• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Shooters Shop

ShootersShop

imported post

Oh and who ever said Pete was no longer there isn't up to date. Don't know if he left and came back or what but both times I've gone in recently he has been working.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I spoke to Terry, and I'm pretty sure he owns the joint.

I told him I was a member of opencarry.org and we were looking for a gun shop that supported open carry, as the shooters shop does not.

If anyone has any issues open carrying in Fletcher Arms or see's any posted signage to the effect please let us know here.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Of course in all fairness. The Shooters Shop probably just got my letter today. They may revisit their policy on prohibiting open carry and if they do so, I'd be happy to patronize them again.

Thankfully the free-market works, and we do have an option though.

ShootersShop

imported post

Has anyone spoken to any of the staff or management at the Shooter's Shop? Or is this all stemming from the dry erase message board or what ever it is in the entrance of the store?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I went to the Shooters Shop and asked the manager about the open carry policy. He basically said it's because of the guys that don't handle firearms regularly and wind up sweeping the customers with a firearm that he [rightfully] assumes are loaded. Some have been loaded.
So let me get this straight. By what you wrote here it indicates that people HAVE open-carried in The Shooters Shop, unholstered their firearms and "swept" other customers?

If that is the concern, then I FULLY support the Shooters Shop posting a NEW policy that states: Openly carried firearms must remain in their holster while in our store.

I'm not looking for establishments that allow me to take my firearm out and wave it around. Just establishments that allow me to have it on my hip.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Or is this all stemming from the dry erase message board or what ever it is in the entrance of the store?
Only read the policy on the dry-erase board last friday. Didn't say anything while in the store as I like to think about things before I act on them.

Thought about it, wrote the letter, mailed the letter tuesday (mon was holiday) emailed them today.

I'd love it if they came on and offered their position on the subject. (although sounds like "Pointman" already talked to them and gave their reasoning)

AaronS

imported post

I have watched this post from day one, and have just sat biting my tonge. But, I just have to voice my thoughts on the Shooters Shop in West Allis.

This gun shop caters to police, not the public.

I stopped spending my money at the Shooters Shop about 18 years ago. I think the range is too small, and I hate to say it, but the place shows no respect to anyone I have seen, unless the person in question is a cop. Although I would hate to see any shop close in the Milwaukee area, this place could fall down a deep hole, and I would be fine with it.

Just the thought that a gun shop would tell you that you are not welcome with a gun on your hip is much more then a joke. It shows me even more that my decision not to patronize the Shooters Shop is a wise one. Face it, West Allis Police rule the Shooters Shop, and the place will do anything that the cops ask them to do.

Now that Gander Mt. Has come to town, I do not see any reason why anyone would pay more for arms at the Shooters Shop… Badger has a larger range anyway! Badger also sells more guns, at better prices…
As far as I have been concerned, for the past 18 or so years, when you walk into the Shooter Shop, you are walking into a police department, in a police state!

1911forme

imported post

Ok , this has gotten way out of hand! I've been professionally familiarwith Shooters Shop , and Fletcher Arms, for a very long time. The fact that Shooters chooses to not allow open carry in their store , has nothing to do with the quality of service ,or their product knowledge! It's their "right" to do so. And it's purely out of respect for their customers safety. That's what makes this country great. Both stores are professional , and both stores have employees with the smarts to handle all your questions. And take my word for it , neither one prefers dealing with LE , over Joe public. Remember , just because a customer comes into the store carrying a firearm on their hip , doesn't mean they know how to use it.......safely.

P.S. Terry may have work at Fletchers since Indians ruled the plains , but he doesn't own it.

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
So let me get this straight. By what you wrote here it indicates that people HAVE open-carried in The Shooters Shop, unholstered their firearms and "swept" other customers?

If that is the concern, then I FULLY support the Shooters Shop posting a NEW policy that states: Openly carried firearms must remain in their holster while in our store.

I'm not looking for establishments that allow me to take my firearm out and wave it around. Just establishments that allow me to have it on my hip.

Exactly. I posted this exact desire on the first page. ;)

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Ok , this has gotten way out of hand! I've been professionally familiarwith Shooters Shop , and Fletcher Arms, for a very long time. The fact that Shooters chooses to not allow open carry in their store , has nothing to do with the quality of service ,or their product knowledge!
Everyone can share their opinions and experiences. As I said in my original letter, I was VERY pleased with the Shooters Shop service/etc. I just can't spend money somewhere I disagree in principle with how they run their business.

