• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Monticello

paramedic70002

imported post

C'ville is very metropolitan, a veritable bastion of higher thought and education. Well, that covers the UVA students, faculty and 'stay theres' in Albemarle County. Is it a coincidence that there are several different spellings for Shiflett in the phone directory? Good folk though, salt of the earth. Just talk slowly and don't look 'em in the eyes, and please stay in your locked car outside the city limits. But seriously, Deliverance was about West Virginia. Can't remember where it was filmed...

hawgasm

imported post

danbus wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
I've been trying to tell you guys that Open Carry in the Charlottesville and Albemarle County area is frowned upon. It's just a matter of time before an incident like this becomes a full blown eventwith a false arrest being made. The area is anotherNorfolk, just looking for a place to happen. And it will eventually happen.

Note to self.
should we start a defense fund? lol

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hawgasm wrote:
danbus wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
I've been trying to tell you guys that Open Carry in the Charlottesville and Albemarle County area is frowned upon. It's just a matter of time before an incident like this becomes a full blown eventwith a false arrest being made. The area is anotherNorfolk, just looking for a place to happen. And it will eventually happen.

Note to self.
should we start a defense fund? lol

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
C'ville is very metropolitan, a veritable bastion of higher thought and education. Well, that covers the UVA students, faculty and 'stay theres' in Albemarle County. Is it a coincidence that there are several different spellings for Shiflett in the phone directory? Good folk though, salt of the earth. Just talk slowly and don't look 'em in the eyes, and please stay in your locked car outside the city limits. But seriously, Deliverance was about West Virginia. Can't remember where it was filmed...
Deliverance was about Georgia, not West Virginia. The Shiffletts are a big family. The ones from Elkton to Cville are a little rough around the edges...but the ones from Elkton to West Va are pretty decent people. The ones in Elkton....are just noisey!

doug23838

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
It might have been a good idea to ask the tour guide what Mr. Jefferson's stand on guns was. If they knew it would have been very interesting for your lady friend. :^)

I think the answer to that is here: (Quoting Mr. Jefferson )

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body, and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Sheriff

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Is it a coincidence that there are several different spellings for Shiflett in the phone directory? Good folk though, salt of the earth.remember where it was filmed...
The Shiffletts were Prussian soldiers who came to America to help fight in the Revolutionary War. And many many years ago, after the Revolutionary War, some ofthe Shiffletts ended up working in the coal mines of Virginia. The bookkeeper had no computer and didn't know one Shifflett from the other. So his solution was to spell their last names differently. That is how there came to be so many spellings supposedly.

paramedic70002 wrote:
C'ville is very metropolitan, a veritable bastion of higher thought and education..... please stay in your locked car outside the city limits.
News flash! Better keep your car doors locked within the city limits too now. :D

67GT390FB

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

Seriously Laughing My @$$ OFF!

dayum, Dan. THAT's funny right there. Don't forget your BMWAG hat when you go. On second thought, Are you looking for a driver/documentarian? As you know, I'm retired. I'd like to make a trip out to Charlottesville. With any luck, we'll find their local Grand Poobah in charge with his white pointy hat that doesn't like guns married to the local MMM gang leader.

Anyone know about the quality of the food in the Albamarle (sp?) county jail? How about comforts? Should we bring our laptops so we can contribute to the OCDO forum? I wonder how much they will pay for every day we're illegally incarcerated? Could be educational, as long as we live through the experience. Some of those "mountain people" scare me. When I think about our fellow Virginians in the western counties, I think about banjo music, Ned Beatty and canoes trips.

That really doesn't sound like Charlottesville at all. Plug 37.22°N 80.418°W into your gps or google maps w/ satelite image turned onand i'm sure you'll find lots of toothless hillbilly's both native and transient running around the local area most fall saturday afternoons.:celebrate:celebrate:monkey:lol:

Joe (UVABSARCH97)

TFred

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
That really doesn't sound like Charlottesville at all. Plug 37.22°N 80.418°W into your gps or google maps w/ satelite image turned onand i'm sure you'll find lots of toothless hillbilly's both native and transient running around the local area most fall saturday afternoons.:celebrate:celebrate:monkey:lol:

Joe (UVABSARCH97)
Ha ha, you're askin' for it now!

For those with weak Google-fu:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.22,-80.41804&t=h&z=16

TFred

Flintlock

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
It might have been a good idea to ask the tour guide what Mr. Jefferson's stand on guns was. If they knew it would have been very interesting for your lady friend. :^)

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body, and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

That's a good one, but I like this one too...

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

That's a good one, but I like this one too...

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson.

I've been waiting for someone to jump in and say that's not what Jefferson was talking about.

Did yall run 229 off again?:lol:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

TFred wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

Joe (UVABSARCH97)
Ha ha, you're askin' for it now!

For those with weak Google-fu:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.22,-80.41804&t=h&z=16

TFred
I plugged in the wrong numbers into my GoogleEarth and came up with a field WAY out in the boonies... Sorry. Forgive my Dyslexic GoogleMainia