• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter at Costco in Winston-Salem

ootahtheterrible

imported post

Hey all, this one wasn't particularly odious but really really silly.

I went into the Costco on Hanes Mall Blvd with my fiancee, OCing my Glock 17 in a Blackhawk serpa. We wandered around getting a few things and gorging ourselves on the free samples (particularly plentiful with the pending holiday).

We payed for our merchandise and on the way out the lady who checked our receipt glanced at my weapon and asked in a rather insistent tone "Did you get that checked in as you entered?" For a second I wondered if she meant that I was to hand my weapon in to a stranger as I entered! Instead I just told her: No. I've carried in here before and never had to check anything in.

Woman: Well you have to have a special license to carry like that and it has to be on file.

Me: Costco issues its own permits does it?

Woman: No but we want your permit on file.

Me: I've carried in here many many times without so much a whisper of complaint from anyone.

Woman: Well I'm just telling you what I was told.

I know a lot of people are going to tell me I shoulda said this or that. I get it. Pretty much everything the woman said was idiotic and made up out of whole cloth. I'll only say that the woman is exceptionally lucky that my fiancee was present so I wanted the encounter as brief as possible. Its taken me a long time to get my better half to be comfortable and understanding about my OCing. Funny thing is, once we were out, she was saying things like..."How many times have you carried in there?" and "They don't have a sign posted or anything!" She's so much cooler about it than she used to be.

Anyway, I'm looking up their corporate office's number as well as their store manager number.

ootahtheterrible

imported post

Okay,

I called Castco corporate and apparently they've had a no guns policy for some time. I did a quick google search thinking 'where was I when this happened.' It made a few waves at the time but nothing major. Pity. In any case I had another "encounter" that same day buying a soda at a gas station. A cop was standing at the counter, saw my weapon and said, "Hey, how ya doin?"