• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Shooters Shop

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Went to The Shooters Shop in West Allis last night. I was dismayed to see they had a marker board right at the door saying "We support open carry but for safety reasons please keep all guns unloaded and cased, not in a holster" (I might be paraphrasing a bit, but that was the jist of it.

"We support open-carry?" REALLY

I don't think they do? They support open carry just "not here"?

Why? What makes them special? Gander Mountain lets people OC? They sell guns?

If I'm missing something here someone let me know. I can't think of a good reason why they should be so hypocritical. (and I say that objectively, if I'm missing something, I'm open to suggestions)

I've purchased 4 guns from The Shooters Shop in the last couple years not to mention TONS of range time (I go frequently and always take 1 or 2 friends/girlfriend, etc with me.)

I estimate that I've spent around $5,000 in The Shooters Shop since 2005. I cannot patronize a place that doesn't support my rights.

I'll be writing a letter shortly. I'll share the text of it here.

Text of letter:

The Shooters Shop
2465 S. 84[suP]th[/suP] Street
West Allis, WI 53227

Management/Ownership,

I have been a customer exclusively of The Shooters Shop for many years. I have preferred to patronize your establishment because I was always impressed with the level of customer service and professionalism of your staff. My experiences at other Milwaukee area gun dealers/ranges was never as positive as my experiences with your store.

I was distressed to come to your establishment on Friday May 22 to see a marker board at the entrance indicating that you support open carry, but don’t allow it in your store?

Of all the places I would have expected to understand and live above the gun myths, thereby respecting our right to self-defense and to bear arms, a retail gun dealer should be one of them.

It seems superfluous for me to have to document the lack of logic and efficaciousness of that policy to a firearms dealer, but truly, if anyone intended ill intent in your store, they would conceal a weapon upon entrance and carry on with their nefarious intent. Truly the only people who will be affected by your policy are those who would never pose any kind of threat to your staff.

I am aware that people freely exercise their right to open carry at Gander Mountain, which also sells firearms.

I believe gun dealers keep records of firearm purchases and I would encourage you to review mine. I purchased a S&W 500 Magnum in Dec. of 2004. I purchased a Smith and Wesson 637 Airweight, Bushmaster AR-15, and Mossberg 500 this past year.

In addition I visit your range 6 – 10 times a year and I never come alone. I estimate that I’ve spent in the neighborhood of $5,000 at The Shooters Shop since my first purchase in Dec. 2004. I’m sure your staff would recognize me, and verify the frequency with which I use the range. I’m the bodybuilder that comes in frequently (usually in an NRA shirt) and a friend/friends along.

I sincerely appreciate the professionalism and service of your staff over the years however, as a matter of principle, I will not be able to patronize your store until the open carry policy were to change. I understand you operate your business as you see appropriate. As a matter of principle, I live my life the same way.

Best Regards

(name and address redacted)

smithman

imported post

I agree that it is very hypocritical for them to say they support OC but just not a their store...and a its a GUN store. I haven't patronized their store since I learned of their behavior toward OC not matching their words.

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I remember when WI Patriots had a table outside of the place a year ago. They let them have a table/gazebo overhang, but they wouldn't let them OC inside.

I can see their desire for safety around loaded firearms, but I wish they would rather post a sign requiring all openly-carried firearms to be securely holstered. That way, you can still enforce safety rules on the gangbanger who walks in with a glock in his waistband, but allow responsible gun owners to carry.

What's worse is that one of the employees (owners?) of the place was interviewed a few days after the AG's opinion, saying how he always OCs wherever he goes. Must be nice for him to say that as an employee of the place that restricts others from doing the same.

I haven't patronized them myself since I've returned, and probably won't, mainly because of this issue (And partly because ND has spoiled me with free shooting ranges :cool:).

Constitutionalist

imported post

I was planning on going there to get a new deer rifle. If that sign is still up I will walk in, tell them it was my intention to buy a rifle, but due to their hypocrisy I will not frequent their establishment any longer.

gila

imported post

I've never been overly fond of Shooter's Shop. They never seem to really care whether they sell an item or not. Their attitude also rather sucks most of the time. I much prefer Fletchers in Waukesha. I am probably biased as I shoot leagues there and I don't know if they would have a problem with OC. I have never seen a sign saying that it isn't allowed.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i noticed the same thing.. they seem a little stand-offish.. almost like they dont care if you buy there or not.. BTW: afaik badger has the same rules..

semperfiws6

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They do seem to have an "I dont care if you buy here" attitude. Not to mention they are overpriced. I think they have a 6920 for like $1800 right now.

To the OP - I would be willing to sign your letter and im sure others on here would as well.

