• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PA Senate Bill 842

spencer280

imported post

i got this off pa open carry and thought i would pass it along

PA Senate Bill 842 introduces "Castle Doctrine" to PA, as well as clarifying some law, and improving some others.

-----------------
The most important points of the bill, as I interpret it (and I'm not a legal professional, nor do I have any background in law, so take what I say with a grain of salt) are as follows:

+ Better description of home/dwelling, now includes porch/deck/patio, I assume due to a recent case where a citizen shot someone on his porch that was attempting to break in. Previously that was a gray area, I'm not sure how the case turned out. (under § 501. Definitions of Section 1. Section 501 of Title 18)

+ Better description of "residence". A dwelling in which one resides permanently or temporarily, or is just visiting as a guest. (under § 501. Definitions. of Section 1. Section 501 of Title 18)

+ One has the right to stand one's ground, with no duty to retreat, and to protect oneself with force, including deadly force, if one feels it is immediately necessary to prevent death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping, or sexual intercourse by force or threat, (and here's the important part), ANYWHERE one has a right to be. (under § 505.(2.3) of Section 1. Section 501 of Title 18)

+ Under § 506 of Section 1. Section 501 of Title 18, the same rights are understood when protecting another person.

+ Under Section 6(a) of Title 42, § 8340.2. Civil immunity for use of force, anyone that has used force to defend themselves, another, or property, legally, under § 505, 506 or 507 of Section 1. Section 501 of Title 18. Basically you can't be sued for your actions if you injure the offender.

+ Under Section 6(b) of Title 42, § 8340.2, the court shall pay expenses including but not limited to, attorney fees, expert witness fees, court costs and compensation for loss of income, for anyone that falls under § 505, 506 or 507 of Section 1. Section 501 of Title 18.
-----------------

spencer280

imported post

you know there was a friend of mine with me last week and we ran into an old friend of mine bill evens. east Franklin police officer and we got to talking about the use of deadly force with break ins, and my friend was wondering about the reaction if he had to shoot an intruder if he would get into trouble. bill evens looked at us and said this WOULD YOU RATHER BE TRIED BY TWELVE OR CARRIED BY SIX. He said if you feel the need to shoot to kill to save your life or the life of someone else then you do what you have to do and worry after the fact
but this bill if it passes would help alot of people out if it ever came down to the use of deadly force.