• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safariland holsters

Michigander

imported post

I've decided I for sure want to plop the money down to get a level 3 holster for my Sig, and the Safariland hood feature looks very good to me, because it looks like a snap, and it would confuse someone that tried to grab it.

I've got 2 questions about this. First, which Safariland model is probably the best buy for security and speed in a OC role? Second, where is the best place to buy them from? And by best place I mean decent price AND reliable/fast delivery.

I know the serpa is much more common among folks here, so I hope at least a few people here are familar with Safariland stuff. :uhoh:

Thanks in advance.

Michigander

imported post

The models you linked to are what I've been looking at, but the problem is that they have a LOT of different models and options. Levels 2, 3 and 4, sometimes even 5. I don't want something that will be easy to snatch any more than I want something that can be almost impossible to draw.

The one I'm the most intrigued by is the 6070, but I'm hoping someone here can relate some experience with these things before I go spend money on one. They're too expensive to impulse buy. :?

colt45ws

imported post

I have a Safariland 6378 holster for my USP. It just has the ALS nothing else. I don't like making it too complicated. Its very natural to push down there on the draw so it releases without even thinking about it. But you would still have to nearly rip it off my pants without pushing the release I bet. They did screw up my order though, when I initially received it was a left handed version, but it had the sticker on the package for a righty. I sent it back and I got the same wrong one back. I had to send them a pic of it and they had UPS pick it up and overnighted the correct one.:lol:

Michigander

imported post

I looked up that model, and it looks about like a Serpa, but with a much less obvious release button. Do you feel pretty confident that it would work if an average bad guy tried to grab it?

david.ross

imported post

Safariland is by far the best retention holster. There are seveal types of holsters available. Retention features require manual release per feature unlike what I've seen with blackhawk's one button release all.

You can also upgrade the Level III to a Level IV by including the SLS hood guard, there might be some other accessories for upgrading the level as well.

Personally, I use a mid ride for my XD 45.

In case you're not familiar with the "ride"...

1.5" drop is for use with ballistics vests. The 1.5" drop allows the vest to rest slightly above the armor since armor might block your holster.

Mid ride is the most common, you can do any activity you wish and sometimes conceal depending on your apparel.

High ride is best for concealment. Not the best to jog with depending on the weight of the firearm + ammo.

I recommend you invest in a good duty belt + belt keepers. You'll get annoyed taking the safariland belt plate off you every night, mag holder, and any accessories you might have attached to the belt. When you wear a duty belt, you just unsnap the belt keepers and take the belt off. I recommend at least 8 belt keepers, use the double sized belt keepers if needed so you only have to buy 4.

I should also note, you may want to look at the MLS system from Safariland.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/duty/mls.aspx

The MLS system will allow you to easily switch between tactical and belt base systems.

Don't be afraid of wearing a tactical holster in public, holster is a holster. Tactical will allow a faster draw.

Don't pay attention to any keyboard commandos with their "mall ninja" nonsense, they need to get out of their mother's basement.

Michigander

imported post

The mid ride is definitely my favorite level. I've got a mid ride uncle Mike's sidekick that I use for jogging. Easy to open carry without much fear of concealment, and it doesn't bounce around too much.

About belts, I use 1 3/4" tool belts almost exclusively for every day use, and they easily handle carrying my 45. I like to use whatever works, and I'm not opposed to duty belts. Just don't really have a need for one currently.

I suppose a proper duty belt would have been better in AZ (and will be when I go back), because I carried a lot of crap, since I knew the police wouldn't give me a hard time about having a switch blade or dagger and a baton also OC'd on my belt. But here, I don't even carry a knife of any kind when I OC because Michigan cops sometimes are outright hostile to us and would jump at a chance to bust us over a local knife ordinance.

Anyway, if you're that confident about them being the best, and if no one has anything bad to say about them, I think I'll order a 6070 in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the info guys.

colt45ws

imported post

Very. If I feel I need extra protection I can add my elbow over it. Like I said, if you don't know the release you would probably have to break it off my pants.

Michigander

imported post

I changed my mind on the 6070, and I just ordered the 6280 and the optional add on stuff to boost the retention level. Specifically the hood guard thingy and the sentry thingy or whatever they're called. I decided that it's the best of all worlds, because I can add in the extra security if I want, I think level 4 with all the stuff on it, for going somewhere very crowded, and I can also have it to where it's at level 1 with the hood down so I can be ready to draw it real fast when I feel that status is appropriate. And for general use, level 2 or 3 might be good too.

