Thread: New user, question about application process for CCDW

Post imported post

I have a question about the application process for the CCDW. I have already taking the instruction course and just received the certification and need to take it to the sheriff's office.

My question is about the residency requirement. I have had a Kentucky drivers license for 8 years now.

A few years back I "moved" to NYC for college. During summer break in 2007 I was back in Kentucky and bought my first handgun with no problem at a gun store. (Of course, I left it in KY when I went back to school in the fall).

I'm about 9 days shy of living in KY for "6 months" since I moved back in December. When I ran my credit report it still had a NYC address listed which I am working on correcting, but my permanent address has always been my house in KY. I never got a NY license, always kept my Kentucky one.

I just don't want to get disqualified. Am wondering if I need to wait about 2 weeks before going to apply for the permit at the sheriff's office or if I'll be okay.

I only ask because I didn't have any trouble buying the handgun when I lived in NY, so am wondering if that is the same background check they do for a CCDW.

Thanks in advance!!

Post imported post

You should be good as long as you keptpaying kentucky taxes. Plus you still have a kentucky license and it remained your home of record. Your best bet is to call your local sheriff department and see what you will need to provideas proof ofresidency. From there you can make an informed decision.

Post imported post

Yea, I'd just take the copy of the certificate down to your local sheriff's office and ask them. The most they would do would be to tell you to wait until the end of the month. But, they may simply say everything is fine and process your paperwork. Believe me, by the time Frankfort gets to processing your paperwork, you would have been in the state for more than 6 months!

Welcome to the forum!

Reg

Post imported post

thanks for the quick responses!!

I'll call my sheriff and see what he says.

The only year I didn't pay any taxes to KY was 2008. I didn't work when I came home that summer, but in 2007 I did, as well as 2006 and now 2009.

I guess I'll know soon enough.

Post imported post

Don't worry about it. Your drivers license and one current bill will serve as proof of residency. License establishes length, bill establishes that it is current.

Post imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
    Don't worry about it. Your drivers license and one current bill will serve as proof of residency. License establishes length, bill establishes that it is current.
    I agree