• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norinco 1911, Anyone had experience?

BreakingTheMold

imported post

Has anyone ever owned or shot a Norinco 1911? From what I've read there really durable and reliable for the price. Forged slide, tight tolerances etc.

I know there are much better manufacturers but it's always nice to have something you can abuse and not feel bad about.

Michigander

imported post

The forged frame and slide might not hold up as well long term as a machined one would, but for anybody on a budget that would lead them to want a Norinco or something similar, it probably won't matter so much.

It's pretty much the same with any entry level 1911's. They are a durable design, and with a good feed ramp and tuned extractor, they will be very reliable. If you really want to, you even go over board and tune it to be very accurate. On the off chance that a part breaks, any gun shop in the USA can fix it for you. It's a sensible purchase if they appeal to you.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I've always been a fan of the 1911, ever since I first fired one. Colt Delta 10mm, What a pistol.

What would be another or several other entry level model 1911s? Price is less of an issue than reliability, and accuracy as I'm not looking to buy one right away.

In short I'm looking for a reference on an accurate and reliable 1911, any manufacturer.Blued finish or black. Not a match tuned or anything, Full length barrel. How are Kimbers? are there frames an issue?

Michigander

imported post

Kimbers are very nice, but much more expensive. If you want to spend top dollar, and have great reliability and accuracy, a Kimber is a good option.

Other reliable entry level 1911's include, but are not limited to, Springfield's cheaper options, Charles Daly, Armscor, RIA, and others I'm too tired to remember.

Again, with reliability, you will have no trouble at all making a 1911 reliable, especially if you have a smith do 50 bucks or so worth of reliability work. They are extremely common, and one of the easiest pistols to work on ever designed.

Accuracy will vary gun to gun, and also by ammo. If you start doing things like getting competition grade barrels and bushings, a tightened up slide, and really fancy factory ammo or good handloads, you can make nearly any 1911 you can find a tack driver.

But the question with accuracy is how much accuracy do you want or need? Most 1911 ransom rest tests I've read about have shown that even stock lower end 1911's are going to be capable of groups under 3" at 25 yards.