And of course if I decide I don't like it, I can always sell it.:cool:

david.ross

imported post

>.> How is the 6280 not better than the 6070? I do have the 6280 soon with a SLS hood...

I'm honestly not sure you can add both the SLS hood and the security tab both on the holster to obtain a level IV... Personally I'd think the 6070 would be more of a worth price if the security features don't annoy a person.

What I can say is you'll find officers who can't disable the SLS hood... soo.. >.>...

Michigander

imported post

It depends on what your situation is for deciding which is better, but I just decided I don't want that ALS. A straight draw when I want it is nice, as is a hood that others will think is a strap when I want to use it. In my situation, I'm not at all concerned with going back to level 2 retention upon re-holstering, because I'm not about to move in to cuff a bad guy. If there's still a threat after I draw, my gun will still be out. I'd much rather know that my gun will slide out without a problem when it needs to than worry about something that doesn't concern me.

I suppose I'm not real worried about whether or not I can use both of the add on thingies, because having both I can always decide which I like better. For the price they cost, I think they were a very good buy.

curtm1911

imported post

Hey Michigander, you livin in a High Crime Area as opposed to where you lived when you was here......IMROFLMAO..........STAY SAFE MY FRIEND. Are You Becoming Quick Draw McGraw...........and I'll be Babalouie.......................LOL.............'salrite..................:)

Thanks for the kudos for the SGC. You're welcome anytime. Four Peaks awaits too.

See ya later..........

Michigander

imported post

Nah, just go to Preskitt!

Last time I was there it was over 100 in the valley, and 70-ish in the 7,500'+ elevated pine forest. :cool:

curtm1911

imported post

Correct Pronunciation, Wrong Spelling, We Have Our PRIDE...................

When in Prescott, pronounced his way...... go to the Sharlot Hall Museum, and Tread Lightly on "Whiskey Row", it is right next to the Courthouse, How Convienient..................Enjoy that Town, First Terriotorial Capital, the Museum and it isis the First Offical Building I reckon in the State...............and if you can find that, find the Walker Tunnel, and the Charcoal Kiln............. Neat Places..........out behind Mayer, Crown King, and All Points In Between..............ZZTOP

Michigander

imported post

Got my holster today. This thing is awesome! It makes these nice click noises when you operate it. Everything about it exudes quality. I had my brother try to figure out how to snatch my gun from it, and he couldn't figure it out.

It says in the paper work that came with it that the hood and sentry can't be used together. However, it appears that this is false, because it looks like all you need for them to work together is longer bolts. I'll have some fun trying out that hypothesis.

I experimented with the tensioner screw, but I've decided to leave it loose. If you tighten it down, the gun will only come straight out when pulled just right, and I don't consider that an asset, rather it is a potential problem for me if I have to draw.

david.ross

imported post

I tighten the screw on mine down well. I like the fact I must draw straight up to prevent gun grabs.

Did you get a duty belt with keepers or are you just wearing the holster on a regular/or garrison belt?

Michigander

imported post

I almost always wear a 1 3/4" belt sold as a replacement belt for construction tool belts. It's thicker and more durable than most police belts I've handled, and a bargain at the 6 bucks it cost me.

Like I was saying before, I don't really need a duty belt at this point, because I normally only carry my gun for defense when I'm carrying my gun. Only firearms are preempted in this states laws, and many cops loathe us (the us against them cops, the exception, not the rule, but they are out there), and would jump on a chance to bust us over a local ordinance. I carry my spare mags in a easily accessible USMC surplus 1911 mag pouch in my back pocket. Because of all this, I have no reason to wear a duty belt, because the holster just slides right on and off.

When I get back to AZ, I'll definitely use one, because I'll have a knife and a baton also on my belt. Duty belts are inexpensive, not bad looking, and very useful. It's definitely something I plan on using when I return home to Free America.

I saw one at the store today for 8 bucks, and almost bought it, but I just don't need it at this point.

Michigander

imported post

Upon thinking about it, I decided to go ahead and buy a duty belt. :lol:

Cost me 21 bucks, plus another 7 for the keepers. Could have got the 8 dollar one, but china can kiss my ass, I'd rather give my money to a fellow working man here stateside.

You were right! This thing is very nice. The holster doesn't move around any, and it doesn't look bad, or overly tacticool.

I decided that I'm going to take it walking tonight, and I'm going to use it to carry 4 extra mags instead of my normal 2 in my pocket, and maybe a spare camera, plus of course the Safariland.