• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok this it it! Open Carry litter pickup planned for SE Alabama!

Dianosis

imported post

Ok everyone who has asked or wanted an Open Carry event in SE Alabama, this is it! I have decided to step up and organize an open carry litter pickup in Dothan, Al.

Here is the info so far:

When: Saturday, June 27, 2009

Where: Dothan, Al. Meeting in the Shoney's or Bruno's parking lot.

Who: Everyone, carrying or not.

Why: Pick up trash off the circle to help keep Dothan beautiful.

Rules if your plan to carry:

1. Recommend everyone carrying having a concealed carry permit. In Alabama you have to have a cc permit for a firearm in your vehicle.
2. No alcohol or drugs.
3. Legal age to carry.
4. No long guns.
5. Keep gun safety's on at all times.
6. Don't unholster your weapon. If someone asks to see it, please just turn your hip.
7. Please keep in mind at all times we are trying to shed open carrying in a positive light. Please be SAFE, professional, courteous, unconfrontational, responsible adults.

I will provide trash bags and latex gloves. Please bring your own pickup stick if you don't want to bend over. I also plan to have at least couple non-carriers with video cameras to document the event and for safety.
In a few days I will provide a flyer or download, printing and distributing. I will also be contacting various media outlets.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON ATTENDING:

I welcome all comments, suggestions, and feedback. If you plan to attend, please provide the following info:

Name
Email Address
Plan to carry or not

Send this info to: opencarry@charter.net

I need this info to get an idea of potential attendance. I will only use the email addresses to keep you posted of the plans or to let you know of last minute changes, etc.

Guys I need your support so please get onboard and lets have a successful event. If anyone wants to help organize this with me please let me know. I believe strongly in this cause or I wouldn't sacrifice my time and effort. I am married with 2 children and work full time but we need this! If this goes good, I'd love to organize an cookout next. We have just over a month to plan and make a great event. -Jason

You can sleep with a gun
When you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and fight

For yourself

sigshape

imported post

This is fate. I visit this site once every few months or weeks checking for something like this and just HAPPEN to visit tonight. I will be coming out from mobile. Will my holster need a snap?

Not sure how I feel about being video taped though, oh well.

sigshape

imported post

Would Daphne not be a more logical choice though? That would get a TON of attention, and it's a middle ground between two big cities: mobile and pensacola.

Dianosis

imported post

The video was only if Leo's show up and we needed proof we were just picking up trash, and they tend to be more civil if cameras are rolling. Just a precaution for us, nothing more.

To my knowledge there is no law requiring a specific retention device. I would recommend it be secure obviously.

Dothan is an area I am familiar with and it's the largest city in this area with a population of over 65000. Plus it's within 50 miles of large cities in Florida and Georgia. So it's still a good central location. I am also familiar with the media outlets here. But certainly we can look at other locations for future events.

sigshape

imported post

After reading the mobile thread I am so jaded and angry that I changed my mind, you can read my post in the mobile thread to glean my attitude from it but it just isn't worth it at this stage in my life to risk anything after the horror stories I've read here.

I'm sorry man. I will show up if you get a decent amount of people but will not OC.

HungSquirrel

imported post

Dianosis, you are to be commended for your initiative.

Be wary of CoA Section 13A-11-59. It is written broadly enough that a sufficiently tyrannical LEO could conceivably charge you under it. Such charges would be dropped after getting a good lawyer (oxymoron) involved.

Not trying to discourage you, though. :cool:

I will have to ponder whether I will make the drive from Mobile. It's a long one, and I recently purchased a vehicle whose gas mileage isn't so great... :uhoh: However, it seats five with cargo space to spare, so some Mobilians could get together and carpool!

Dianosis

imported post

Thanks for the heads up, and thats why I'll be promoting it as a litter pickup not an open carry demonstration. However, everyone is invited to join, if some choose to open cary while doing so, well that is their right. ;)

Tophog

imported post

We wish you well.