32HR MAG

imported post

I have not shopped there.I heard about the place and put it into my favorites as a "go to " gun shop /shooting range.Now I will take it out of my favorites and won't mention there name again to anothergun owner/buyer with out letting them know that they are hypocrits.

pkbites

imported post

A couple of gun stores in the Milwaukee area are staffed by arrogant, elitist know-it-alls who make their living off of the right to bear arms, but are hypocritical to the bone.

I'm not sure if he's there still, because I now refuse to go into the place, but Badger Guns over on south 43rd had this blow hard named Mick Beatovic. On many occasions I heard the guy giving wrong information to customers regarding gun laws. They also had a "no uncased firearms" sign at their door. It's been years since I've defiled myself by going in there, so I know not if the sign is still up.

Beatovic actually came out in favor of a couple of gun control laws including one that required all private transfers be done through a dealer. Can anyone say "greedy".

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

pkbites wrote:
A couple of gun stores in the Milwaukee area are staffed by arrogant, elitist know-it-alls who make their living off of the right to bear arms
this is similar to other places - they are business people, not activists. Give them a business reason to adjust your policies to simply ban handling of loaded guns, like was done in the case of Sportsmens' Warehouse and Cabelas.

Constitutionalist

imported post

32HR MAG wrote:
I have not shopped there.I heard about the place and put it into my favorites as a "go to " gun shop /shooting range.Now I will take it out of my favorites and won't mention there name again to anothergun owner/buyer with out letting them know that they are hypocrits.
I think the reason they have that attitude in the store is The Shooters Shop does most of their sales through the internet, their web site is www.proguns.com. If you are looking online DONT shop there!

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

It was only a request not a command, otherwise they would have said prohibited not please. Open carry and tell them you support open carry too!

joelm

imported post

Hi, hugh. New here (been reading the forum for the past coupla weeks just to see if it is "worth my time" (aka do the posters know what they are talking about). It definitely does and I come here every day and am more informed. Thanks guys! :)

That is too bad about the SS with their OC views. Indeed, let us know what transpires. My wife and I were going to go there sometime this weekend (never made it--garden/house needed desperate attention) to try their hammer & hammerless snubbies. We are waiting for our concealed carry permits from Utah and had the SS in mind when we/she does purchase proper arms/holsters/etc. Hmmmm. I wonder if we should give the SS a second thought.

I too have purchased arms, supplies and range time there. I understand that it was "never the same" when they switched ownership years back, save for a gentleman named Pete, who was the shotgun expert there and was probably the best salesman I've encountered to date. He since left there due to differences with management style and wound up at Cabela's in THEIR shotgun department. Now I know why. Personally I know all the guys at Fletcher and continue to give them my business and $$. And they're cheaper, too. ;-)

I live in New Berlin (near Sunnyslope & Greenfield) and haven't actually OC'd yet. Even tho I would like to start (have a nice BHP) I don't think I have a sufficient retention holster for it. The one I have clips onto my belt and has a snap strap, but is not a hard plastic holster like I saw on the FOX & TMJ videos of your picnic. I also want to read a little more info regarding where/how to carry and to locate my nearby schools/educational facilities. Going onto this site helps a LOT, thanks to all.

To Greg, sorry, we couldn't attend the picnic yesterday, sounded like a fun time. We will definitely plan for the next one and help out with food, donations, etc. I don't drink so it doesn't matter to me anyway. :)

Thanks again guys. I'm glad to be part of your family!

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Hi Joel!

Glad you stopped in and spoke up! How did you hear about the forum?

I live near Sunnyslope and National. I've OC'd at the pick n save on that corner, the gas station on that corner, as well as down the road at Home Depot in West Allis about 6 times or more. I've also OC'd at the Walmart on National in New Berlin and the Target at Moorland and Beloit. Another member of the forum here has also OC'd at Wal-mart and Target in New Berlin.

Those are great places to become comfortable with OC'ing. As private property you don't have to worry about school zones etc.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Although they do not have a sign, it is my understanding that Shooters Sports Center in Racine, WI has the same policy. An employee told me that they would be putting up signage, however, I have yet to actually see such signage... I think I need to just go OC and see what happens.

Rick Finsta

imported post

I'm not trying to be apologetic for the shop owner's behavior, but is it possible that there are insurance contraints at work here? I hope you get an answer back, because I always hate to see one of these shopkeepers alienating past or potential customers because of personal prejudices.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
I'm not trying to be apologetic for the shop owner's behavior, but is it possible that there are insurance contraints at work here? I hope you get an answer back, because I always hate to see one of these shopkeepers alienating past or potential customers because of personal prejudices.
That's a good possibility. I hate to be a cynic, but I doubt it. Still, worth looking into and a good thought.