• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your gonna love this!

Highlander

imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
In the case of the OP, he WAS asked to leave. And then the poor bastard who asked him to was fired because he made a stink about it. THAT'S abuse of authority.

How many "poor bastards" and businesseshave been called on by people here because they don't allow weapons? If I recall, there is even a post card pre-printed with the "I won't be going back to your store" information on it...

If it were anyone but a cop, he would have been regarded as a hero because he fought the system and won. Hell, he did a favor to O.C.'rs. Now, ANYONE can carry in the business again.

I bet you go nuts when you hear of a bank that got robbed and the police had to go inside to conduct their investigation...

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

Highlander wrote:
I bet you go nuts when you hear of a bank that got robbed and the police had to go inside to conduct their investigation...
I believe I mentioned something along the lines of official duty, but I guess since I'm not sucking the OC SUPREMACY dick you can't actually read what I'm saying without it being filtered into your brain as "This guy is totally anti-OC and I should hate him."

modelo57

imported post

The officer was not asked to leave. The complaint was made directly to the officers supervisor and not through the proper channels of the corporation!

RayBurton72

imported post

He complained about a cop in uniform with a gun where no guns are allowed!

Without knowing the state this happened in, we can't be sure, but nearly every state in the union gives LEO the authority to carry concealed weaponsmuch less openly in uniform, muchless while in uniform,nearly ANYWHERE they want.

Add to this, LEOSA, which is a federal law that gives them right to carry concealed (without a permit) - often in places the average CCWer cannot. While this may be a double standard, it is not the case of an officer acting as if he were "above the law."

Aside from that, does not anyone think it strange that someone would call the police department to complain about an officer carrying his firearm while in uniform?

Would any of us really expect to see a police officer in uniform remove his duty weapon and walk around unarmed?

arentol

imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
arentol wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
I do know that where I live, a mall is posted with "No Weapons" signs, yet the police are allowed on the premises while armed.

Yes,certain police officersdo, in many instances, consider themselves above both the law and the private citizenry. Why do you think they are so outraged at a citizen who has the effrontery to openly carry a firearm like they do?
As I mentioned before, in many states a "no weapons" sign has no inherent force of law. You must still be individually asked to leave the mall if you have a weapon. So the police probably aren't breaking the law JUST by entering with a firearm, as you might not be (though I don't know if this is the case in Alabama, check for yourself in the Alabama forum). Armed and uniformed officers also are not very likely to be asked to leave because the mall management, and the mall security personnel, do not want to get on the bad side of the local police.

So they aren't "above" the law, they are in fact probably complying fully, they just aren't trespassed like most people would be.

In the case of the OP, he WAS asked to leave. And then the poor bastard who asked him to was fired because he made a stink about it. THAT'S abuse of authority.
Read the OP VERY Carefully. Nowhere does it say anyone asked the officer to leave.

Also, we don't know that the guy was fired. For all we know he was given a new job or moved to a different office.

thx997303

imported post

Why would this officer be conducting personal business on duty? Think about this for a second, he's putting miles on a tax funded cruiser, while using tax funded gas.

I guess depending on whether it was on his beat or not, I might be upset.

But LEO using cruisers for personal vehicles while off duty? That's just ridiculous.

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Why would this officer be conducting personal business on duty? Think about this for a second, he's putting miles on a tax funded cruiser, while using tax funded gas.

I guess depending on whether it was on his beat or not, I might be upset.

But LEO using cruisers for personal vehicles while off duty? That's just ridiculous.
No no, it's okay, they're POLICE OFFICERS, they're above the law, and can do anything. So long as no open carriers are bothered. Just ask OCDO.

thx997303

imported post

Hold on now, you can't paint them as above the law for doing that, I'm pretty sure there isn't a law against it.

Maybe misappropriation of government funds, but I don't think that would stick.

And this behavior doesn't usually go unpunished after it is let out.

My dad was fired for supposedly taking a city vehicle to Wyoming Downs while off duty, he didn't actually do that, but they still fired him for it.

PT111

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Many departments encourage their officers to use their cruisers while off duty.
In SC a highway patrolman may use his marked cruiser for personal use as long as he is in uniform. If he want to he can even use it for vacation as long as he stays in the state.