Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Fix Stupid

Post imported post

http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs....D=200990519009

FISHERSVILLE — Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Bluefield man Monday after he reportedly walked into Augusta Medical Center with a sidearm and a ballistics vest underneath his clothing, according to the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office.

Dana Pruett, 19, is charged with impersonating a police officer, a misdemeanor.
    The sheriff’s office said Pruett was accompanying two elderly relatives when hospital security stopped him 3:36 p.m. Hospital officials told authorities that Pruett identified himself as a sheriff’s deputy from Tazewell, and that he placed the weapon inside a vehicle before returning to the hospital when he could not produce law enforcement ID.
    Pruett, who was cooperative, denied that he identified himself as a police officer.
    “He basically thought he had a right to carry in a hospital,” said Lt. Dennis Back of the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office.
    Authorities questioned Pruett at a Stuarts Draft home following the incident. Sheriff’s deputies confiscated a Glock handgun as evidence. The arrest report did not note if the gun was loaded.
    Pruett is free on a personal recognizance bond.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

kenny wrote:
    He basically thought he had a right to carry in a hospital,” said Lt. Dennis Back of the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office.
    So, is he saying you can't? If private property wouldn't the normal rules of private property apply?

I assume this is just the standard "try not to encourage carrying for safety reasons" bit, which is irritating.

Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Post imported post

He basically thought he had a right to carry in a hospital,” said Lt. Dennis Back of the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office.
    This is a no brainer. Unless he is a convicted felon, or is a prohibited person, he does have the right to carry in the hospital.

Link: http://www.healthinforum.org/Augusta...nfo-11093.html

Augusta Medical Center is an independent, not-for-profit, health care organization serving the Staunton, Waynesboro and Augusta County area.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    This is a no brainer. Unless he is a convicted felon, or is a prohibited person, he does have the right to carry in the hospital.

Augusta Medical Center is an independent, not-for-profit, health care organization serving the Staunton, Waynesboro and Augusta County area.

Thanks for looking up the info. It irritates me that so many interviews with police officers at "the scene" end up discouraging or outright denying the carrying firearms.

The fact is had he not lied, everything would have been fine. He may have been asked to take it to his car, but that would have been the end of it.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Post imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

Thanks for looking up the info. It irritates me that so many interviews with police officers at "the scene" end up discouraging or outright denying the carrying firearms.

The fact is had he not lied, everything would have been fine. He may have been asked to take it to his car, but that would have been the end of it.
    Good find.

Of course, that aspect will never get the appropriate consideration if he did in fact inpersonate a cop.

Post imported post

My wife and I took a maternity tour at Leigh Memorial last month and I OC'ed for the entirety.

A couple of :? but no questions and no :what:.

Meh.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

all my hospitals are posted on LARGE signs right in the middle of the doors.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    all my hospitals are posted on LARGE signs right in the middle of the doors.
    After decades of translating Marine-speak, I still have no idea what you're trying to say, Ed.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

My guess is that every hospital he has visited has had a "Ghostbusters" sign on it prohibiting the carrying of firearms...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Thanks, Mike. I suppose it just takes someone a lot closer to a Marine's below-room-temperature IQ to be able to understand it.

Y'know, like a Coastie. :P

~ Boyd

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:

Nothing there indicates it is a publicly owned hospital. Everything actually looks like it is private property, run by Augusta Health Care, Inc. Carrying on someone else's private property is not a right by law, but a privilege.

Post imported post

I've carried concealed in several hospitals in the Tidewater area when visiting various people. I've never seen a sign so far. OC would probably get too much attention in some of the places.

Post imported post

All INOVA hospitals I've seen here, have decenttly sized clear "No revolvers" signs on all doors. No way to miss these signs. May wanna try to carry a semi-auto but I don't think its gonna fly .

Post imported post

Well, I remember how to start a fight in a squid bar, too...

"If it weren't for us Coasties, you squids wouldn't have such good lookin kids!"

