Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your gonna love this!

Post imported post

Today I was visiting with an LEO customer of mine and the subject of carry (OC or CC) when he told me the most absurd story ever. He always pays his cable bill in person. Sometimes he goes in while on duty (lunch break). When in civvies he was always getting the evil eye from one guy. Now this company has a sign posted "no weapons". One day he gets a request to call his lieutenant. 10 minutes earlier he had paid his cable bill. The guy had called the station and complained! The LT told the guy to buzz off! He complained about a cop in uniform with a gun where no guns are allowed! This gets better. My LEO friend made a discrete inquiry at the cable company and lo and behold the dumb bunny disappeared! Sometimes things work out despite liberal wrong thinking.

Banned

Post imported post

Police are not above the law, nor are they above the requests of private citizens/corporations on private property when not responding to a crime.

I support him being reported for violating a private business's policies when he was aware of them.

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
    Police are not above the law, nor are they above the requests of private citizens/corporations on private property when not responding to a crime.

I support him being reported for violating a private business's policies when he was aware of them.
    If you read the post correctly... it was not the Cable company's policy... it was one person who did not like guns putting up a sign. Otherwise, he would have not been let go by the company for putting up a sign that expressed the policy of the company.

The idiot liberal who thought he could ban someone from carrying a gun just because he didn't like guns is the one who was in the wrong, not the police officer.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

Perhaps if you had written the post more clearly, we may have understood the point you were trying to make. I didn't understand what you were trying to say, either.

:?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Banned

Post imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    Il_Duce wrote:

If you read the post correctly... it was not the Cable company's policy... it was one person who did not like guns putting up a sign. Otherwise, he would have not been let go by the company for putting up a sign that expressed the policy of the company.

The idiot liberal who thought he could ban someone from carrying a gun just because he didn't like guns is the one who was in the wrong, not the police officer.
    How do you know it was the guy who put the sign up, and he wasn't let go by a liberal fascist lover because he hassled a cop?

You'll notice he didn't say the sign disappeared. And that he said guns weren't allowed there.

Post imported post

Sounds to me like a police officer getting preferencial treatment, what is there to love? I'm certain the Lt. wouldn't have brushed off a call about a regular citizen.

Post imported post

In the state this took place in does a simple "no weapons" sign make it illegal to enter the property with a gun, or is it like most states where you still have to individually trespass someone who comes onto your property with a firearm?

Banned

Post imported post

Sounds to me like he DID...

Banned

Post imported post

Cops are above the law? Say it ain't so!

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

modelo57 wrote:
    Today I was visiting with an LEO customer of mine and the subject of carry (OC or CC) when he told me the most absurd story ever. He always pays his cable bill in person. Sometimes he goes in while on duty (lunch break). When in civvies he was always getting the evil eye from one guy. Now this company has a sign posted "no weapons". One day he gets a request to call his lieutenant. 10 minutes earlier he had paid his cable bill. The guy had called the station and complained! The LT told the guy to buzz off! He complained about a cop in uniform with a gun where no guns are allowed! This gets better. My LEO friend made a discrete inquiry at the cable company and lo and behold the dumb bunny disappeared! Sometimes things work out despite liberal wrong thinking.
    Doesn't say the anti put the sign up in discord with his company's policies.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

The point I was trying to make is gun haters trust no one. If you own or carry a gun you are a threat! Whether or not you are licensed, an LEO or soldier and you have a gun you are dangerous!

Post imported post

Il_Duce wrote:

Would you take the same attitude if the sign had prohibited handcuffs or radios, instead of guns?

When a LEO is on duty, his gun is an integral part of his uniform. He cannot do his job without it.

Banned

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    Il_Duce wrote:

Would you take the same attitude if the sign had prohibited handcuffs or radios, instead of guns?

When a LEO is on duty, his gun is an integral part of his uniform. He cannot do his job without it.
    It's a private business, so yes, I absolutely would.

And if a police officer wants to conduct private business on the clock, he can either disarm, or wait until his shift is over so he isn't required to carry to go into a business that doesn't want firearms there.

I'm all for rights, but YOUR rights do NOT trump the rights of businesses or people whose property you enter of your own free will.

Period.

Post imported post

A police officer has very few lawful reasons to be on private property other than those of a private citizen. Shopping. Visiting friends. That kind of stuff. The very few exceptions include:

1. Pursuing a criminal.
    2. Investigating a crime or possibility of a crime (sees open door) or emergency (sees smoke/fire).
    3. Responding to a request for service.
    4. I'm sure if there is a Number 4 someone will fill us in.

