• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Richmond News (WI): New effort seeks to allow openly carrying guns near schools

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.newrichmond-news.com/articles/index.cfm?id=91753&section=Wisconsin%20News&property_id=19

New effort seeks to allow openly carrying guns near schools
Gil Halsted, Wisconsin Public Radio, Wheeler News Service
Published Wednesday, May 20, 2009

[align=right]

[/align]
There’s a new effort to expand the number of places in Wisconsin where you can openly carry a gun.

A group called Operation CarryLand has an online petition urging the Legislature to repeal the law against open weapons near schools.

Right now, it’s a felony to openly carry a weapon – either personally or in a vehicle – within 1,000 feet of school property.

Group spokesman Nik Clark of New Berlin says criminals are ignoring the law as evidenced by the large number of gun crimes in Milwaukee that take place close to schools.

As a result, Clark says licensed, law-abiding gun owners don’t have the right to protect themselves.

But gun control advocates say a change will not improve public safety.

Jeri Bonavia of the Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort says “more guns in more places leads to more danger and more gun deaths.”

About 700 people have signed the online petition to end the state law against only guns near schools.

They’re hoping to either find a lawmaker to sponsor the measure or challenge the current restriction in court.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thats good that were getting coverage on this specific issue. Since this may be one of the bigger hurdles we may have to jump in WIsconsin, repealing legislation at the state level is hard, yet if the right pieces come together we can do it.

Jeri Bonavia of the Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort says “more guns in more places leads to more danger and more gun deaths.”

^ Wow they actually printed that!? I mean there is NO factual evidence to back that up.....

Ben

smithman

imported post

BJA wrote:
^ Wow they actually printed that!? I mean there is NO factual evidence to back that up.....
Ben
Newspapers can always print direct quotations, whether accurate or not. This is the main way in which they get the anti-gun message out, since the gun issue cannot be attacked on a logical or factual basis. This is the same as quotes like "I never thought it could happen here, it's such a nice neighborhood" when someone is being interviewed by a reporter after a murder. A statement such as that is not factual and is based on feelings only, yet it is played up all the time by the media. It also reinforces the sheepish attitude of the people who will see the report.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I also posted this in the other thread.

J.Gleason wrote:
hugh jarmis wrote:
Did an interview with Wisconsin Public Radio. I don't have realplayer, so I can't listen to the actual story, but here is a transcript with a link to the audio:

http://clipcast.wpr.org:8080/ramgen/wpr/news/news090519gh.rm
I will be calling WPR and this is exactly what I will be saying:

Group wants right to brandish firearms within school zones By Gil Halsted
Brandishing – No one said anything about brandishing any fire arms.

The 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment states that the people have an individual right to keep and bear arms and this right shall not be infringed. The school zone law is unconstitutional in that it infringes on those rights and so does the transportation law.

Nik Clark of New Berlin is a spokesman for the group. He says many gun crimes in Milwaukee take place close to schools licensed gun owners aren't allowed to protect themselves.
"Criminals are ignoring this as we speak, and so the repeal of this thousand-foot school zone would simply give law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves and enjoy the same rights that a person that doesn't live within a school zone does."

Mr. Clark said that many criminals commit gun related crimes in school zones and the school zone law prohibits law abiding citizens from carrying a fire arm for protection against such crimes.
Mr. Clark did not say licensed gun owners he said law abiding gun owners.

But gun control advocates say allowing open carry of guns near schools isn't likely to improve public safety.
"More guns in more places leads to more danger and more gun deaths,” counters Jeri Bonavia, who heads the Milwaukee-based Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort (WAVE). “So whether we're talking about open carry or concealed carry, a thousand feet from a school or not, none of this gum carrying is going to make us safer."

What about the guy in Racine, who saved himself from harm because he was exercising his 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment rights? The fire arm did keep him safer!

What about Columbine or V-tech? If any one of the teachers or adult students in those schools had been carrying a fire arm it is inevitable that the outcome would have been different. In the case of Columbine we sure could not count on the response by the police. They waited outside why the rampage went on until the two suspects killed themselves. If that is their definition of protect and serve then I am fine with protecting myself.

Ms. Bonavia has no facts or statistics to support her claims.

I demand that you have a Live interview with Mr. Clark, so he may address this blatant attempt at a scare tactic WPR is using to instill fear in the minds of otherwise unknowing citizens.

It is obvious that Mr. Halsted has a personal agenda here and is not in support of the 2nd Amendment rights of Americans. If WPR says it is not true then lets have that interview. I am positive that Nik Clark would be up for it.
Here is the response I received from this call and email:

Open Carry story‏ From:
i_yellowshield.gif
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk Sent: Thu 5/21/09 11:08 AM To: j.gleason@hotmail.com Mr. Gleason: Thanks for taking the time to contact us about your concerns about a story you apparently saw on our Web site. Gil Halsted had no role in using the word, "brandishing." The word does not appear in the script, nor was it said on the air. It was chosen (poorly) as a headline by the person who posts our stories on the web. I've told him in no uncertain terms that he needs to be careful in choosing his words, and have pointed out that 'brandish' is not a synonym for 'openly carry.' I don't believe that Gil has a personal agenda in his reporting. His story reflects that different groups and individuals see the issue differently. There is enough to be said on both sides of this issue (and maybe there are more than two sides) that it can't all fit into a 90-second newscast story. I don't know if our talk programs department is planning a program on this issue, but I recommend Nik Clark as a guest. Thanks again for taking the time to write, and I hope you can accept my apology for our posting of a poorly-chosen word on the web version of our story. [align=left]-----------------------------------------------[/align] [align=left]Michael Leland[/align] [align=left]News Director[/align] [align=left]Wisconsin Public Radio[/align] [align=left]821 University Av[/align] [align=left]Madison WI 53703[/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]Phone: 608-263-7928[/align] [align=left]Fax: 608-263-5838[/align]
spacer.gif

Current time is 11:19 am

Unwatch Topic
Parts of this bulletin board may not function unless you enable JavaScript (also called Active Scripting) in your browser.