• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got my New 1911 Grips

FunkTrooper

imported post

So I just got my new coco bolo grips in the mail today and they look and feel great. I was a little nervous as to the quality because it only cost me $45.00 with shipping and handling but I was wrong.

They cut it to fit my Taurus PT1911 and it sure looks pretty now the next thing I'm gonna change is the hammer.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Looks like an old weapon with new grips to me. But "old" is a bit perjorative. Yours looks to rather be "well-seasoned" (amazing the constructs a guy in his mid 50s can come up with). Is she dependable? Accurate? And do the new grips afford you a better hold on her?

I am reminded of a story about Wyatt Earp buying a pair of revolvers, and choosing a pair of used ones over new ones because he wanted proven dependability and no stiffness in the action. I understand wanting to improve appearances, but to me a well-seasoned firearm (not rusted or corroded, just well-seasoned) tells me that here is a man who practices with his weapon and knows it. There is cachet and then there is cachet', ne cest pas?

FunkTrooper

imported post

It's definitely reliable, I trust my life to it every time I leave my apartment, it's also very accurate when I shoot it, it just feels right and even without looking down the sights I know where my shots are going. The grips are a bit wider than the stock ones and it feels even more natural in my hands and affords it a more classy look (versus the black plastic grips). I've gotten so accustomed to it's presence that when where apart I feel naked.

richarcm

imported post

Grips on the 1911 can completely change the look of the gun. I had an all blue PT-1911, put some zebra wood grips on them and it went from Zzzzzzz...to BEAUTIFUL. Such a difference!

I might also suggest, more for the feel, adding Pearce Finger Groove Grips underneath of those wood grips. They are only about $10 but make such a difference in how the gun feels in your hands.

kimber.gif

http://www.pearcegrip.com/colt-gov.htm#Kimber%27s

bugly

imported post

I went with the "slim grips" on my RIA 1911, then added some "skateboard tape" on the front strap, works great, never slips and it has the added benefit of having a reflective stripe in the tape that makes it easier to find with a flashlight if it ever were to get dropped (the stripe is covered by my middle finger when held, great positioning tool also).

reconvic

imported post

I have 2 favorite grips both on 1911's one is full size the other is a commander Bobtail, You seen My Bobtail this is my Sig full Size .45

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
So I just got my new coco bolo grips in the mail today and they look and feel great. I was a little nervous as to the quality because it only cost me $45.00 with shipping and handling but I was wrong.

They cut it to fit my Taurus PT1911 and it sure looks pretty now the next thing I'm gonna change is the hammer.
Look nice!

reconvic

imported post

Grips are a personal choice I have tried thin grips and to be honest they do not work as well for me, but everyones hands are different and use what works for you. I sort of love the double Diamond grips for my shooting and I use the same type grips on all my full size 1911.If it be for Matches or S/D it will make you a better shooter when you use everything the same, down to your stance.
S/F Vic

Sonora Rebel

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:

M1911 diamond cut walnut grips. Standard military issue.

Legba

imported post

Those look nice. I'm in the market for rubber "combat" grips for a couple of older guns - maybe my Stars. Anyone know of a suitable source?

-ljp

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Legba wrote:
Those look nice. I'm in the market for rubber "combat" grips for a couple of older guns - maybe my Stars. Anyone know of a suitable source?

-ljp
Bob's Gun Parts has loads of Star grips. Not sure if he has any rubber ones but he can tell who, if anybody, has them.
http://www.gun-parts.com/grips2/

Yata hey

PS - Check out these grips on my M40 Fire Star.

RJ

Banned
imported post

Nice grips, I've picked up a few different grips for some of my units from
Rasscogrips, some nice stuff and prices.

Nothing like changing the look of a working unit.
RJ