• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Different reactions

Tiny85

imported post

I've been OCing my Taurus .38 for a few weeks now and no one ever bats an eye at it. Today was my first day OCing my new to me 1911 and it seems it draws a lot more attention. Today I was asked a half dozen times if I was a cop, twice if the gun was real and once if the gun was loaded.

Is it just me or does the gun you carry change how the public sees you?

N00blet45

imported post

I think it has something to do with the size of the firearm and how conspicuous the holster makes it appear. A full-size 45 is going to draw a lot more attention than a 9mm compact. Also, if the holster leaves most of the firearm exposed then people will probably notice it more than if the holster covers part of it.

Tiny85

imported post

The 1911 is about the same size as the taurus maybe a half inch longer. I think its might have something to do with the 1911 has more SS exposed where the .38 has about as much exposed from the holster but is all rubber grip. Not as much SS hanging out there for all the world to see.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Probably has something to do with the size of the person too. A smaller pistol may look rather large on the hip of or in the hands of a small woman whereas a full size pistol may not look all that big in comparison to larger men. I would think obviously that guns that are more shiny, contrast rather than blend in to clothing color, are worn in holsters that stand out from the body or are more clearly outline the firearm all probably draw more attention.

So yes, I certainly think that what you carry in comparison to your body size and how you carry it can draw less or more attention potentially leading to different reactions.

N00blet45

imported post

The holster exposing only the handle vs shiny metal might be why. It might also be with the color of the clothes you wear too. I would assume that if the firearm contrasts your clothing more then it would be noticed more often.

matthollycart

imported post

My wife and I were discussing today about how the type of clothes that you wear can affect how people react. When I started Open Carrying, I always wore jeans (which are dark-- and my gun is dark-- Taurus .38 Special Revolver) but today when I open carried I was in Khaki shorts (light color) and it seemed that people noticed it a lot more. Here's my story from today:

My wife and I went on a date (with 10 month old with us while the other 4 children were at an event) and I open carried at Cracker Barrel (It appears they do not sell alcohol there--- Cracker Barrel is great.. great food, prices, atmosphere, etc.). My wife said that some old couple saw me, the woman started freaking out, and the old guy with her told her that Open Carry is legal in Ohio. So I guess he knew. Then my wife saw the lady telling the waiter and he was just like "So what". But I had no problems.

Tiny85

imported post

matthollycart wrote:
My wife and I were discussing today about how the type of clothes that you wear can affect how people react. When I started Open Carrying, I always wore jeans (which are dark-- and my gun is dark-- Taurus .38 Special Revolver) but today when I open carried I was in Khaki shorts (light color) and it seemed that people noticed it a lot more. Here's my story from today:

My wife and I went on a date (with 10 month old with us while the other 4 children were at an event) and I open carried at Cracker Barrel (It appears they do not sell alcohol there--- Cracker Barrel is great.. great food, prices, atmosphere, etc.). My wife said that some old couple saw me, the woman started freaking out, and the old guy with her told her that Open Carry is legal in Ohio. So I guess he knew. Then my wife saw the lady telling the waiter and he was just like "So what". But I had no problems.
I think its great the waiter responded in such a manner when she tried to complain about the gun.