• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heading To Williamsburg From N.C.

Jet69

imported post

I will be heading to Williamsburg tomorrow and will be bringing my handgun with me.I have myN.C. concealed carry permit andwill be carrying concealedand would like to know what the laws are for Virginia and Williamsburg concerning concealed carry.Any info will be much appreciated.

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

Most importantly, concealed carry is prohibited in alcohol serving restaurants. Open carry is fine though. Places to avoid all together include: courts, jails, schools and airports.

Jet69

imported post

WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:
Most importantly, concealed carry is prohibited in alcohol serving restaurants. Open carry is fine though. Places to avoid all together include: courts, jails, schools and airports.
Thanks for your response it is much appreciated.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It has been reported here by many that Colonial Williamsburg is OK with folks bearing arms (at least sidearms).:) Definately not so at William & Mary.:(

Be very aware of the NPS lands in and around Williamsburg, including the Colonial Parkway, Jamestown and Yorktown. They intrude into "civillian" real estate like weasels.

If you get a chance, ride the Williamsburg/Scotland Neck Ferry just for the pure joy of OC-ing from point A to Point B without hassle. You do not have to inform the rent-a-cop guards that you are carrying. I like to get out of the car & stretch my legs while waiting to drive onto the ferry, especially when they come to do the terrorist-check mirror-under-the-car search.

stay safe.

skidmark

Jet69

imported post

skidmark wrote:
It has been reported here by many that Colonial Williamsburg is OK with folks bearing arms (at least sidearms).:) Definately not so at William & Mary.:(

Be very aware of the NPS lands in and around Williamsburg, including the Colonial Parkway, Jamestown and Yorktown. They intrude into "civillian" real estate like weasels.

If you get a chance, ride the Williamsburg/Scotland Neck Ferry just for the pure joy of OC-ing from point A to Point B without hassle. You do not have to inform the rent-a-cop guards that you are carrying. I like to get out of the car & stretch my legs while waiting to drive onto the ferry, especially when they come to do the terrorist-check mirror-under-the-car search.

stay safe.

skidmark
Thanks for the information.Much appreciated:)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Or how about when they write down license plates to run through NCIC? I've seen them taking down tag info on the ferry boat before. Dunno about the legality about that, but they do it on the Cape May, NJ - Lewes, DE Ferry too.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark

"Be very aware of the NPS lands in and around Williamsburg, including the Colonial Parkway, Jamestown and Yorktown. They intrude into "civillian" real estate like weasels."

Won't be a problem for much longer. :D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Or how about when they write down license plates to run through NCIC? I've seen them taking down tag info on the ferry boat before. Dunno about the legality about that, but they do it on the Cape May, NJ - Lewes, DE Ferry too.

If you see them writing down any of your identifying info, submit a FOIA request to VDOT asking why, what use is made of the info, how long it is stored, how one can get their personal info deleted, and anything else you can think of.

It's never happened to me, but that proves nothing.

stay safe.

skidmark

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skidmark wrote:

skidmark
Given that the law was signed today, though it won't go in to effect for several months, and that the Department of the Interior rule was changed, then estopped by a judge, I'm betting that the Feds wouldn't press charges.

Mind you, I'm not advocating lawbreaking. Just sayin'.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I stated in another post on here that they won't persue it anyway. The "feds" won't harass you if you're enroute form point A to point B... not doing the tourist thing.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I stated in another post on here that they won't persue it anyway. The "feds" won't harass you if you're enroute form point A to point B... not doing the tourist thing.

What you heard is not what several people have experienced. Further, DOI has specifically gone on record stating that since the credit card laws do not go into effect for 9 months the carry amendment provisions do not go into effect until then either.

Coburn has responded by saying he will attach a NPS/NWR carry amendment to every piece of legislation until it gets passed and goes into effect immediately on passage.

I'm thinking that as messy as it might be, he just insert language somewhere else making that so.

However, it's good to see a congresscritter working so hard for RKBA.

stay safe.

skidmark

Ore

imported post

skidmark wrote:
It has been reported here by many that Colonial Williamsburg is OK with folks bearing arms (at least sidearms).:)  Definately not so at William & Mary.:(

skidmark

Why the comment about Willimam & Mary? It's a state school, so there shouldn't be any problems. Have you had a negative experience there?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ore wrote:
skidmark wrote:

skidmark

Why the comment about Willimam & Mary? It's a state school, so there shouldn't be any problems. Have you had a negative experience there?

While W&M may be a state school, their Board of Visitors do not feel the 2nd Amendment applies on campus. See page 29 of http://www.wm.edu/offices/deanofstudents/services/studentconduct/documents/studentcodeofconduct.pdf

While this is a student code of conduct, I have been told by administration and security that it will be enforced on visitors as well.

Unfortunately, Virginia's firearms preemption law currently applies only to local government, not to state agencies. We are working to get that fixed.

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

If you see them writing down any of your identifying info, submit a FOIA request to VDOT asking why, what use is made of the info, how long it is stored, how one can get their personal info deleted, and anything else you can think of.

It's never happened to me, but that proves nothing.

stay safe.

skidmark

Went across today and came back.

Security on one side was pretty grouchy...just attitude but women security guards always are.

The other side were darn nice fellows and we talked for ten minutes waiting for the Ferry.

They were writing down the license numbers of the cars they checked with the mirror. Even though I had talked to both sides out of the car with my PT 24/7 on, we didn't get mirrored or asked about it.

IMG_2269-640x480-1.jpg