"A hundredsquids go to sea in a submarine,fifty couples come back..."

All kidding aside, Thank all of you who have served. My dad is a retired Marine (32 years), older brother is in the Navy, and little brother in the Army. I've heard all the jokes. Not likely to hear anything new here.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
    All INOVA hospitals I've seen here, have decenttly sized clear "No revolvers" signs on all doors. No way to miss these signs. May wanna try to carry a semi-auto but I don't think its gonna fly .
    oops never saw those signs when I have to go there.

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    I've heard all the jokes. Not likely to hear anything new here.
    Same here, but I still get a chuckle out of the good ones.

Say, did ya hear the one about...

~ Boyd

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Well, I remember how to start a fight in a squid bar, too...

"If it weren't for us Coasties, you squids wouldn't have such good lookin kids!"

"A hundredsquids go to sea in a submarine,fifty couples come back..."

All kidding aside, Thank all of you who have served. My dad is a retired Marine (32 years), older brother is in the Navy, and little brother in the Army. I've heard all the jokes. Not likely to hear anything new here.
    1. How do you get a retired Chief off your front porch?

Pay him for the pizza he just delivered.

2. How many sailors does it take to carry a casket at a Chiefs funeral?

Well... a garbage can only has two handles.

I am Navy (Seabee) myself, Grandpa, Dad, Mom, and Unclewas Navy as well. No matter what... much respect is due to those who serve and who have served and also the greatest respect to those who have fallen!!!

Post imported post

back to the original post: Wouldn't this guy have been ok if he had just said "I'm OCing because I am exercising my 2 A rights."

End of discussion. They could ask him to leave or whatever, but he DID take a stupid pill when he stated he was LE.

P. S. Why don't they sell M&M's at the Marine Corps Exchange?

They're too hard to peel...
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
    I took a look at the "no-gun" symbol on the door of my local Wachovia today.

From the graphic, it seems like they are trying to ban italian dueling pistols from the premises

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    My wife and I took a maternity tour at Leigh Memorial last month and I OC'ed for the entirety.

A couple of :? but no questions and no :what:.

Meh.
    Curious.

Sentara has a written policy to address this. No bang bangs. Not for you, not for them, on "Sentara property" excepting LEOs (that would be the guy from NPD they pay to sleep, er, I mean, watch the ED waiting room at Norfolk General) and of course any other LEOs that happen to wander in.

Employee is supposed to notify security who will then come ask you to remove it or yourself from the property.

Maybe you look like an LEO? Or was it your CHP badge?

On a lighter note, several years ago the head of security at NGH staged a 'security event' to 'assess' the response of employees and his team. Without prior notice to ANYONE, not even NPD, an 'actor' busted into the ED and took hostages. Somebody managed to call 911 and report the event. The actor came WAY too close to being perforated like a seive before it all got straightened out. I suspect there was a personal biohazard in the actor's costume.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
    Sentara has a written policy to address this. No bang bangs. Not for you, not for them, on "Sentara property" excepting LEOs (that would be the guy from NPD they pay to sleep, er, I mean, watch the ED waiting room at Norfolk General) and of course any other LEOs that happen to wander in.
    Can you cite?

There was nothing posted on the non-emergency (ambulatory) entrance, nothing in the pre-admission package and I do not find a reference on the sentara.com web site.

And, nobody approached me or asked me to leave while we were there.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Hospitals have many SOP's you as a private individual have no need nor is advance posting of them necessary. You are on private property and once they inform you to comply you are noticed.

Post imported post

kenny wrote:
    You are on private property and once they inform you to comply you are noticed.
    ORLLY?

No s**t, Sherlock. As with anything else, if it ain't posted, I ain't asking.

Why is it so difficult for people to either cite or shutty?

Post imported post

CC'd at a Sentara hospital today because I didn't want to have my appointment cancelled. No problems, of course.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

REALLY and watch your mouth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast