• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fixing New Hampshire's Open Carry "Anomaly" (Vehicle Carry)

jc7687

imported post

Since I can't find such a thread on this site, I'm starting this thread to discuss what has been done and is being done to eliminate New Hampshire's permit requirement for open carry in a vehicle, thus allowing people to carry openly throughout their daily routine without asking permission of the state.

Has legislation to this effect been introduced in the past few years? What obstacles exist to the removal of this restriction? What can we do to overcome them?

Thank you in advance for anything you can contribute. :)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Take a look at our unlicensed travelers map - recently progress was made in Utah, Georgia and Texas on this front - you can point to that to encourage reform also in NH.

Most states require no permit to carry a loaded handgun in vehicles in at least some manner, see map for some of the permutations.

jc7687

imported post

Thanks, Mike. I think that argument will definitely play a part. Even where concealed and/or open carry is significantly more restricted than in NH, unlicensed vehicle carry in some form is frequently allowed, so I think that's a very good point to make.

doobie

imported post

Someone needs to propose the legislation. Reps and Senators get to hear how "OMG it'll endanger the public and law enforcement." from the law enforcement unions.

There has been talk for an Alaska style licensing in NH for a few years now. Basically no license required, but available if you want it for reciprocity. Also another proposal where it would be a box on your license.

I'd prefer the $10 paper license to continue, but be optional.

I'd love to propose the legislation, but I need to become a state rep next November, then maintain that status two years later.... AND anyway, I'd hope it will be taken care of by then.

david.ross

imported post

Why wouldn't you want to be a state rep. I hear people complain how their legislator isn't "doing it right" so why not be someone who does it right?

doobie

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Why wouldn't you want to be a state rep. I hear people complain how their legislator isn't "doing it right" so why not be someone who does it right?
I definitely want to be a rep and do my best to encourage any liberty lovers I know to also work toward becoming a state rep.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Last time i checked the only law on the books keeping us from open carrying while in a vehicle is a Fish and Game law. RSA 215-C:1. No loaded firearm, shotgun, or rifle shall be carried or transported with a cartridge in the chamber, magazine, or clip attached to the firearm, shotgun, or rifle, while the vehicle is in motion.The executive director may issue such a permit upon application in person or upon documentary proof of such disability by a licensed hunter. Such permit shall be carried upon the person of the permittee while hunting and shall be produced for inspection upon the demand of any law enforcement officer. A $10 administrative fee shall be charged once, upon application to the executive director for such permit.
II. The permit shall be perpetual. The executive director shall retain the records for such permits for a period not less than 7 years. Loss or destruction of the permit after 7 years shall obligate the permittee to re-establish eligibility.

Source. 1957, 188:1. 1963, 81:1. 1988, 95:1, eff. June 17, 1988. 1996, 202:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1997. 2005, 210:7, eff. July 1, 2006.

If you search all the Rsa ( i have searched most of them) Also going off what i have been told by others. This is the only reason why you can not carry with out a permit while in a vehicle.

doobie

imported post

RSA 215-C:1 (Acctually it is 207:7) is if you are disabled and while hunting. What you want is:

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

The one thing I noticed just now is that it says pistol/revolver....says nothing about a rifle. That must be somewhere else. Yeap, 207:7. says it (I should write this things in order). But RSA 207 doesn't set forth the type of violation you are guilty of. It just says you are guilty of a violation. I can only find penalties for violations of 207:4 and 207:10 listed.

mvpel

imported post

The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance will be hosting a "legislative proposals" event at Murphy's Taproom in Manchester in the near future, which will be attended by many different pro-Liberty representatives. Ideas will be discussed for new bills to expand personal freedom in the state for the upcoming legislative session.

I don't recall the date off the top of my head, check http://www.nhliberty.org/