If an on duty police officer disregards a sign dictating conduct on private property, then he can be asked to leave, and subsequently charged with trespassing, unless he meets one of the exceptions listed above. It's just like needing a warrant to come in your home unless you give permission to enter.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

None of this is applicable to the unwritten law of: NEVER PEE OFF A COP.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

Umm , chill out guys, the OP said the complaint was because the cop IN UNIFORM, carried his weapon into the store.

The cop isn't acting like he is above the law, he can legally do so...

Banned

Post imported post

RayBurton72 wrote:
    Umm , chill out guys, the OP said the complaint was because the cop IN UNIFORM, carried his weapon into the store.

The cop isn't acting like he is above the law, he can legally do so...

He was acting as a private citizen, not as an officer of the law.

So no, he can not legally do, if the business says he can't.

Post imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
    I do know that where I live, a mall is posted with "No Weapons" signs, yet the police are allowed on the premises while armed.

Yes,certain police officersdo, in many instances, consider themselves above both the law and the private citizenry. Why do you think they are so outraged at a citizen who has the effrontery to openly carry a firearm like they do?
    As I mentioned before, in many states a "no weapons" sign has no inherent force of law. You must still be individually asked to leave the mall if you have a weapon. So the police probably aren't breaking the law JUST by entering with a firearm, as you might not be (though I don't know if this is the case in Alabama, check for yourself in the Alabama forum). Armed and uniformed officers also are not very likely to be asked to leave because the mall management, and the mall security personnel, do not want to get on the bad side of the local police.

So they aren't "above" the law, they are in fact probably complying fully, they just aren't trespassed like most people would be.

Banned

Post imported post

arentol wrote:
    SFCRetired wrote:
    I do know that where I live, a mall is posted with "No Weapons" signs, yet the police are allowed on the premises while armed.

Yes,certain police officersdo, in many instances, consider themselves above both the law and the private citizenry. Why do you think they are so outraged at a citizen who has the effrontery to openly carry a firearm like they do?
    As I mentioned before, in many states a "no weapons" sign has no inherent force of law. You must still be individually asked to leave the mall if you have a weapon. So the police probably aren't breaking the law JUST by entering with a firearm, as you might not be (though I don't know if this is the case in Alabama, check for yourself in the Alabama forum). Armed and uniformed officers also are not very likely to be asked to leave because the mall management, and the mall security personnel, do not want to get on the bad side of the local police.

So they aren't "above" the law, they are in fact probably complying fully, they just aren't trespassed like most people would be.
    In the case of the OP, he WAS asked to leave. And then the poor bastard who asked him to was fired because he made a stink about it. THAT'S abuse of authority.

Post imported post

Nothing in the OP indicates the cop was asked to leave. He acted within the bounds of law. Had he been asked to leave and refused, he could have been guilty of trespass. The OP does not support that though.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
    In the case of the OP, he WAS asked to leave. And then the poor bastard who asked him to was fired because he made a stink about it. THAT'S abuse of authority.
    How many "poor bastards" and businesseshave been called on by people here because they don't allow weapons? If I recall, there is even a post card pre-printed with the "I won't be going back to your store" information on it...

If it were anyone but a cop, he would have been regarded as a hero because he fought the system and won. Hell, he did a favor to O.C.'rs. Now, ANYONE can carry in the business again.

I bet you go nuts when you hear of a bank that got robbed and the police had to go inside to conduct their investigation...

Banned

Post imported post

Highlander wrote:
    I bet you go nuts when you hear of a bank that got robbed and the police had to go inside to conduct their investigation...
    I believe I mentioned something along the lines of official duty, but I guess since I'm not sucking the OC SUPREMACY dick you can't actually read what I'm saying without it being filtered into your brain as "This guy is totally anti-OC and I should hate him."

Post imported post

The officer was not asked to leave. The complaint was made directly to the officers supervisor and not through the proper channels of the corporation!

Post imported post

THIS THREAD HAS TO BE THE SILLIEST I'VE EVER SEEN...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

He complained about a cop in uniform with a gun where no guns are allowed!

Without knowing the state this happened in, we can't be sure, but nearly every state in the union gives LEO the authority to carry concealed weaponsmuch less openly in uniform, muchless while in uniform,nearly ANYWHERE they want.

Add to this, LEOSA, which is a federal law that gives them right to carry concealed (without a permit) - often in places the average CCWer cannot. While this may be a double standard, it is not the case of an officer acting as if he were "above the law."

Aside from that, does not anyone think it strange that someone would call the police department to complain about an officer carrying his firearm while in uniform?

Would any of us really expect to see a police officer in uniform remove his duty weapon and walk around unarmed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast