• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I believe I may be hurting our cause...

acritical

imported post

Ok, so a lot of you know that I am having issues with the BoJangle's in the Raleigh-Durham area all being posted with "No Weapons" signs on their front doors. You may also remember that I have been going to one store quite regularly on 54/55 in Durham as their door only states "No Concealed Weapons".

Last night I went to this store with my girlfriend and noticed that the CONCEALED portion of the signage has been scraped from the door to read "No Weapons". Recently (about a month or so ago) they have a new manager that transfered in from another store and she seemed personally offended that I was able to carry a firearm in the store and stated that she feels that no one should be able to carry a gun inside her store.

When calling management, I assumed that they told her that because of the sign on the door, as long as it is not concealed, it was perfectly legal, for she said nothing more to me that evening. I have been back multiple times and the sign was still the same and she seemed quite put back with the fact that I still came to the store. I am not sure if she took it upon herself to change the sign or she got permission from corporate to do so. Regardless, I have sent an email to BoJangle's about this issue, but do not expect a response.

I guess it is time to start going to Smithfield's Chickenor Church's and back off of BoJangle's before I ruin for those of you that can carry in your respective areas.

KyleKatern

imported post

I drive through a lot of places that I will not go into for gun reasons. However, I also boycott some locations of certain food places if I have a particularly bad time with them

FBI Agent

imported post

A couple of us went to Bo Jangles on Western Blvd in Jacksonville tonight without aproblem. Seems as if they didn't notice wewearing sidearms

acritical

imported post

Sorry for the late post, but I actually heard from BoJangle's on Friday. Not by email but phone.

It was someone from their Customer Representative department, and we had about a 10 minute, cordial conversation.

She stated that it is a corporate policy, decided by their lawyers a few years ago, that all stores should post No Weapons signs. When it was decided, a few stores already had it posted No Concealed Weapons and they either thought that was sufficient or never got around to changing the signs.

However, as they are finding stores that do not have the No Weapons signage, they are instructing them to conform to the policy.

She stated she understood the concern and that she knew that Open Carry was legal in this state and therefore in the store if the sign is no up, and that most of the people that do not care about those signs are criminals and therefore would not deter them from carrying concealed. She even suggested that if I carried concealed, no one would ever know, and I would then be able to carry inside the establishment.

When hearing that, I just stated that I spent too much time of my life to ensure that I stayed out of trouble and the result of that was the ability to get my permit, thought I do not need it to carry openly, and I was not going to become a criminal just to eat chicken. She seem to understand that.

We then talked about customer security, and she stated that BoJangle's take their customer's safety seriously, and the stores that are located in not so good areas, can request full time security or night security and they then make arrangements with the local police departments or security companies.

Not sure if she agreed with the policy or not, but she was at least willing to listen to my concerns.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

acritical wrote:
It was someone from their Customer Representative department, and we had about a 10 minute, cordial conversation.

She stated that it is a corporate policy, decided by their lawyers a few years ago, that all stores should post No Weapons signs. When it was decided, a few stores already had it posted No Concealed Weapons and they either thought that was sufficient or never got around to changing the signs.

However, as they are finding stores that do not have the No Weapons signage, they are instructing them to conform to the policy.

She stated she understood the concern and that she knew that Open Carry was legal in this state and therefore in the store if the sign is no up, and that most of the people that do not care about those signs are criminals and therefore would not deter them from carrying concealed. She even suggested that if I carried concealed, no one would ever know, and I would then be able to carry inside the establishment.

When hearing that, I just stated that I spent too much time of my life to ensure that I stayed out of trouble and the result of that was the ability to get my permit, thought I do not need it to carry openly, and I was not going to become a criminal just to eat chicken. She seem to understand that.

We then talked about customer security, and she stated that BoJangle's take their customer's safety seriously, and the stores that are located in not so good areas, can request full time security or night security and they then make arrangements with the local police departments or security companies.

Not sure if she agreed with the policy or not, but she was at least willing to listen to my concerns.

She did a good job. Seems to me that Bojangles has a pretty good idea of what customer orientation is.

I really like, BTW, your point about not wanting to carry concealed. I mean your reason for that. That smacks of integrity.

acritical

imported post

HankT wrote:
She did a good job. Seems to me that Bojangles has a pretty good idea of what customer orientation is.

I really like, BTW, your point about not wanting to carry concealed. I mean your reason for that. That smacks of integrity.
I have to admit that I was also impressed by her. She did not take the offensive, she did not take the attitude of "why do you need a gun in a restaurant" that we have all heard before. She was very respectful of my opinion and just stated facts, no opinion.

I was thinking I would have a rant to post when she first called, but refreshingly that was not the case.

Also, thank you for your comment. I try to set a positive example of those of us that carry firearms for our personal reason (mainly protection) to not give the anti's any ammo against us.

Gilly

imported post

acritical,

You did well. You argued your point eloquently and respectfully and stood your ground. It sounds like the woman you spoke to responded in kind. Bojangles has made their choice and there is nothing you could have done to change it.

acritical

imported post

Gilly,

Thanks for your response. I do have to say that, even though it did not go the way I hoped it would, I could not have asked for a better conversation between I and the BoJangle's rep.

Yeah, there will always be set backs, but I just brush them off and keep going. I just have to teach my girl how to make tea that rivals theirs. :)

razor_baghdad

imported post

acritical wrote:
Yeah, there will always be set backs, but I just brush them off and keep going. I just have to teach my girl how to make tea that rivals theirs. :)

Drive thru, brother.....drive thru!!!!

and good on ya with Bojangles.....now get'em to take the signs down and we'll be really impressed!! JJ...;)

Thursday

imported post

Seems like you handled this very well. I especially like the part where she said you could always carry concealed and nobody would know better, and you responded that you wished to not do that since it would be unlawful. Kudos to you for handling the situation with the utmost professionalism, and it's also nice that she was willing to listen to your case and not dismissing you.

acritical

imported post

Thank you for your comments. I believe that it may have went a long way with showing her that even though some of us have concealed permits, and it is true that if concealed properly no one would ever know we were carrying, that we still take the law seriously and will not carry illegally, even if it is no more tan a misdemeanor charge.