If the shooters shop changes their policy, I will resume my patronage there.

AaronS

imported post

1911forme wrote:
Ok , this has gotten way out of hand! I've been professionally familiarwith Shooters Shop , and Fletcher Arms, for a very long time. The fact that Shooters chooses to not allow open carry in their store , has nothing to do with the quality of service ,or their product knowledge! It's their "right" to do so. And it's purely out of respect for their customers safety. That's what makes this country great. Both stores are professional , and both stores have employees with the smarts to handle all your questions. And take my word for it , neither one prefers dealing with LE , over Joe public. Remember , just because a customer comes into the store carrying a firearm on their hip , doesn't mean they know how to use it.......safely.

P.S. Terry may have work at Fletchers since Indians ruled the plains , but he doesn't own it.

This is not Walmart we are talking about.

This is a GUN STORE.

If the gun shops in Milwaukee won't support your rights, who will?

I'll be making a few phone calls tomorow.

308Panther

imported post

Mugenlude wrote:
Although they do not have a sign, it is my understanding that Shooters Sports Center in Racine, WI has the same policy. An employee told me that they would be putting up signage, however, I have yet to actually see such signage... I think I need to just go OC and see what happens.

I frequent SSC quite abit.Always walk in/out OC.Got into a discussion about OC with one of the counterguys.I got the impression it had more to do with the establishment didnt want to be in the middle of a situation if a customer were to be ticketed.

Its sad these establishments are taking that stance.and its an even sadder show of the times that OC at the Range is now being frownedupon.

If I cant OC at the (read that as any)range,they dont get my business.I dont have to shoot there.There's plenty of places to shoot.

As far as the 43rd st range....I will never set foot or spend even $1 in their place.I would rather use his door for a urinal.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, as a show of my support for what Terry at Fletcher's had to say, a buddy and I stocked up on some reloading supplies last night. We even paid an extra $10/500 for cast bullets to help out a local, friendly gun shop. That is how the free market works my friends.

1911forme

imported post

AaronS wrote:
I have watched this post from day one, and have just sat biting my tonge. But, I just have to voice my thoughts on the Shooters Shop in West Allis.

This gun shop caters to police, not the public.

I stopped spending my money at the Shooters Shop about 18 years ago. I think the range is too small, and I hate to say it, but the place shows no respect to anyone I have seen, unless the person in question is a cop. Although I would hate to see any shop close in the Milwaukee area, this place could fall down a deep hole, and I would be fine with it.

If it was 18 yrs ago since you stopped going there , why are you worried about their policy on OC? You need to move on and stop dwelling on the past.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Well, I think I've had about enough of The Shooters Shop. When I sent my letter I included my business card in case they wanted to call and talk like professionals. Instead someone from the shooters shop called my office this morning. Wouldn't leave there name and didn't want to talk to me. Just grilled the office manager on what our companies open carry policy is. (which I have drafted a letter to the owners of the business concerning and is currently under review)

A professional might have called and explained to me their reasoning instead of calling and bother my staff.

I can respect a company who didn't think through a policy, or even a company that had the courtesy to call like a professional and speak to me about it. Not a shop that behaves like that.

Sad to say I will never step foot in The Shooters Shop again regardless of if they change their policy. Shame...

I think I need to pick up a new gun to patronize a carry-friendly store. I'm torn between a Colt Defender or a Kimber Ultra-Carry. Leaning Kimber...

joelm

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I HAVE GREAT NEWS!

I just got off the phone with Terry from Fletcher Arms in Waukesha. He said that we are WELCOME to open carry in his store! He has a fantastic range also.

He did say that he doesn't allow holster-draw/fireat the range, but we are welcome to open carry!

I think I might just have to slide on over to Fletcher this weekend and make a new purchase to show my appreciation! (heck, I haven't bought a new gun since November when I bought 3) I think I'm due!

Fletcher Arms

http://www.fletcherarms.com/

Thank-you Terry for supporting Open-Carry!
Way to go, Hugh. Told ya he's the best..

Watch out for Lane 2, as it's got a blower vent over it and sends targets flying all over the place until you can clip them securely. Hopefully they have the less-expensive .38 reloads than last time (they had to get new primers and brass, increasing the cost).

Blast away, my friend, you've earned it.

And they might have a Kimber or two there.. bye-bye paycheck! ;-)