• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Refused the right to purchase a firearm

vrc353

imported post

I recently tried to purchase a firearm from a local pawnshop (part of a chain Mr xx)

After discussing the purchase I filled in the CBI background checkform and presented the required paperwork (90 days proof or residency and my green card as I am a legal alien/permenant resident)

Clerk and Manager then told me they had a store policy not to sell guns to non-US citizens. - they didn't even submit the background check to CBI. I followed up with the chain's Director of Operations who basically said 'sue me' and hung up!

Do legal aliens (even ones without antennae!) have different rights under the 2nd amendment?

I have already purchased several firearms from some great gun stores in Colorado and admire/respect the US's stand on the 2nd amendment

Any ideas anyone? (BTW it was a REALLY nice yugo SKS with grenade launcher!)

Steve

mahkagari

imported post

This isn't a 2A issue. The merchant has the right to refuse service to individuals but they do not have a right to discriminate against an entire group of people because of national origin.

CBI already has this covered. A friend of mine had her purchase delayed because of her green card. They couldn't instantly approve her purchase, but did an additional screen and she came back 24 hours to pick up her gun.

You may be able to sueas theDirector of Operations noted, but I personally prefer "voting with your feet" and not shopping there. I'm not familiar with the chain. Can you post some more info so that I can be sure to avoid them? I'll also give them a call to verify the policy.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

First off, there is no "right to purchase a firearm" in under the Colorado constitution or the US constitution. Your rights have not been violated with regard to firearm laws. Having said that, your experience is unfortunate and it's too bad that the seller has such a policy. The best remedy is probably to find another shop and let everyone know about the policy of this shop.

vrc353

imported post

centsi wrote:
First off, there is no "right to purchase a firearm" in under the Colorado constitution or the US constitution. Your rights have not been violated with regard to firearm laws. Having said that, your experience is unfortunate and it's too bad that the seller has such a policy. The best remedy is probably to find another shop and let everyone know about the policy of this shop.

Thanks - probably used the words "rights to purchase" in the wrong context.

The US constituation does have provisions for discriminating against people because of their nationality but I agree with both posts so far that it's better to 'vote with your feet'!

Mr Money in Fort Collins - South College Rd (a real shame because the staff are friendly and helpful, just their senior management has issues)

mahkagari

imported post

I'll give them a call and let them know I will not be shopping therewith my wife, a South African citizen and US legal permanent resident since July 4, 2000.

"I have already purchased several firearms from some great gun stores in Colorado and admire/respect the US's stand on the 2nd amendment."

OOC, what was your CBI experience with other purchases?

Gunslinger

imported post

vrc353 wrote:
I recently tried to purchase a firearm from a local pawnshop (part of a chain Mr xx)

After discussing the purchase I filled in the CBI background checkform and presented the required paperwork (90 days proof or residency and my green card as I am a legal alien/permenant resident)

Clerk and Manager then told me they had a store policy not to sell guns to non-US citizens. - they didn't even submit the background check to CBI. I followed up with the chain's Director of Operations who basically said 'sue me' and hung up!

Do legal aliens (even ones without antennae!) have different rights under the 2nd amendment?

I have already purchased several firearms from some great gun stores in Colorado and admire/respect the US's stand on the 2nd amendment

Steve
No one has the duty to sell to people they choose not to unless protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. You are not protected by this, so the store's policy is completely legal.

vrc353

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
I'll give them a call and let them know I will not be shopping therewith my wife, a South African citizen and US legal permanent resident since July 4, 2000.

"I have already purchased several firearms from some great gun stores in Colorado and admire/respect the US's stand on the 2nd amendment."

OOC, what was your CBI experience with other purchases?
CBI has been fine as long as you have the extra paperwork - they do 'hold' your application for a few hours - longest I've had to wait was overnight. Just be prepared to go back to the gun shop the following day and you'll be fine!

vrc353

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
vrc353 wrote:

Steve
No one has the duty to sell to people they choose not to unless protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. You are not protected by this, so the store's policy is completely legal.
I think you'll find Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 refers to employment discrimination

mahkagari

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I'm not sure of the cite, but I really don't think the restaurant signs of yore stating "No Irish" would go over well with the law these days.

Gunslinger

imported post

vrc353 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
vrc353 wrote:

Steve
I think you'll find Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 refers to employment discrimination
I didn't mean to include Title VII--in the CRA of 1964. Been having some problems with Title VII, so must have been a Freudian slip...meant Title II. As I said, this transaction was not under the aegis of interstate commerce, hence no discriminatory sales practices were involved. Colorado has no duty clause to sell in any regard.