• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle gun ban in time for folklife?

Solar

imported post

I was wondering of any updates. I am in DC right now, so will be missing the event, but didn't see any recent threads regarding if Nickels has made his "rule" yet like he was touting by the festival.

oldkim

imported post

Yes, there hasn't been anything to confirm the Mayor's decision. But here's a tibit from the last article dated May 3rd.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2009164506_guns03m.html

Even if the order is not in place, the May 22-25 festival will be gun-free through the city's lease with festival organizers. Signs posted at the Seattle Center event will remind people not to bring guns, and security will be trained to take firearms away or ask people to leave, says Alex Fryer, a Nickels spokesman.

The new city order would apply even to people who have a state permit allowing them to carry a concealed weapon. Without a permit, it's already illegal in Washington to carry a concealed weapon in public.

Fryer said the city's parks are already safe, but he pointed out that the shooter at last year's Folklife Festival had a permit to carry his weapon.

"We believe that our parks and community centers and open spaces are safer without guns," Fryer said.

The new rule wouldn't have any criminal penalties. People caught with a weapon would be asked to surrender the weapon or leave city property. If they refuse, they could be cited for trespassing, Fryer said.

So test your conceal abilties and see if you can "pass" by these security folks.They'll be looking for something on your hip. So a pocket gun or ankle placement is your best bet.

compmanio365

imported post

Or what about OC? It is city property, therefore state preemption applies, and they only want to ban concealed carry apparently.

Did anyone ever really figure out if folklife is considered a "music festival" and therefore falls under RCWs regarding no carry at such events? I know there was much back and forth on it, but I never saw a resolution to that thread.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The cities conditions can only apply to the lessor... not to "The General Public"

They can ban FolkLife personell from carrying, but not the public. That being said.... DONT PUSH IT! There are some legal things in process, and all we need is an open carrier to get arrested at folklife to screw it all up.

FMCDH

imported post

According to NPR today, it goes into effect at the beginning of the Folk Life Festival.

As an example of what Dean was saying, Safco and Quest Fields are off limits to firearms even with a permit because the teams that lease the property want it that way. The Washington Convention Center is the same in the portions of the center that are leased by those organizations, corporations or individuals that wish to restrict the carry of weapons and or firearms.

Remember however, carrying in these places is NOT a crime, they can at best have you tresspassed and you would not be able to return for up to 1 year. Many permenant establishments that restrict firearms like the Mariners just deny you entry at the door or demand you leave and not come back for the day, and never come back with your firearm or they WILL tresspass you.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
According to NPR today, it goes into effect at the beginning of the Folk Life Festival.

As an example of what Dean was saying, Safco and Quest Fields are off limits to firearms even with a permit because the teams that lease the property want it that way. The Washington Convention Center is the same in the portions of the center that are leased by those organizations, corporations or individuals that wish to restrict the carry of weapons and or firearms.

Remember however, carrying in these places is NOT a crime, they can at best have you tresspassed and you would not be able to return for up to 1 year. Many permenant establishments that restrict firearms like the Mariners just deny you entry at the door or demand you leave and not come back for the day, and never come back with your firearm or they WILL tresspass you.
+1, and folklife has tons of staff walking the grounds looking for issues, all hooked to a centeral dispatch/coordinator.

j2l3

imported post

FMCDH wrote:

I am pretty familiar with the trespass statutes and I don't think they specify the length of time you have to stay away. The agency requesting the trespass makes that decision. It could be longer than a year or less.

FMCDH

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
I am pretty familiar with the trespass statutes and I don't think they specify the length of time you have to stay away. The agency requesting the trespass makes that decision. It could be longer than a year or less.
Its normally a year, as a standard in business. I have written many, many trespass requests for corporations and individuals, and almost without exception it was one year. A few requested 3 or 6 months. It seems to go in stages of 3 months at a time, but never over a year unless it was accompanied by a criminal charge.

But yes, it can very.

FMCDH

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
I'm going to be heading down today.

I'm not a sheeple.

I'm know when CC is prudent.

'nuf said.
Amen, I will probably be heading down Sunday, and I WILL be CC, even if the weather is really nice.....hmm...Im going to have to think over my wardrobe. ;)

As someone else here stated, SAF has plans in motion, so OC is not a prudent choice at this time, nor is pressing the issue if caught and asked to leave. Lets give them a chance to deal with this in court before we start peppering Seattle with our own lawsuits. Just my opinion.

grishnav

imported post

I went, saw my friend's band play. Was lots of fun. Great music, crappy overpriced stand food, and a bunch of old shirtless hippies convulsing around in what they described as "dancing." Lots of little arts and crafts and stuff, and did I mentioned some really good music? :)

I CCd for the most part, but did OC for a short time before I left. No issues. A couple cops appeared to notice, but didn't seem to feel like enforcing the ban (one looked pretty angry, went and talked to the other one who looked over, saw the gun, and got a BIG grin across his face, but neither talked to me... *shrugs*). Way to go there, Nickel's! Thanks for keeping me safe!

All in all, a decent day.

How about putting the Seattle Center on the DNP? :celebrate

deanf

imported post

Slaps head!

Why didn't we think of that? I group of us go in CC, then as we are about to leave we uncover and go about our business.

I understand the implications re: pending litigation, but it's fun to think about.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

deanf wrote:
Slaps head!

Why didn't we think of that? I group of us go in CC, then as we are about to leave we uncover and go about our business.

I understand the implications re: pending litigation, but it's fun to think about.

This would work as well at :
A WAC show, COSTCO and the entire DNP list............

FMCDH

imported post

deanf wrote:
Slaps head!

Good point Dean, I think I may just do that if I end up going by myself.

Way to plan ahead Grishnav ;), I mean really...your leaving anyway..what are they going to do, ask you to leave twice? lol

phoneguy

imported post

I just got back from Seattle center. I was there for about 4 hours. I did see that sign also. I just laughed to myself and thought how much safer every one with no guns.
Sure I'll walk out with my oc pistol. It was wall to wall people.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Dang Grishnav, you beat me to it! I was down there today and took nearly identical pictures of those signs. I was there for hours and only saw two cops and two staffers...
It was the first time I had ever gone, it was not as hippie-tastic as I had feared and the kids had a good time. And nobody knows but me if I CC'd or not. :)

phoneguy

imported post

Trever, This may be off subject, I took the the Metro bus from a park and ride.

This was the first time I traveled on the Metro.

Bus drivers are true multitasking people. It amazes me you drive this 10 foot wide vehicle down crowed streets, always waving at other Metro drivers, looking for bus stops, answering all kinds of questions, remembering were people get off, making announcements on the PA system. Tolerating rude people and being courteous to everyone.

Wow!

FMCDH

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
Dude you just made my day! It's a pretty thankless job, and we don't get much positive feedback...
Here is another...

I have never been on a bus, public or otherwise, that crashed or had any accident due to the negligence or fault of its operator.

Hows that? ;)