• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle Open Carry.

OC-Aviator

imported post

I am confused as to why you still need a concealed carry license if you are carrying open in a vehicle. The licence is calleda Concealed Pistollicense, not a Carry a pistol in your car license. The same rule that applies for a person on foot carrying Concealed or Open should apply when in a vehicle. I.E. if i am carryingopen on foot thenI should be able to carry open in my vehicle. Can anyone explain why this law is this way? It does not make any sense to me.

I open carry in Lacey and I hate the fact that I have to pull my pistol form its holster and clear it before I drive in my car.I don't like to touch my pistol in a public area unless I need to use it. I don't want someone to see me clearing it and report a MWAGor misinterpret it for brandishing.

In Texas (my home state) they have the travel law which states (not verbatim) that if you are traveling in your vehicle you can have a loaded firearm in the vehicle with you even if you do not have aCPL. Travelingcould bedefined as either going from El-Paso to Texarkana or one block from your house to the 7-11. Its relative.

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(Just this Section)

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

P.S. I have 9 years of previous LEO experience.

joeroket

imported post

You were an LEO for 9 years and you are confused about the wording of ridiculous laws?

I'm confused about that.

It does not matter what they permit is called. The lawmakers do not want someone carrying a loaded pistol in a car. It is that simple.

OC-Aviator

imported post

What does anyone think we can do to change it. It seems the law was written that way because of the introduction of CPL's without re guard for the already legal Open Carry of the state. Partially because no one practiced it.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

My understanding and mind you i am no lawyer, is that the idea behind it is if an LEO (or anyone i guess) is walking twords your vehicle they would not be able to see the weapon, hence it would be concealed from site, i am sure it has to do with safety more then anything.

adamsesq

imported post

Have your permit. Open carry when you can and you are supported with your permit when you get in the car. Not a problem.

-adamsesq

44Brent

imported post

It's a bad law which infringes on your rights. I would like to see this law repealed.

This law would be less onerous if the state had universal recognition of concealed carry licenses from other states.

Metalhead47

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
Have your permit. Open carry when you can and you are supported with your permit when you get in the car. Not a problem.

-adamsesq
+1

I'm a new gun owner. I decided to OC before I even got my CPL, I got it primarily so I wouldn't have issues carrying in a vehicle. Yes, the law is goofy compared to the other (relatively lenient) gun laws in this state. But this particular law is unlikely to be changed any time soon. I'd suggest not stressing yourself over it and focus your frustration on other battles.

FMCDH

imported post

OC-Aviator wrote:
What does anyone think we can do to change it. It seems the law was written that way because of the introduction of CPL's without re guard for the already legal Open Carry of the state. Partially because no one practiced it.
Don't try and focus on loaded vehicle carry, rather put your activism toward Alaska carry. Of any of the states in the union, I think Washington has the best chance given the proper change of Government.

Metalhead47

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
OC-Aviator wrote:
Don't try and focus on loaded vehicle carry, rather put your activism toward Alaska carry. Of any of the states in the union, I think Washington has the best chance given the proper change of Government.
...expound plz?

j2l3

imported post

ALaska doesn't require alicense for any type of carry. If you meet federal requirements to own and carry, you are good to go, concealed or open.

They do issue a CPL if you want one, but none is required.