• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can't Fix Stupid

kenny

imported post

http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200990519009

FISHERSVILLE — Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Bluefield man Monday after he reportedly walked into Augusta Medical Center with a sidearm and a ballistics vest underneath his clothing, according to the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office.

Dana Pruett, 19, is charged with impersonating a police officer, a misdemeanor.
The sheriff’s office said Pruett was accompanying two elderly relatives when hospital security stopped him 3:36 p.m. Hospital officials told authorities that Pruett identified himself as a sheriff’s deputy from Tazewell, and that he placed the weapon inside a vehicle before returning to the hospital when he could not produce law enforcement ID.
Pruett, who was cooperative, denied that he identified himself as a police officer.
“He basically thought he had a right to carry in a hospital,” said Lt. Dennis Back of the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities questioned Pruett at a Stuarts Draft home following the incident. Sheriff’s deputies confiscated a Glock handgun as evidence. The arrest report did not note if the gun was loaded.
Pruett is free on a personal recognizance bond.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kenny wrote:
He basically thought he had a right to carry in a hospital,” said Lt. Dennis Back of the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office.
So, is he saying you can't? If private property wouldn't the normal rules of private property apply?

I assume this is just the standard "try not to encourage carrying for safety reasons" bit, which is irritating.

Thundar

imported post

He basically thought he had a right to carry in a hospital,” said Lt. Dennis Back of the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office.

This is a no brainer. Unless he is a convicted felon, or is a prohibited person, he does have the right to carry in the hospital.

Link: http://www.healthinforum.org/Augusta-Medical-Center-info-11093.html

Augusta Medical Center is an independent, not-for-profit, health care organization serving the Staunton, Waynesboro and Augusta County area.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thundar wrote:

This is a no brainer. Unless he is a convicted felon, or is a prohibited person, he does have the right to carry in the hospital.

Augusta Medical Center is an independent, not-for-profit, health care organization serving the Staunton, Waynesboro and Augusta County area.
Thanks for looking up the info. It irritates me that so many interviews with police officers at "the scene" end up discouraging or outright denying the carrying firearms.

The fact is had he not lied, everything would have been fine. He may have been asked to take it to his car, but that would have been the end of it.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Thanks for looking up the info. It irritates me that so many interviews with police officers at "the scene" end up discouraging or outright denying the carrying firearms.

The fact is had he not lied, everything would have been fine. He may have been asked to take it to his car, but that would have been the end of it.

Good find.

Of course, that aspect will never get the appropriate consideration if he did in fact inpersonate a cop.

wylde007

imported post

My wife and I took a maternity tour at Leigh Memorial last month and I OC'ed for the entirety.

A couple of :? but no questions and no :what:.

Meh.

TexasNative

imported post

ed wrote:
all my hospitals are posted on LARGE signs right in the middle of the doors.
After decades of translating Marine-speak, I still have no idea what you're trying to say, Ed.

~ Boyd

TexasNative

imported post

Thanks, Mike. I suppose it just takes someone a lot closer to a Marine's below-room-temperature IQ to be able to understand it.

Y'know, like a Coastie. :p

~ Boyd

Wooley

imported post

MSC, is it true what they say about having to be 6 foot tall to be a coastie? You know, so you can walk back to the beach if the boat sinks?

:DCouldn't resist the interservice rivalrys anymore...Go Navy.

RedKnightt

imported post

Thundar wrote:

Nothing there indicates it is a publicly owned hospital. Everything actually looks like it is private property, run by Augusta Health Care, Inc. Carrying on someone else's private property is not a right by law, but a privilege.

Tacitus

imported post

I've carried concealed in several hospitals in the Tidewater area when visiting various people. I've never seen a sign so far. OC would probably get too much attention in some of the places.

Chaingun81

imported post

All INOVA hospitals I've seen here, have decenttly sized clear "No revolvers" signs on all doors. No way to miss these signs. May wanna try to carry a semi-auto but I don't think its gonna fly :D.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Well, I remember how to start a fight in a squid bar, too...

"If it weren't for us Coasties, you squids wouldn't have such good lookin kids!"

"A hundredsquids go to sea in a submarine,fifty couples come back..."

All kidding aside, Thank all of you who have served. My dad is a retired Marine (32 years), older brother is in the Navy, and little brother in the Army. I've heard all the jokes. Not likely to hear anything new here. :idea:

nova

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
All INOVA hospitals I've seen here, have decenttly sized clear "No revolvers" signs on all doors. No way to miss these signs. May wanna try to carry a semi-auto but I don't think its gonna fly :D.
oops never saw those signs when I have to go there. :lol:

TexasNative

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I've heard all the jokes. Not likely to hear anything new here. :idea:
Same here, but I still get a chuckle out of the good ones.

Say, did ya hear the one about... :D

~ Boyd

DocDaddy

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Well, I remember how to start a fight in a squid bar, too...

"If it weren't for us Coasties, you squids wouldn't have such good lookin kids!"

"A hundredsquids go to sea in a submarine,fifty couples come back..."

All kidding aside, Thank all of you who have served. My dad is a retired Marine (32 years), older brother is in the Navy, and little brother in the Army. I've heard all the jokes. Not likely to hear anything new here. :idea:

1. How do you get a retired Chief off your front porch?

Pay him for the pizza he just delivered.

2. How many sailors does it take to carry a casket at a Chiefs funeral?

Well... a garbage can only has two handles.

I am Navy (Seabee) myself, Grandpa, Dad, Mom, and Unclewas Navy as well. No matter what... much respect is due to those who serve and who have served and also the greatest respect to those who have fallen!!!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

back to the original post: Wouldn't this guy have been ok if he had just said "I'm OCing because I am exercising my 2 A rights."

End of discussion. They could ask him to leave or whatever, but he DID take a stupid pill when he stated he was LE.

P. S. Why don't they sell M&M's at the Marine Corps Exchange?

They're too hard to peel...

Wooley

imported post

Right...on topic: I think 2A would have been perfect.

Off topic: What is the flap on the front of a pair of Navy dress pants for?

Marine napkin.

Let me say thank you to all of you that have served beside, before, or after me.