• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time carrier...

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm looking at open carrying for my first time (in public) tomorrow and was wondering what the general consensus was on what you should have with you. From reading so far I'd say...

Firearm (loaded and holstered)
Case (for transport in vehicle)
Valid ID
Digital or tape voice recorder
One or two spare mags
Cell Phone

Anything I missed?

As for where, looking at going to Gander Mountain and then to the Best Buy on blumound to pick up a voice recorder. No schools out that way that I know of, but then up until now I've never had a reason to look for them, haha. Would love any feedback and/or advise. Thanks in advance!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Parabellum's brochure won't take up much room! Required reading for all who OC in WI.

BTW, if you're going to those places, you're on private property. Wouldn't matter if they were directly across the street from a school.

Oh oh... I almost forgot. Good luck! Let us know how it went, felt, etc.

AaronS

imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
I'm looking at open carrying for my first time (in public) tomorrow and was wondering what the general consensus was on what you should have with you. From reading so far I'd say...

Valid ID
One or two spare mags
Cell Phone

Anything I missed?

As for where, looking at going to Gander Mountain and then to the Best Buy on blumound to pick up a voice recorder. No schools out that way that I know of, but then up until now I've never had a reason to look for them, haha. Would love any feedback and/or advise. Thanks in advance!
I don't live to far, you doing anything fun?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:

Valid ID
One or two spare mags
Cell Phone

Anything I missed?

I don't live to far, you doing anything fun?
Wasn't really planning on anything specific other than going to those couple stores. If you have something in mind and/or wanna meet up and roll around send me a pm. I'm game for whatever.

eleuthera

imported post

Here's the advice I've given my friends:

Remember a couple rules:
1. Be friendly! wear a smile and cooperate with police. Our goal is not to fight them, but rather to win them over.
2. No guns on property where alcohol can be consumed (bars, etc), and no drinking while carrying.
3. Cops cannot legally take your gun unless they reasonably suspect you of criminal activity. They must be able to state what they suspect you of.
4. Bring a voice recorder. ($30 from radio shack)
5. If the owners of private property ask you to leave, you are compelled by law to do so. See point number 1.
6. Gun must be cased and unloaded in the trunk when driving. Don't bring any loaded magazines with, but bring ammo and load when you get there.
7. Stay out of the 1000 foot school zones (there is a map available, find it) UNLESS you are on private property.
8. No guns in publicly owned buildings.
9. Guns are legal in county and city parks, but you will be cited and fined $800. You'll have to fight it in court.
10. Gun stays in the holster.

and dude there's a ton of law that's hard to follow, so let me know if you have ANY questions. If you are in any doubt, DON'T DO IT. You don't want a felony on your record.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eleuthera wrote:

Remember a couple rules:
1. Be friendly! wear a smile and cooperate with police. Our goal is not to fight them, but rather to win them over.
2. No guns on property where alcohol can be consumed (bars, etc), and no drinking while carrying.
3. Cops cannot legally take your gun unless they reasonably suspect you of criminal activity. They must be able to state what they suspect you of.
5. If the owners of private property ask you to leave, you are compelled by law to do so. See point number 1.
6. Gun must be cased and unloaded in the trunk when driving. Don't bring any loaded magazines with, but bring ammo and load when you get there.
7. Stay out of the 1000 foot school zones (there is a map available, find it) UNLESS you are on private property.
9. Guns are legal in county and city parks, but you will be cited and fined $800. You'll have to fight it in court.

and dude there's a ton of law that's hard to follow, so let me know if you have ANY questions. If you are in any doubt, DON'T DO IT. You don't want a felony on your record.

Yea, thinking I have a pretty good handle on it. Don't have the voice recorder yet but am picking that up at best buy. Wouldn't say that I'm in any doubt, just a little nervous. I know it's stupid but it's still hard to shake the feeling that I'm gonna walk into a place, have some wimp employee panic and call the police. I don't have anything to hide and have a squeaky clean record but I have met some nice cops and some asshats. But yea, I'll be wearing a nice smile instead of my usual "I'm in a hurry so don't screw with me scowl" haha.

AaronS

imported post

eleuthera wrote:

Remember a couple rules:

I got a question (tell me I have been breaking the law).

Whats this "no loaded mags" stuff?

I keep my gun in the back seat (SUV, and case), and I keep a mag (loaded) in the glove box.

