• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed by Highland Det. in Meijer

txgho1911

imported post

IC 35-47-2-21

Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Timjoebillybob

imported post

gutshot wrote:
txgho1911 wrote:
If the license is for concealed carry then you must conceal it.
The Indiana LTCH is for carry only and does not specify how. You cannot openly carry in Indiana without a license.
I see. I have a drivers license, so I can no long walk where I go. Is this what you mean?
More like if your drivers license had "only valid during daylight hours" you couldn't drive (legally) in IN with it at night.

BBR-14

imported post

Section32 wrote:
Genghis: I ask you again to please cite the section of code where this is written:

"However, when we read the guidelines together, I made sure to clearly point out that it said that they may ask for your permit only if they feel you’ve been involved in an incident (RAS) or if they’re investigating a disturbance."

Not trying to pick a fight here. I am developing my own response plan for when this inevitably happens. I want to be very certain that I am legal at all times, especially in the heat of the moment. If there is a section of code that spells this out, I want to be able to cite it chapter and verse. OTOH, I also don't want to be detained for failing to produce ID if the LEO lawfully do so.
Yes please do so I would like to see this as well........

Prometheus

imported post

Section32 wrote:
Not trying to pick a fight here. I am developing my own response plan for when this inevitably happens. I want to be very certain that I am legal at all times, especially in the heat of the moment. If there is a section of code that spells this out, I want to be able to cite it chapter and verse. OTOH, I also don't want to be detained for failing to produce ID if the LEO lawfully do so.
Every situation is unique.

For example, if you are driving and go into a OWI check point. They will ASK for your DL and ins. You don't have to give it to them. That said, if they see you or your car in violation of any traffic law be it no seat belt or a headlight out, then they authority to demand you license as they are investigating a crime and state law allows/requires them to get the license.

If you are walking down the street they can ask for your ID but cannot demand it. Even if they are investigating a crime, they cannot demand your ID, but they could demand for you to verbally identify yourself. However if you are OC'ing, they (theoretically) can not just ask for your LTCH but also demand it. That is a gray area because Indiana courts have ruled on police stopping people for otherwise lawful activities and not having authority to demand ID. They have not ruled specifically on open carriers however.

Per state law, if you are carrying a handgun you must show your LTCH to a LEO on their demand... same as a drivers license, under the right conditions.

royerr

Will check...inquire with highland pd in November of 2010

I do know this thread is a little dated, but, I just learned (via this web site and registering to read and post threads) that I can OC.

I am planning on calling highland, Griffith, munster, scherrerville, Hammond, maybe a few other towns up here in northwest Indiana "rust belt" to see if their officers know about OC. I would love to OC...and probably will a little at first...biggest concern is lack of general populace knowledge of it's legality and this includes PD's who do not know the law and would "go on the offensive" versus just casually approach me respectfully for clarification of why I have a pistol hanging off of me! I would personally have no issue showing them a permit if they asked for it to help calmly and civilly gain an understanding of the situation.

Rick from Dyer, IN

MR Redenck

Today I called the Indiana DPS and spoke with a guy named Anthony. He is head of the Licensing division, " I think".
Anway I call with questions becaue were trying to make the right to Carry in Texas better. As you all know the Texas right to carry SUCKS! We dont have open carry and to get a Concealed Carry license you have to go through some 12 hours of listening to someone tell stupid stories! It cost $150 for the license and $150 to $200 for the class!

As I study other states, I found Indiana Shall Issue pretty interesting. Yall have over 300,000 licensed citizens compaired to Texas with 400,000. Indiana is 1/3 the size of Texas!!!
I found the reason for Indiana's impressive numbers to be Shall Issue. Yall have cheap fee's and arent required by the state to get training. Training is a personal issue the citizens need to challenge themselves with.
I call Anthony and he was most helpful in answering my questions.
He actually told me that Indiana doenst have any issue with the permit hold, not much to speak of. He siad that now and then they have to address somones permit because they failed to mention something on the application. As far as people doing stupid crap with their gun, he said its never hear of other than something like getting a DWI.
I also mention open carry. He said the permit Does Not specify open or concealed. So either is an option.
He also told me that local government could not oridnance against the permits, such as open or concealed carry. The only thing they can do is prohibit carrying in a building.
Yall have pretty good gun laws up there. Be thankful that your not in Texas where legislature infringes on your rights and only allows what the state can profit from!

MR Redenck

Hey that sounds awsome.
I realy dot thik I need training. I have been shooting guns for nearly 30 years. Im at the gun range 2 times a week. During hunting season you wont never find me unless your out in the sticks.
My shooting skills with handguns could use a little improvement because I have yet to be able to put holes inside of holes with a 1911 at 25 yards. :lol:
Im a rough a tumble kind of person, I like tacticle stuff too.
I shoot with DEA and FBI guys sometimes and they dont run away screaming " OMG he's got a gun"!! :uhoh:
Im calling washington !!