Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: The Brady Bunch's call for help against the National Park carry provision!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    On the Brady Campaign's Facebook page, they posted the following plea:


    Boy, they must really be getting desperate, not enough congressmen/women listened to them, so they're asking people to beg the big man himself!

    It will probably do as much good as spitting at a tornado, but I gave a call anyway. Waited on hold for about 5 minutes, then was able to give my message to the disinterested sounding lackey:

    "Please tell President Obama that I want him to support the provision that allows people to carry firearms in National Parks if allowed by state law, just like the rest of Federal Lands such as National Forests."

    "Thanks, I'll pass that along, goodbye."

    ...Orygunner...

  2. #2
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    wow... they're grasping at straws. Good they're getting ignored.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia, , USA
    Posts
    311

    Post imported post

    insane.kangaroo wrote:
    wow... they're grasping at straws. Good they're getting ignored.
    They'll just cry themselves to sleep after the tantrum stops.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    128

    Post imported post

    The bill is signed, so obviously they failed.

  5. #5
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Dispatcher wrote:
    insane.kangaroo wrote:
    wow... they're grasping at straws. Good they're getting ignored.
    They'll just cry themselves to sleep after the tantrum stops.
    The Brady Bunch told everyone they'll stop going to National Parks if people are allowed to carry, no loss there. They're all the Fatty McFattersons which are waddle rampant in town. I doubt any of them even know what a pine tree looks like in person.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    insane.kangaroo wrote:
    Dispatcher wrote:
    insane.kangaroo wrote:
    wow... they're grasping at straws. Good they're getting ignored.
    They'll just cry themselves to sleep after the tantrum stops.
    The Brady Bunch told everyone they'll stop going to National Parks if people are allowed to carry, no loss there. They're all the Fatty McFattersons which are waddle rampant in town. I doubt any of them even know what a pine tree looks like in person.
    Isn't it that green thing that hangs from the rear-view mirror?

  7. #7
    Regular Member AZkopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    673

    Post imported post

    insane.kangaroo wrote:
    The Brady Bunch told everyone they'll stop going to National Parks if people are allowed to carry
    Good, more room for me and mine.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    Orygunner wrote: I've got my mobile on redial for that number and call it every five minutes to voice my support for the Credit Card bill.... never mention the gun provision... I hope I'm one of those who is tying up the line giving the antis the busy signal.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    737

    Post imported post

    Washingtonian_For_Liberty, why NOT voice support for the firearms in National Parks provision (officially called the "Protecting Americans from violent crime" provision)?

    ...Orygunner...

  10. #10
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    I'm sure the number has 30 or 40 lines, a wonderful phone system with rollover from other numbers or a DID.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    128

    Post imported post

    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    I've got my mobile on redial for that number and call it every five minutes to voice my support for the Credit Card bill.... never mention the gun provision... I hope I'm one of those who is tying up the line giving the antis the busy signal.
    Why?

    Obama already signed the bill. Continuing to call is like campaigning after the election is over.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    Baradium wrote:
    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    I've got my mobile on redial for that number and call it every five minutes to voice my support for the Credit Card bill.... never mention the gun provision... I hope I'm one of those who is tying up the line giving the antis the busy signal.
    Why?

    Obama already signed the bill. Continuing to call is like campaigning after the election is over.
    Never stop campaigning.... you lose if you do.

    And, it is nice to fill up the White House's answering machine space with useless chatter.... since they never listen anyway.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    128

    Post imported post

    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    Baradium wrote:
    Why?

    Obama already signed the bill. Continuing to call is like campaigning after the election is over.
    Never stop campaigning.... you lose if you do.

    And, it is nice to fill up the White House's answering machine space with useless chatter.... since they never listen anyway.
    This would be the time to campaign for the NEXT issue, not the one that's already decided.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC USA
    Posts
    175

    Post imported post

    They're actually upset with the President for not insisting that theNational Park Carry Amendment be removed beforethe Credit Card bill gotto his desk. Therefore, it's a good thing if they have trouble getting through.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,128

    Post imported post

    Be nice if you call! The White House Comment Line is staffed mostly by volunteers: nice grandmas and retired folk. Keep your comments short and to the point and you'll get a "chit" in the right column.

  16. #16
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    Just one question... well maybe 3 ----

    I know the Credit card stuff goes into effect in February 2010 but the amendment that WE are so happy about does not have an "effective" date. Did the Brady Bunch slip one by us by passing legislation that NEVER TAKES EFFECT? Or does it take effect NOW since it has been signed into law? or does it have the same effective date as the rest of the credit card stuff?

    JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    128

    Post imported post

    JoeSparky wrote:
    Just one question... well maybe 3 ----

    I know the Credit card stuff goes into effect in February 2010 but the amendment that WE are so happy about does not have an "effective" date. Did the Brady Bunch slip one by us by passing legislation that NEVER TAKES EFFECT? Or does it take effect NOW since it has been signed into law? or does it have the same effective date as the rest of the credit card stuff?

    JoeSparky
    Laws without an effective date take effect on signing; however, since it's an ammendment, it might take effect along with the rest of the legislation. It depends on how it was written.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892

    Post imported post

    Do you all realize that Obama has been the most gun-friendly President in a long, long time. For once a politician backstepping and turning on campaign promises is actually a very good thing.

    The irony ladies and gentlemen. Obama may be the best President for the second amendement since the founding fathers.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,261

    Post imported post

    Do not take anything for granted. Let's hold off the Polkas until it is a solid YES!

  20. #20
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713

    Post imported post

    Baradium wrote:
    The bill is signed, so obviously they failed.

    So when will we be allowed to carry in the parks?

  21. #21
    Regular Member XD40coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    woman stuck in Maryland, ,
    Posts
    709

    Post imported post

    Better the Brady Bunchers not go into the parks anyway. Sheep tend to stray off the trails and the like and end up grazing next to wolves and bears. It is for their own safety to avoid parks or anywhere else wild lest wild beasties eat them. They can just stay in their cities with the other wildlife they like so much by disarming everyone else so the urban predators can do whatever they want. "Better to be mugged, beaten, and shot by gangbangers in DC, than have somesemiautomatic weapon welding freak shoot the bear about to eat us since the park rangers are 10 miles away and need a helicoptor to get to us!"- new Brady motto.



    On the other hand I can see a bear, wolf, or cougar biting into a Bradybuncher, then going PTUH PTUH PTUH! Not much eats skunks.

  22. #22
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043

    Post imported post

    JoeSparky wrote:
    Just one question... well maybe 3 ----

    I know the Credit card stuff goes into effect in February 2010 but the amendment that WE are so happy about does not have an "effective" date. Did the Brady Bunch slip one by us by passing legislation that NEVER TAKES EFFECT? Or does it take effect NOW since it has been signed into law? or does it have the same effective date as the rest of the credit card stuff?

    JoeSparky
    If I understand the process correctly, the amendment will go into effect at the same time as the primary bill unless the amendment is changed to say otherwise. In this case, it was not given its own date, so the default would be the same date as the main bill.

  23. #23
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    The bill said specifically nine months after enactment, unless otherwise indicated. The amendment did not otherwise indicate, so barring further action (unlikely, IMHO) it will go into effect nine months from today (assuming that signing is the same as enactment).

    The next question is "when is nine months from today?" Do they count calendar months, some number of days given the average length of a month, some hybrid, arbitrary number that nobody yet knows about?

    TFred


  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    The bill said specifically nine months after enactment, unless otherwise indicated. The amendment did not otherwise indicate, so barring further action (unlikely, IMHO) it will go into effect nine months from today (assuming that signing is the same as enactment).

    The next question is "when is nine months from today?" Do they count calendar months, some number of days given the average length of a month, some hybrid, arbitrary number that nobody yet knows about?

    TFred
    I just looked over the Credit card Act and it said it went into effect 6 months from signing. Did I miss something?

  25. #25
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    The bill said specifically nine months after enactment, unless otherwise indicated. The amendment did not otherwise indicate, so barring further action (unlikely, IMHO) it will go into effect nine months from today (assuming that signing is the same as enactment).

    The next question is "when is nine months from today?" Do they count calendar months, some number of days given the average length of a month, some hybrid, arbitrary number that nobody yet knows about?

    TFred
    I just looked over the Credit card Act and it said it went into effect 6 months from signing. Did I miss something?
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...?bill=h111-627

    Section 3 right above Title I, Effective date, says:

    This Act and the amendments made by this Act shall become effective 9 months after the date of enactment of this Act, except as otherwise specifically provided in this Act.
    This is the House version, I didn't check the Senate version (is there a Senate version?). I guess there could be a discrepancy, but I thought they were identical, due to the speed that the President wanted to get it through.

    TFred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •