argue that you gave permission for the search, and so if turns out there was no probable cause you can still sue for the illegal search.

Again, I say the pastor was an idiot. He obstructed justice and resisted arrest, putting himself in legal jeopardy, without improving his legal situation in regards to the illegal search in ANY WAY. Indeed, he may have lost the basis for a complaint or lawsuit for illegal search entirely, and he may also have lost the chance to suppress any evidence found in his vehicle.

Things I believe:

That their was no lawful probable cause to search the pastors vehicle or detain him for an hour before arresting him.
That border patrol check points more than 1 mile from the border are complete BS and should be illegal. The pastor never should have been pulled over in the first place.
That the above belief is irrelevant at this time because the check points are technically considered legal and so we all have to deal with them.
That if the dog in this case really did not indicate a problem (which seems very likely since no contraband was found) that the DHS officers involved should be brought up on criminal and civil charges for EVERYTHING illegal that followed.
That the DPS personnel (apparently the ones that arrested him in the videos) acted in good faith based on what DHS told them, and should not be penalized for their actions. As far as they knew they were simply dealing with a person who was obstructing justice and resisting arrest and they did what was necessary to affect the arrest of a man locked in his car and refusing to follow what they believed to be lawful orders.
That the pastor was ultimately just looking for publicity and fame.
That neither the DHS or the pastor are entirely in the right in this case.

Also, calling them "jack booted thugs" diminishes your argument. It shows a strong bias and a complete lack of objectivity in your argument and indicates you arguing from a point of emotion and malice rather than from logic and understanding of the facts.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

arentol wrote:
This guy is an idiot.

He shouldn't have resisted the search at ALL. There is no legal right to resist a search if the police say they have probable cause to perform a search. You have to deal with the legal right to search later, via a formal complaint and/or a lawsuit. He should have just said "You search my car, I take your house." If that didn't work, then he should have just let them do it and then sued the officers later under 1983.

Chances are good the dog was being taped by their cruiser so if it really did nothing then he should win the suit. Also, he could probably get the cops to testify in court as to how fantastic and capable the dog is, and how many arrests it helped get. Then he would be able to use the fact that they found nothing illegal to show that they were lying, because if the dog is that accurate at finding contraband it clearly didn't give a signal since there was no contraband to be found in the first place. In effect the officers would end up testifying against themselves if he had a good enough lawyer.
If the police SAY they have probable cause, it doesn't mean they do.

I had a similar incident nearly 10 years ago. Pulled over, accused of 'smelling like weed' (I don't even know what it looks like or smells like). Brought out a dog, it ignored the car and myself for half an hour. The screamed and yelled at the poor mutt the whole time. It finally did as told and pawed my passenger door and went 'passive.'

Then a search of my vehicle ensued. As I live in the country and park on the lawn (there is no driveway) I track in grass clippings all the time. I was cuffed and sat in the cruiser as they field tested a multitude of 'leefy, green substances' as cited in the report. Hours go by, my firearms are all removed, cleared and documented....

This whole time, the officers (yes, about a half-dozen of the toothless jackasses) not engaged in scraping dead grass off of every place they can find it, threaten me with "you better fess up, or we're taking you to jail!" to which I respond "So if a person confesses to a crime, you let them go? They didn't like that... They also hated how I repeatedly told them they were wasting their time. Gosh, how much does the pile of field tests cost the taxpayers?" I kid you not, they must have used over 100 of them.

In the end, they grudgingly give me back my guns and I'm on my way.

I told them "Thanks for cleaning my car up for me! I usually have to PAY the detailer, and there is only one of him!"

It was fun.

Man, I can't wait to get tazed!

They love to drag in the poor mutt and capitalize on that. But it fails on a simple argument. So maybe the dog really does smell weed or crack or whatever. Does it mean it's still there? Is it a used car? We don't know how long ago drugs were present, or if the current owner is in any way responsible. I've seen use of dog as automatic probable cause, fail on the 'freshness' aspect. It's also disassembled constructive possession concepts as well: guy sitting on bench at bus stop, baggie of white rocks on ground behind him. Are they his? Does he even have any idea they are there?

The dog game is not holding up like it used to, and with good cause.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

arentol wrote:
SNIP Will you resist in the manner the man in the article used...
Not to get in the way of the argument.

This is the second time Arentol has said the pastor resisted. I am not so sure.

I was under the impression that passive non-compliance is not considered resistance. Maybe not even obstruction. I seem to recall a Virginia state court case where the court said something to the effect that not cooperating cannot be considered obstruction. That obstruction requires an overt action.

As I recall, the pastor just refused to unlock his door. TheLEOsbreak the window to enforce their asserted probable cause to search. Also, I don't think the pastor can be accused of resisting after the window was broken. They didn't give him a chance; it went from broken glass to immediate taser as I recall.

Can someone please supply a cite that shows that simple not going along with the LEO demands is resisting.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's called passive resistance. An Officer has the authority to escalate to the next level of force, if there is probable cause to believe that a crime is being committed, or about to be committed, and such force is needed to make the arrest.

But the immediate escalation to the tazer, even if they had probable cause, cannot be justified here. Passive resistance does not justify the use of possibly deadly force. That's only one step below shooting him in the head. What happened to everything in between? They made no attempt to physically remove him from the vehicle first. In this, he had no opportunty to physically resist, and thusly, no escalation was needed or acceptable on their part. Excessive force. You don't have to taze someone to get them out of a car.

This is pretty basic stuff they go through at academy... I still remember it.

JBT does not discredit a position, it merely identifies one.