• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headline: "Man Arrested In Wild West Sacramento Shootout"

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

When I read the headline, I expected to read about two cowboys gunslinging at high noon.

Turns out, this is not about a "Wild West" shootout, it's about a "wild" shootout in West Sacramento.

For those too lazy to click over to the CBS13, the story is copied below.

=======================================================

Man Arrested In Wild West Sacramento Shootout WEST SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ―West Sacramento police have made an arrest in connection with a wild shootout in West Sacramento last night that ended with one man dead and six others hurt including two innocent bystanders.

Overnight, police arrested 24-year-old Michael Moniz.

Witnesses reported a chaotic scene just after 6 p.m. on the 1100 block of Cummins Rd. when two groups of people opened fire on each other with a handgun and shotgun, wounding at leastsix people in the hail of gunfire.

Police say two men began shooting at a house Wednesday night over a long-running argument of where to park cars. Residents inside the house fired back with a shotgun, killing one of the attackers, 32-year-old Joeseph BillVillanueva. The coroner says one shotgun blast hit Villanueava woulding him in his neck, left shoulder and right thorax. Another attacker outside was shot as well as three people inside the home.

More than 15 shots were fired. Two elderly bystanders were also caught in the crossfire.

Aseventh victim arrived at a local hospital later in the evening but it was not clear how the person was wounded in the shootout.

Law enforcement agencies from surrounding cities and counties rushed to assist the West Sacramento Police Department in the manhunt for the shooter.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I posted this for two reasons:

1) It is an example of why we should not let our guard down. These thugs could have just as easily waited to ambush their victims in the parking lot, rather than shooting into their home. Fortunately for the victims, they were attacked in their castle, where they could possess their arms without fear of persecution or prosecution.

2) It illustrates media bias. Would anybody disagree with me if I accused CBS of trying to push the "wild west" angle of anti-gun sentiment? They may have no motive further than grabbing the viewers' attention - more clicks means more ad revenue, after all. Of course, they could also have the motive of an anti-gun agenda at the same time.

AyatollahGondola

imported post

West sac was the wild west. I used to have my business located there until baseball came to town and booted me out. West Sac used to have around 3 officers total back then, and lots of petty crime. The river is close too, and there were many transients and drug users all around. I learned that we were primarily on our own as far as protecting property, and a little so on personal protection also. That same area where this happened is fairly close to where a train enginner was attacked and beaten by some local thugs two years ago. I have a relative living there still, but I'm out. Gun or no, west sac is a weak spot in community effort.

KylaGWolf

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I posted this for two reasons:

1) It is an example of why we should not let our guard down. These thugs could have just as easily waited to ambush their victims in the parking lot, rather than shooting into their home. Fortunately for the victims, they were attacked in their castle, where they could possess their arms without fear of persecution or prosecution.

2) It illustrates media bias. Would anybody disagree with me if I accused CBS of trying to push the "wild west" angle of anti-gun sentiment? They may have no motive further than grabbing the viewers' attention - more clicks means more ad revenue, after all. Of course, they could also have the motive of an anti-gun agenda at the same time.
:banghead: Of course the media is going to spin this for all they can. Your also made a great point of this could have happened anywhere. I know where we live parking is at a premium. And well as I have said in other parts of this forum and CGN we definitely cannot count on the police to show up in our part of town if we call even if it is a dangerous situation. Hell last summer we had a tourist beat almost to death by two idiots with a skateboard and then they tossed him in the firepit. Less than two blocks from our place.