• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headed to Myrtle for the weekend, anything I should know

hsmith

imported post

Only thing I couldn't find was is SC has preemption. I read the statute and banned places/signs, notifying LEO's - anything else I am missing?

This is my first trip out of state going concealed (I usually headto the peoples republic to our north if I leave va)

thanks!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Only thing I couldn't find was is SC has preemption. I read the statute and banned places/signs, notifying LEO's - anything else I am missing?

This is my first trip out of state going concealed (I usually headto the peoples republic to our north if I leave va)

thanks!
If you've never been, I can tell you a boatload about the place, having vacationed there since 1969. Expect a lot of bikes (as in crotch rockets) due to Atlantic Beach Bikefest.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

My wife first went down there in the early 60's as a youngster. My first trip was in '69.. July 6-11 to be exact. At that time, Myrtle Beach was pretty much of an unknown in this area. Their idea of a crowded beach was maybe 50,000 people at the most. We stayed in a AAA-rated motel on the beach called Surfwood (it's still there, but long ago had a name change) for $15 a night. Compared to Ocean City or Virginia beach, Myrtle Beach was heaven.

We go twice a year, and once three times in a year. We were just down there two weeks ago. Great restaurants, low country seafood is super, and just a good place to be. Deep South, warm water, friendly people, sub-tropical.. what's not to like? We expect to one day move to somewhere around the low country of South Carolina, just don't know where yet.

PT111

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
They talk funny too, bring a translator.. :)

Yamn Dankees are the ones talking funny. Myrtle Beach is getting overrun with them and driving prices out of sight. :lol:

Just keep you gun concealed, behave yourself and you won't have any problems. I have been told by many policemen and even a County Sheriff that they didn't care who has a gun as long as they behave.

nova

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
hsmith wrote:

thanks!
If you've never been, I can tell you a boatload about the place, having vacationed there since 1969. Expect a lot of bikes (as in crotch rockets) due to Atlantic Beach Bikefest.
I was in Myrtle beach when they had the bike thing. I didn't mind as there were a lot of good looking women and I was a "young boy" then. I still wouldn't mind now either btw. :D EDIT: well that's also because it's fricken Myrtle Beach.

hunter45

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
My Dad got bit by a copperhead there three years ago. He wasn't able to walk without crutches for over a month.
What part of the area was he in when this happened?

He was walking along a path near the Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant. He went for a walk to pass the time during the 1 hour wait to be seated. He ended up spending the night at the Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. Luckily we only had two more days left in our vacation after that.

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
My Dad got bit by a copperhead there three years ago. He wasn't able to walk without crutches for over a month.
What part of the area was he in when this happened?

He was walking along a path near the Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant. He went for a walk to pass the time during the 1 hour wait to be seated. He ended up spending the night at the Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. Luckily we only had two more days left in our vacation after that.
Glad he made it out of that one ok. I was in FL one time when there was a gator that attacked a person (no bad injuries) at a hotel down the road from where we were staying. Gator ended up getting shot by a deputy. Shotgun for the win.