• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee River Splash Festival

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

So the Milwaukee River Splash festival is next weekend.

Last year I guess there was some shenanigans, bottles thrown, a shot fired. So what do the dumb asses do when a few bad apples spoil the sauce? They turn it into a police state.

So I guess this year (saw on the news tonight) they will fence of a NUMBER of downtown streets and WAND people coming into the 'festival'.

But the festival is on public streets??? So lets see, if I live in a condo within the "fenced in area" I am being deprived of my right to carry a gun into my neighborhood?

Is this legal? I'm thinking it might be REALLY fun to take my boat up the river (which would bypass all the stupid checkpoint charlies in downtown Peoples Republic of Milwaukee) stop inside the "no freedom zone" get out of the boat, uncase, load and open carry! (only thing that will suck is then I can't drink at riverspash... kinda defeats the purpose of going)

But in all seriousness. WTF? Just fence of public streets and public right of ways and WAND everyone coming in? This is America no???

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I SAID THE SAME THING!! I saw the news last night too with my little brother. I said look at this, Milwaukee countyis a police state. First I hear about "heightened security" and "no tolerance" the night before in Milwaukee County Parks and now this.

If you were planning on going and testing it I would try Pointman's idea first. They cannot restrict you from open carrying. I would definately bring a video camera with if you are going to try either, it will most likely be loud.

Ben

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

They can wand for concealed weapons, since carrying a concealed weapon is illegal in Wisconsin. They're thinking of charging a $1 admission so they can call it an "event" and search people "entering."
I think the $1 charge was for a wristband to buy beer.

It would be interesting to see what they do with someone open carrying.

Rick Finsta

imported post

Keep in mind that if they cordon it off, they might have a blanket liquor license for the whole area, which would prevent the carry of weapons.

After narrowly missing a shooting there (I'm talking like 45 seconds or so), I'm not going to be going back to ghetto splash anytime soon. If they're keen on putting up a fence, maybe it should be one with guard towers up on the top of Brewer's Hill. (I'm joking)

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

941.237(2)
(2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a
handgun on any premises for which a Class "B" or "Class B" license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

I highly doubt they could have a "blanket" liquer liscensing.Yet...maybe the vendors aren'tissued a class B liscense but a different liscense.

• Class "A" fermented malt beverage licenses allow retail sale of fermented malt beverages (beer) for consumption off the premises. Examples: grocery or convenience stores.

• "Class A" liquor licenses allow retail sale of intoxicating liquor (including wine) for consumption off the premises. Examples: liquor stores or grocery stores with full liquor sales sections.

• Class "B" fermented malt beverage licenses allow retail sale of fermented malt beverages (beer) for consumption on or off the premises. Examples: restaurants, "beer bars."

• "Class B" liquor licenses allow retail sale of intoxicating liquor (including wine) for consumption on the premises, and wine in original containers for consumption off the premises. If the community elects to, it may also permit sale of not more than four liters of intoxicating liquor (there are no limits on wine), in the original container, for consumption off the premises. Check local ordinances for the allowance. State law also allows carryout of a single, opened (resealed) bottle of wine if sold with a meal. Examples: taverns and restaurants with full alcohol service.

• "Class C" wine licenses allow the sale of wine for consumption only on the premises and allow the carryout of a single opened (resealed) bottle if sold with a meal.

• Temporary Class B licenses (often called picnic licenses) allow retail beer and/or wine sales, at temporary events like fairs and festivals. Only certain organizations qualify for such a license. They must be bona-fide clubs, county or local fair associations, churches, lodges, or societies that have been in existence for at least six months.

Maybe you want to take a rifle with ya? LOL I got my WASR. That would be legal.

Ben

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

After narrowly missing a shooting there (I'm talking like 45 seconds or so), I'm not going to be going back to ghetto splash anytime soon.
Yeah, its true that anytime you get a successful gathering of people, give it a year or two and the "nefarious" characters show up and ruin it.

Good point about the liquor license though. They put the semi-trailers on the street and serve beer right out there. I don' t know what the "premisis" is defined by, but its probably not a good idea to take chances.

I guess I'll just stay on my boat enjoy quality potables and be glad theres a safety moat of water between me and everyone else. And wait for the coast guard to complete their random "safety checks" with no probably cause on the river.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
Pointman - only for handguns. I just got a single point for my AR-15, and I've got a WASR-10 that someone can use as a loaner... :cool:

Yea, I'll strap on my M4. As funny as it would be it'd more trouble than it's worth and not the kind of image I'd like to project.