• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memorial Day Parades

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I was wondering. Is anyone walking/oc'ing in a Memorial Day Parade?
That would be awesome. I thought about it here in Chilton but the parade goes through the school zone.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I was wondering. Is anyone walking/oc'ing in a Memorial Day Parade?
That would be awesome. I thought about it here in Chilton but the parade goes through the school zone.

It's interesting that you should ask this question. I asked the SAME question of the La Crosse Police department. I asked them for a "copy of the application" that one would need to fill out, and the reply from the La Crosse Police Chief, "I can give no such permit."

It may be to late for Memorial Day, but we should ALL submit "Open records requests" asking the schools/police/etc. for "copies of the application" and the "permit" that was granted.

My bet is, there is no such thing, just like in La Crosse, and LEO simply choose to ignore the law. If we video taped the vets carrying, and then discovered they "had no permission," that certainly would put LEO in a tough spot, wouldn't it.

Don't get me wrong, I support our vets BUT, they are after all, ordinary citizens under the law, and if the can carry, then so should the rest of us. I am out of town this weekend, but I will be submitting those open records requests to the city clerk, chief of police, and the school district. If no permission was given, then what do we do next?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Find out who is in charge of the parade organization, they should have an application.

We don't really have a parade for Memorial Day in Chilton. Just the VFW walking up the street to the Cemetery for a memorial service.

I just thought it would be great to get some oc'ers walking in the parade and maybe carrying a banner that said something like " OPENCARRY.ORG Support and defend your 2nd Amendment rights!"

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am looking into getting the OC picture of the nine(9) people made into an eight(8) foot long banner. I could maybe get a couple made. Then we could carry them in the various parades and hand out the Wisconsin Pamphlet the Para and pointman had made.

I've been thinking about this a while, but not sure if that is the right course of action.

I will definitely bring this up for discussion at Mr. Greg's on Monday.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I attend the Monona parade most years. It's the primary parade held in the Madison area, and I have often thoughtabout the possibilitysome pro-gun rights exhibit in the parade. The downside, the parade begins at Monona Grove High School and ends in the parking lot of Madison La Follette High School. Two schools, two school zones, two school districts! Oh, and it passes Sennett Middle School which is adjacent to La Follette. :uhoh:

Woodchuck

imported post

A buddy and I are going to OC at Stoddards parade and hand out info on Wisconsin Gun Laws. Gonna check to see if our Vets got written approval for the school zone issue. Otherwise we got someone to hold our guns 1000ft from school zone, then we'll OC from there. Sucks cuz thats about 1/2 the town we can't OC in.

edit....Got the OK from local PD to OC the whole parade, I did have to agree to an unloaded firearm within that 1000ft school zone though

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you want the pamphlet we had at the La Crosse County Picnic, PM me. I can get you a bunch to hand out.

Also, post date and time of Parade, I will walk with you.

Woodchuck

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
If you want the pamphlet we had at the La Crosse County Picnic, PM me. I can get you a bunch to hand out.

Also, post date and time of Parade, I will walk with you.
Got a bunch of copies made. Appreciate it though. Stoddard 1030

trailblazer2003

imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
edit....Got the OK from local PD to OC the whole parade, I did have to agree to an unloaded firearm within that 1000ft school zone though
Was it a verbal OK, or did PD have a form for you to fill out?

I was in at the Monona parade today and saw a Civil War group with pistol and musket walking along, wonder who gave the permission for them? As Shotgun already said the route includes Monona HS and two Madison schools along the way.

Woodchuck

imported post

I personally know the cop and it was verbal, also he talked to the Vernon County Sheriff Dept b4 parade and got ok for it also. I realize verbal was far from the best option. But I also know that the Vets didn't have written permission also.

All went well though, 3 of us OC'ed and handed out about 175 pamphlets without incident. Glad we did it.

edit.... I had to explain alot of the legality to the cop, he didn't seem to know either way

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Great job guys! I am very impressed and proud of what you did!

You know that is a very good way for new OC'ers to break in as well. Now you will feel comfortable anywhere.

Carry on

2A Forever!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
I personally know the cop and it was verbal, also he talked to the Vernon County Sheriff Dept b4 parade and got ok for it also. I realize verbal was far from the best option. But I also know that the Vets didn't have written permission also.

All went well though, 3 of us OC'ed and handed out about 175 pamphlets without incident. Glad we did it.

edit.... I had to explain alot of the legality to the cop, he didn't seem to know either way

Excellent!! The more we educate the public the better. My apologies for not being able to make it, as I was en-route to the Milwaukee Open Carry picnic.

We have many parades like this coming up, Dairy Days, Butter Fest, Catfish Days, etc. We should try to have a presence at each event. I am working on getting an "open carry" banner made.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Clint Starin wrote:
I was at the Monona parade. The VFW actually loaded and shot rifles 10 feet from the Monona High School doors. It was quite the ceremony.

Clint, welcome to opencarry.org.

It would be great if you could PM me contact information for your city clerk. I would like to make an open records request to see what type of application/permitting process exists for events like this in your town.

Thank you,

trailblazer2003

imported post

Clint Starin wrote:
I was at the Monona parade. The VFW actually loaded and shot rifles 10 feet from the Monona High School doors. It was quite the ceremony.
I wonder how many children and parents were traumatized by the guns within the school zone? My guess NONE!!

I sent the Monona police chief a letter a couple weeks ago but never got a response back regarding how they would handle OC. Guess I need to send another, asking about the school zone permit also.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Clint Starin wrote:
We in the VFW use blanks for 21 gun solutes. The barrels of the M1s have welded in plugs with a small opening in them which allows enough gas pressure to cycle the operating rod. Just thought that I would through that out there.