• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hog Leg Revolver

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Hello everyone! When I was a young man (not that I'm an old man now) I went to work after I graduated and proceeded to put my nose to the grind stone and try to make a living. Well, while I had my head down and I was busy a secret cabal took over my beloved Republic and slipped a democracy in while I wasn't paying attention and they think they have the power to take away all of my rights but that's a story for another forum. A few years ago I decided to take a VERY early retirement and that's when I noticed the afore mentioned atrocity and decide that I needed to rearm(when I was younger I didn't feel that I was mature enough to be armed but thatis another story still)myself to protect my Freedom and family . I am not a man of means by far so I reasearched and settled on a repro of the 1858 Remington .44 revolver. It is a powerful gun that shoots like a laser but it is a rather large gun, I think it is about 14" long and quite frankly it is a hand cannon. I haven't actually carried it in anywhere around town yet but she goes with me when I'm in the truck. Any body have any experience carrying this type of gun. I can just imagine the stares and panic that will be ensued when an anti OC sees the Howitzer on my hip.Any thoughts on this?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I sometimes OC a SA .45 (USFA clone of the old Colt .45)with a 5.5 inch barrel (10 inches overall) in a cross draw holster. It doesn't seem to get any more attention that any other handgun would.

I take it your "hand cannon" is a ball and cap black powder revolver?

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Yeah, cheap to shoot, no ffl paper work, powder and leadare easy to aquire, very accurate, the list of pros' far out weighs the cons'. I load it with 200 gr. conicle bullets, plenty of knockdown power. I think I'm in LOVE! Did I mention no paper work?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Yeah, cheap to shoot, no ffl paper work, powder and leadare easy to aquire, very accurate, the list of pros' far out weighs the cons'. I load it with 200 gr. conicle bullets, plenty of knockdown power. I think I'm in LOVE! Did I mention no paper work?
I'll bet it's got a lot of boooom, too. This .45 Long Colt is a loud bugger.

mellio

imported post

Your choice of carry gun I will not judge except to say that it's interesting. IfFFL paperwork is your concern a private sell does not require paperwork and islegal as long as you are able to legally purchase/ownfirearms.I'm not sure if you were aware of this.Just making sure, some states do requirerecords of private sales but not Kentucky.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

My concern with the paper work is only that my name doesn't go into a log book that big brother regularly looks at and the less times my name shows up the better, in my eyes. I really didn't want a "used " gun and now-a-days you pay a premium when you go thru an individual. It is a little more trouble to load etc. but it is a sweet piece and very pretty to boot.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I have anColt 1851 Navy.36 C&B and a Ruger Vaquero(Colt Peacemaker clone)SAA .45LC. I would not carry either one of them as a primary self defense piece.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

They're antiquated (Slow). Slow to fire... 'n slow to reload. They're also 'large'.

Of little use against a fast firing semi-automatic or DA wheelgun. I carry a 1911A1 .45acp which is a 100 year old design (1902) and will be upgrading to something a bit newer as finances allow. (Sig P220 .45acp)

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Good points. I can have it ready to fire before it gets up to the point of aim. It has real good "pointability" a well. It is rather large but I don't mind the weight .I feel pretty confidentIF I can get the drop on the bad guy he's a dead man or at least on the ground. I have asmall bore DA as well but it doesn't seem to be as accurate when you point and squeeze.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Most all the early Colts are 'point and clicks'... They're natural 'pointing' guns. My '51 Navy has a groove in the hammer that serves as a sight... but it'd take a bit to line it up with the little bead front sight. They were not designed for much 'aiming'. The SAA .45's the same way... altho the sights are larger. I can (and do) cock the hammer on the draw about as soon as the muzzle clears the holster. This creates a very light trigger tho... so my trigger finger and thumb move near simultaneously in that regard. At any rate...they're pretty much a 'first shot does the deed' weapons.

I'm headin' for Tombstone inna few hours... 'n will soon be awash in SAA's of the 'period' on Allen St 'n around. (Wyatt Earp Days). Time to get into my 1880 'rig'.

Kriegsammler

imported post

Today I rode my Honda Scooter ( which btw is painted WWII army green with black and white invasion stripes..) all over town with my Uberti SA Navy Colt (.38 conversion) hanging on my hip in my new Nylon 8 inch barrel revolver holster.. (not period leather.. but it works great.)

Incidentally today was my first day OCing.. only had one comment from a customer during a late nite stop at a gas station.. he asked "Hey watcha got there? a .45?" I smiled and said.. nope it's a .38.. "That'll keep the bad guys away.. looks mean.." we chuckled.. very cool I thought.

incidentally it was a Speedway gas station.. I've been in there many times before.. the clerk noticed the gun as he gave me that "Is that a g- yup it is.." look thru the window as I was helmeting and goggling up.. he didn't seem worried about it.. just confirming what he saw.

I plan to OC with my Walther P-38 as well. I like old style guns.. a GI config Springfield Armory 1911 is on my wish list.. that'll probably be *the* full time carry gun when I have it.

My screen name is german for War Collector.. I collect WWI & II memorabilia as a hobby hence the paint job on the scooter..

-Adam

TheMrMitch

imported post

I have eight BP guns including a Howdah that sometimes rides with me.

For personal carry it is a Glock 21 in a paddle. Every person carry the one they are the best at shooting and are comfortable with.:dude: