Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Brady Bunch's call for help against the National Park carry provision!

Post imported post

On the Brady Campaign's Facebook page, they posted the following plea:

Boy, they must really be getting desperate, not enough congressmen/women listened to them, so they're asking people to beg the big man himself!

It will probably do as much good as spitting at a tornado, but I gave a call anyway. Waited on hold for about 5 minutes, then was able to give my message to the disinterested sounding lackey:

"Please tell President Obama that I want him to support the provision that allows people to carry firearms in National Parks if allowed by state law, just like the rest of Federal Lands such as National Forests."

"Thanks, I'll pass that along, goodbye."

...Orygunner...

Post imported post

wow... they're grasping at straws. Good they're getting ignored.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    They'll just cry themselves to sleep after the tantrum stops.

Post imported post

The bill is signed, so obviously they failed.

Post imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
    insane.kangaroo wrote:
    The Brady Bunch told everyone they'll stop going to National Parks if people are allowed to carry, no loss there. They're all the Fatty McFattersons which are waddle rampant in town. I doubt any of them even know what a pine tree looks like in person.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    Dispatcher wrote:
    insane.kangaroo wrote:
    The Brady Bunch told everyone they'll stop going to National Parks if people are allowed to carry, no loss there. They're all the Fatty McFattersons which are waddle rampant in town. I doubt any of them even know what a pine tree looks like in person.
    Isn't it that green thing that hangs from the rear-view mirror?

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    The Brady Bunch told everyone they'll stop going to National Parks if people are allowed to carry
    Good, more room for me and mine.

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Orygunner wrote: I've got my mobile on redial for that number and call it every five minutes to voice my support for the Credit Card bill.... never mention the gun provision... I hope I'm one of those who is tying up the line giving the antis the busy signal.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

Washingtonian_For_Liberty, why NOT voice support for the firearms in National Parks provision (officially called the "Protecting Americans from violent crime" provision)?

...Orygunner...

Post imported post

I'm sure the number has 30 or 40 lines, a wonderful phone system with rollover from other numbers or a DID.

Post imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    I've got my mobile on redial for that number and call it every five minutes to voice my support for the Credit Card bill.... never mention the gun provision... I hope I'm one of those who is tying up the line giving the antis the busy signal.
    Why?

Obama already signed the bill. Continuing to call is like campaigning after the election is over.

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Baradium wrote:
    I've got my mobile on redial for that number and call it every five minutes to voice my support for the Credit Card bill.... never mention the gun provision... I hope I'm one of those who is tying up the line giving the antis the busy signal.
    Why?

Obama already signed the bill. Continuing to call is like campaigning after the election is over.
    Never stop campaigning.... you lose if you do.

And, it is nice to fill up the White House's answering machine space with useless chatter.... since they never listen anyway.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

Baradium wrote:
    Why?

Never stop campaigning.... you lose if you do.

And, it is nice to fill up the White House's answering machine space with useless chatter.... since they never listen anyway.
    This would be the time to campaign for the NEXT issue, not the one that's already decided.

Post imported post

They're actually upset with the President for not insisting that theNational Park Carry Amendment be removed beforethe Credit Card bill gotto his desk. Therefore, it's a good thing if they have trouble getting through.

Post imported post

Be nice if you call! The White House Comment Line is staffed mostly by volunteers: nice grandmas and retired folk. Keep your comments short and to the point and you'll get a "chit" in the right column.

Centurion

Post imported post

Just one question... well maybe 3 ----

I know the Credit card stuff goes into effect in February 2010 but the amendment that WE are so happy about does not have an "effective" date. Did the Brady Bunch slip one by us by passing legislation that NEVER TAKES EFFECT? Or does it take effect NOW since it has been signed into law? or does it have the same effective date as the rest of the credit card stuff?

JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

JoeSparky wrote:

I know the Credit card stuff goes into effect in February 2010 but the amendment that WE are so happy about does not have an "effective" date. Did the Brady Bunch slip one by us by passing legislation that NEVER TAKES EFFECT? Or does it take effect NOW since it has been signed into law? or does it have the same effective date as the rest of the credit card stuff?

JoeSparky
    Laws without an effective date take effect on signing; however, since it's an ammendment, it might take effect along with the rest of the legislation. It depends on how it was written.

Post imported post

Do you all realize that Obama has been the most gun-friendly President in a long, long time. For once a politician backstepping and turning on campaign promises is actually a very good thing.

The irony ladies and gentlemen. Obama may be the best President for the second amendement since the founding fathers.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

Do not take anything for granted. Let's hold off the Polkas until it is a solid YES!

Activist Member

Post imported post

Baradium wrote:
    The bill is signed, so obviously they failed.

So when will we be allowed to carry in the parks?

Post imported post

Better the Brady Bunchers not go into the parks anyway. Sheep tend to stray off the trails and the like and end up grazing next to wolves and bears. It is for their own safety to avoid parks or anywhere else wild lest wild beasties eat them. They can just stay in their cities with the other wildlife they like so much by disarming everyone else so the urban predators can do whatever they want. "Better to be mugged, beaten, and shot by gangbangers in DC, than have somesemiautomatic weapon welding freak shoot the bear about to eat us since the park rangers are 10 miles away and need a helicoptor to get to us!"- new Brady motto.

On the other hand I can see a bear, wolf, or cougar biting into a Bradybuncher, then going PTUH PTUH PTUH! Not much eats skunks.

Post imported post

JoeSparky wrote:

JoeSparky
    If I understand the process correctly, the amendment will go into effect at the same time as the primary bill unless the amendment is changed to say otherwise. In this case, it was not given its own date, so the default would be the same date as the main bill.

Post imported post

The bill said specifically nine months after enactment, unless otherwise indicated. The amendment did not otherwise indicate, so barring further action (unlikely, IMHO) it will go into effect nine months from today (assuming that signing is the same as enactment).

The next question is "when is nine months from today?" Do they count calendar months, some number of days given the average length of a month, some hybrid, arbitrary number that nobody yet knows about?

TFred

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    The bill said specifically nine months after enactment, unless otherwise indicated. The amendment did not otherwise indicate, so barring further action (unlikely, IMHO) it will go into effect nine months from today (assuming that signing is the same as enactment).

The next question is "when is nine months from today?" Do they count calendar months, some number of days given the average length of a month, some hybrid, arbitrary number that nobody yet knows about?

TFred
    I just looked over the Credit card Act and it said it went into effect 6 months from signing. Did I miss something?

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    I just looked over the Credit card Act and it said it went into effect 6 months from signing. Did I miss something?
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...?bill=h111-627

Section 3 right above Title I, Effective date, says:

This Act and the amendments made by this Act shall become effective 9 months after the date of enactment of this Act, except as otherwise specifically provided in this Act.
    This is the House version, I didn't check the Senate version (is there a Senate version?). I guess there could be a discrepancy, but I thought they were identical, due to the speed that the President wanted to get it through.

TFred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast