• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunshow Carry

jerg_064

imported post

If a police officer can carry in the gun show then I can. I want to make sure y'all understand that this is not the question here.

One day I will work up the balls to go ahead a try loaded OC at a gun show, but in the mean time, when I return to the states, I would simply like to carry my firearm for the purpose of self-defense. Provided a gun show is the least likely place for something to happen, it is still possible as people are not patted down at the entrance. PLUS..... It's my right!

So lets say i'm CCing; I walk up to the Eastman's gun show entrance at the Macon Centroplex and the LEO guard asks "do you have any firearms to declare?".

Well since I'm legally allowed to carry here, and there is no law that states I must admit to an officer I am carrying a weapon when I'm not being detained, I'm not going to sell the weapon, and it will not magically jump out of my holster at any point,

Can I legally say "No, I don't have any weapons I need to declare"?

jackb

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
Bring another gun and let the LEO zip tie it?
That's a cop-out IMO.

Is answering "no" legal? I would think so, but IANAL. Then again, if you're concealed, noone would be the wiser.
I think the "loophole" would is dependent on the questions wording- "Do you have any guns to declare" vs "Do you have a gun on you"

I've never been asked anything on the way into a gun show, so if I was to OC at one, I would just walk right in like it was not a big deal (b/c it isn't) and if stopped mention the military exemption.

Best case - they follow the law and you go on your way.
Worst case- they insist on you unloading and you either submit or take your money elsewhere.
I would bring a printout of the 16-11-130 with the line about military highlighted, just in case.

Gunslinger

imported post

Here in COS, gunshows post no carry unless you plan on selling/trading. In that case, they put a tiewrap around it. Stupid, but it's their right to restrict.

TheMrMitch

imported post

The biggest gunshow...Knob Creek...will ask aboutand tie down any weapon going in. I can understand that at ANY gun show where weapons are handled and manhandled. SAFETY first. IF...you CC...I have never known them to search.

jerg_064

imported post

I suppose I'll just CC and bring a copy of 16-11-130 wit me.

The 'loophole' is the big question though, If they ask me if I have a weapon at all, then I really want to know if I have to answer truthfully if I'm lawfully carrying. I'm not under 'oath' and I'm not obstructing justice.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Are you really asking if the promoter needs a reason to issue you a criminal trespass warning? I think that is your real question.