• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody Ever "Supersize" Your OC Experience??

Ore

imported post

Just curious if any of y'all ever break out the big guns for OC (e.g. Large frame/Long barrel revolvers etc.). I've got a 7.5" stainless Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .44 that just begs me to OC it in a leather rig from time to time. Haven't gone for it yet, but may have to break it out soon. :)

What about y'all?

XD40coyote

imported post

Last year at an OC lunch in Gettysburg, I met a guy who was OCing just that same gun I believe. I thought it was pretty funny personally( I think I joked with him about those evil attack deer or something silly, since it is a gun generally used for hunting larger game such as deer), but certainly there is nothing wrong with it. OC is OC afterall.

Also last year some time I recall a post at PAFOA by a guy who strapped on his Desert Eagle .50 and OC'd around his town. A cop car stops next to him and he thinks "uh oh, here we go with the tsk tsk OC talk", but the cop was just really interested in the gun itself, so they chatted about Desert Eagles and other gun talk stuff.

Now I think if you say....OC 10 guns at once...well that may be a bit much! ( but if you need to lose weight, walking around with all that iron and lead on you would be good! Start burning that fat!)

nova

imported post

One OCDO member comes to mind.

casullshooter

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Midget and I carry "regular size" pistols: Mine is a H&K USP 45 and hers is a full size .45 cal Glock 21 SF. Italmost looks like a cartoon gunon her little waist, though.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hmmmmm...Sometimes!:lol:

IMG_1870-640x480.jpg

richarcm

imported post

Carrying a 1911 is more tedious than I can tolerate. I can't imagine carrying anything larger or heavier. Although it would be pretty cool to do I think.

HardChrome

imported post

I occasionally carry my Redhawk in .44 Mag. It's been cut down to 4" but the frame and that huge cylinder filed with 300 grain Hornadys are enough to wake anyone up.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I thiunk the best choice for normal daily carry is a modern full size handgun with a proper holster. Carrying an extraordinarily large or unusual gun, especially one without a modern holster with at least some retention charachteristics does not put forward the image we want to the general public.

Having said that, carrying unique firearms to special events, the range, etc. is probably fine as the "audience" is internal.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
I thiunk the best choice for normal daily carry is a modern full size handgun with a proper holster. Carrying an extraordinarily large or unusual gun, especially one without a modern holster with at least some retention charachteristics does not put forward the image we want to the general public.

Having said that, carrying unique firearms to special events, the range, etc. is probably fine as the "audience" is internal.
That's true to a point Mike. None of my larger handguns is an ideal combat weapon. But remember, not all of us go to an office every day or even see other humans. We also OC but the jobs the handgun will be called to do are far different than someone strolling around in NOVA.

As far as the image....I'd much rather see Grapeshot, or Skidmark or myself, with our LARGE guns, than someone with a leg holster dressed in BDU's. I think I wore my L frame 44 special at the last dinner. Before that, my 24/7 .45...before that my Smith 59...I suspect the BFR will be next.

Just my opinion!

essayons

imported post

Carried my 6" S&W686 .357 to an OC dinner a while ago b/c the gf wanted to OC the 1911. Got some comments about being ready for bear hunting, etc.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
peter nap wrote:
not all of us go to an office every day or even see other humans.
Now you are scaring me.
:lol:

This is the nearest home to me. It's about a mile away

house.jpg

This is my backyard:

peternap
IMG_0877.jpg

Coming back to the burbs for any reason, really makes me unhappy.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

HEY!

I didn't give anyone permission to come in my yard and take pics of my house! I went inside for some sweettea (pronounced "tay")while I was changing the windows for the screens for warmer weather and y'all come strollin through the yard takin pics of the ol' homestead!

Ain't there any privacy anymore?

:cuss:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
HEY!

I didn't give anyone permission to come in my yard and take pics of my house! I went inside for some sweettea (pronounced "tay")while I was changing the windows for the screens for warmer weather and y'all come strollin through the yard takin pics of the ol' homestead!

Ain't there any privacy anymore?

:cuss:

Well Google earth does it.:cry:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Hmmmmm...Sometimes!:lol:

IMG_1870-640x480.jpg
Very nice, but this crosses the line from being "Small Arms" to the "Anti-Aircraft Artillery" department. Midget and I had a chance to shoot a friend's S&W 500 a couple years ago. I was amazed how much the weight and ported barrel kept down the recoil. It seemed to have less felt recoil than my .45!

XD40coyote

imported post

essayons wrote:
Carried my 6" S&W686 .357 to an OC dinner a while ago b/c the gf wanted to OC the 1911. Got some comments about being ready for bear hunting, etc.

My 617 looks like a .357 LOL, heck its big and heavy enough, and has a 6" barrel, but it's really just a squirrel,bunny, and raccoon sort of gun. I see it as my "looks big and scary" gun, though nobody wants 10 .22's in them either...

I should get a cowgirl outfit and OC the 617 LOL. Think I will get noticed up there in PA? Should I get one of those snazy beaver felt cowboy hats? Cananyone recommend a brand of spurs?

BTW one day I was at my fav lil eatery in PA and 3 "cowboys" were in there. Yeah they actually looked like the real deal and one guy had spurs that made a nice sound when he walked. Down the road is this ranch place with horses that does cowboy stuff and whatnot. I had to about tie myself to the seat and duct tape my mouth, asI REALLY wanted to ask them where their shootin irons were at. Maybe cowboys in PA wear em concealed? LOL- these guys needed some educatin' about the Wild East, but they looked kinda like they can kick butt with looks alone (I felt it was impolite for a lady to interrupt 3 tough cowboys eatin' grub). Of course they might have been from southernNJ where there's that rodeo, and didn't know what guns are being from NJ and all LMAO.