Oor OC trash pick-up in North Las Vegas was not a large event, but it went smooth. No confrontations, even had kids involved, and made a good impression on the public.

And the cameras rolling is a good idea. Prevents LEO's from making mistakes. If someone who is not with your group interviews you, make sure you say that it is a clean-up by concerned citizens, not a 'demonstration'. You know how the press can twist words!

HungSquirrel

imported post

Mobile area residents: I will be willing to drive us to Dothan if we can get at least two more Mobile area residents to go with me and split the cost of gas.

Dianosis

imported post

Alabamaian thanks for your post I commend you on your zeal and patriotism. I have come to a point in my life where I was thinking, if I died tomorrow, what will people remember me for? I didn't have a real good answer. All I know is I have a gnawing feeling that won't go away. I'm tired of being afraid to speak out. I'm tired of the backwards views people have on security vs. freedom. I'm tired of not having a government that fears it's people. I'm tired of cops who answer to no one. I'm tired of seeing people tazed. I'm tired of being called extremist, terrorist, and put on a list for standing up for my rights. I'm just damn tired. Put me on a list! I don't care, take that list and shove it. At least now I know someday when I'm gone, someone can look my son or daughter in their eyes and say "Your father was a patriot, he stood up for our rights and fought for liberty"

You know, one of the things I have the hardest time with is this. LEO's want us to obey the law, ok, the law in Alabama right now is I can openly carry. I AM following the law, you don't get to pick and choose which ones you like and don't like. And instead of supporting the people who are trying to do things the right way, you call us terrorists and treat us like the criminals. How can we follow the law and stand up for that law and fight for that law and be called a terrorist or criminal? We should be praised by LEO's for doing things legal and upholding the law!

Sorry I didn't mean to get into all that....as for the cookout suggestion, I'm all for it. Believe me, I rather sit around with you guys and talk with a big dbl cheeseburger instead of picking up litter! But we need to test the waters with a small sucessful event. After that, I'm game for whatever. I was thinking along these lines too, how would it look on the leo's for disrupting a litter pickup? We are doing something positive for the community while exercising our rights.

You can sleep with a gun
When you gonna wake up
When you gonna wake up and fight

For yourself

Dianosis

imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
Mobile area residents: I will be willing to drive us to Dothan if we can get at least two more Mobile area residents to go with me and split the cost of gas.

I'll chip in as well....thanks Hung

dixieborn

imported post

sounds like a great thing! but i can't make any promises yet, gotta see what the work schedule looks like. if i can make it though, i'll chip in with the mobile lot!

cody180sx

imported post

this is my first post on here and i'm from dothan. I came across this forum looking for information on open carry laws. Dianosis i'd be willing to help like print out papers with the law and all and would very much like to educate people about open carry laws in alabama and dothan. For the last couple of days i've asked many officers and they all say it's illegal but can't show me any law that states it is just send me an e-mail at cdbral@aol.com to set something up

Dianosis

imported post

Here's the flyer for the litter pickup. It's in .pdf format, I can also provide it in publisher format if anyone wants it that way.

cvickers

imported post

Wish I could be there to participate. I just returned from a short visit to Geneva County. I only went to one store during my stay but I open carried in a Piggly Wiggly store. My friend that was with me did not even realize I was open carrying. (He knew I had a weapon and had approved my carrying on his property & vehicle) No one in the store apparently noticed and I didn't have to deal with any Law Enforcement. I will continue to open carry as much as I can when I go back.

Dianosis

imported post

The litter pickup is still planned for this weekend, We will be meeting at Shoneys at 3054 Ross Clark Circle, at 9:00am. Depending on the turnout we will go forward with the litter pickup or just have a nice breakfast at Shoneys or both. If you arrive late, check inside Shoneys as we may be eating or if you'll email me before the event, I will reply with my cell so you can call for our location.

Whether you intend to carry or not your are welcome to attend, and please spread the word. Thanks to all who have replied already! Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Sorry if the time is alittle early for some of you that are traveling a good distance. But with the heat being like it is right now the earlier the better.