As far as I can tell, thats the letter of the law. Did I miss something?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

AaronS wrote:
eleuthera wrote:

Remember a couple rules:

I got a question (tell me I have been breaking the law).

Whats this "no loaded mags" stuff?

I keep my gun in the back seat (SUV, and case), and I keep a mag (loaded) in the glove box.

As far as I can tell, thats the letter of the law. Did I miss something?
He was giving you his "advice" not the law. The law has no prohibition from having a loaded magazine, only a prohibition against having a loaded magazine inserted into the firearm while transporting by vehicle.

I've yet to see a legal basis for the "in the trunk" statements that we hear so often. If having an encased, unloaded firearm within your reach is "carrying a concealed weapon" then the police could just sit outside any gun shop and arrest every person who exits with "one of those boxes" under their arm. (And then be laughed out of the courtroom.)

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will reiterate what shotgun posted, read the pamphlet (I just uploaded the latest version to the thread () shotgun pointed to.

Personally, I'd recommend AGAINST loading mags, as that is way to much handling and can draw to much attention. Just keep the mag out and chamber/action open during transport. Then when you get to your location:

Remove case from vehicle.

Open Case

Retrieve firearm

Retrieve mag

load mag, chamber round.

Safety on

Holster firearm

return case to vehicle

on your way.

once you return to your vehicle,

remove the case from the vehicle

unload and encase in the reverse manner.

Now be sure to practice unloading the firearm before you go out. The mag comes out easy, but you will need to be able to un-chamber that one round while still being safe.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just got home a little bit ago. Decided for my first attempt I would carry my Kimber in condition three cuz it's a little easier and not as noisy getting in ad out of the car.

Went to Gander Mountain to see if I could find a double mag holder but they didn't have any. Was asked by a one of the guys back by the gun counter if I was a Police Officer. After I said that I was not he said he had to go and check with a manager. He came back and said that he just wanted to make sure and that there wasn't an issue. I smiled and said "No biggie, nothing wrong with making sure." After that went to Farm and Fleet right by Gander for some shoes. Was in and out in a few minutes and don't really think anyone even noticed. Drove down to Office Max (or Office Depot, I can never remember which is which) and bought an voice recorder. Had to have an employee help me out cuz I couldn't find the damn thing, haha. Finally went to Gloden Gyros on 73rd and Lincoln in West Allis. I'm good friends with the owner so I knew everything would be all good there. We had a nice chat while my food was cooking and he spent most of the time drooling over my Kimber and asking lots of questions. Had a burger and fries while sitting outside, looking at the school that was 2 blocks away. Ironically, one my mother used to teach at.

All in all it was fairly uneventful. I think most people know it's legal or just assume that if you're carrying you're a cop. Either way it went pretty well. Btw, if you're in the area I do suggest you stop and grab some food at Golden Gyros. I've been eating there since I was little and the food is just out of this world!

Edit for spelling, haha.

MJ

imported post

Alot of people ask me if I am a cop or a fed, and I think many might assume that.

Be very careful near school zones, there is a 1000ft rule when you are not on private property. I have been told this can be a felony and it would really be hard to fight.

Rick Finsta

imported post

I think there's a lot of confusion between the federal amnesty-in-travel law (unloaded and encased, and either locked or in the trunk so as to not be easily accessible, ammunition stored separately) and the State DNR regulation (unloaded and encased when in or on a motor vehicle).

The problem is the 3-prong test for CCW from Hamdan (or was it Fisher?) says nothing about the weapon being unloaded, so technically you are "concealing" the weapon if you 1) know it is there, 2) have it within easy reach, and 3) it is concealed from ordinary view. I agree with the assessment that a cased and unloaded firearms being considered CCW would get a DA laughed out of all but the highest-hopping of kangaroo courts, but YMMV.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Nik;

That Airweight you use; is that .38 only, or is it a.357, and you just run .38's thru it?

.38 S&W SPL. +P

I can't remember for sure now why I went with the 38 instead of 357. IIRC I talked to an acquaintance who had one and he said that the 357 wasa BEAST on the palm to shoot with the little handle/grip.

I figure with the .38 SPL +P and hollow points it should do the trick.

I looked at a bunch of the airweights. Looked at one in "scandium" or something like that in 357 that was even lighter. Also looked at some hammerless airweights and HATED the trigger pull on the hammerless guns.

Very happy with my 637