• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are we just looking for trouble by open carrying?

Michigander

imported post

We’re accused of this fairly regularly, so I think it is worth discussing in depth.

The one time I thought I might have to shoot a man, it was probably the worst feeling I’ve ever felt in my entire life, and certainly nothing I'd ever hope for. He saw me open carrying, and he didn’t care, he kept acting like he was going to jump a woman at a Quik Trip gas station. I had a not so secure holster and a messed up leg, so there was no way I would take him on by hand, even if he didn’t appear high or drunk. I had this tremendous sinking feeling, like this jerk was about to turn my life upside down. Luckily he eventually backed off and left. Even knowing I’d be justified if I had to shoot him, and even knowing the whole thing would be on tape, and even knowing that the Phoenix police would probably just tell me good job, I had a terrible feeling in my gut at that point. It is a feeling I always want to avoid, and that is why I open carry, to scare criminals away from me so I don’t have to deal with them.

I was talking to another open carrier at an open carry litter clean up recently (he can identify himself if he wants to) and he was telling me about how he was concealed carrying, and he came very close to having to kill 3 criminals. He said that even though he didn’t have to even draw, for about 6 hours after the incident he was physically sick. He and I both agreed that the idea that we actually hope for trouble is absurd.

So, just for the purposes of collecting information to give to people who say we’re looking for trouble, what has gone through your mind before or after you almost had to, or did have to shoot someone? Or, if you’ve never been in that type of position, or even if you have, how do you feel about the prospect of being in a future life and death self defense situation?

If anyone can site studies about this subject, they’d be a good reference point as well. I googled it, but I couldn't find anything.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I couldn't agree with you more. I CC'd quite a while ago and was forced into a situation where I nearly had to shoot the driver of a car that came up on the sidewalk at my sister and I. I actually drew the pistol and aimed where I figured the driver's face was and was in the process of taking up trigger-slack when the driver veered off and lit out of there like his tail-end was on fire.
After the incident I was sick to my stomach, almost to the point of vomiting. I don't want to have to shoot anyone, but at the same time I can cite other incidents where a combination of my presence and my highly visible sidearm have thwarted a few miscreants!! I OC mainly for my protection, but I do it as well because I like to educate people about the legality of it as well as letting the general public know that those of us who OC aren't the type to shoot up the nearest Golden Arches or K-Mart we come to. We're not gonna rob the local Convenience Store or beat some little old lady over the head rather than help her across the street!
The general opinion of OC'ers is quite neutral, but I'm trying to show others that we're quite harmless and we're actually rather friendly when you get to know us. But I'm just one person, I wish I could do more!!

FunkTrooper

imported post

That's interesting my experience was quite different when these two guys rolled up and were threatening my friends and I. My open carried 1911 scared them off eventually but for a time I was ready to fire on both and I found it to be the most calming experience of my life and afterwards I just felt very relaxed (I'm not saying this to sound cool or anything and I don't fully understand it that's just what happens to me during stressful situations I guess).

I don't look for trouble and that's one of the reason I prefer OC as it's more of a deterrent to criminals where CC you wait until they commit the crime so you can kill them. All that stuff about CC being better for the element of surprise and tactical advantage is bull@#&%. My element of surprise is when the BG scopes the place and sees a full size pistol on my belt and is so surprised he leaves. My tactical advantage is having a quick smooth draw unhindered by clothing.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I agree. When it came time to draw my sidearm in my situation, it was as though nothing else existed. The draw and target/sight acquisition (as far as I can remember) where effortless. The whole situation, at that moment, was calm, cool, efficient and very well in-view of the driver. He knew what could have happened and for his sake, he's lucky he didn't try to push the envelope any further than he did. At the specific moment, I remember things being very serene-like and very methodical. It didn't happen until later, when I got the shakes and got an extremely upset stomach!
I too am glad I didn't have to discharge my firearm during the event in possibly taking someone's life. I know it was a couple of teenage kids. I was about 25 at the time and while I may have had about 8-10 years on them, it still wouldn't have been the easiest thing in the world to live with!!

Michigander

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
The very worst was a thirteen-year-old boy that posed a serious threat to my life. I don't think I'd have ever forgiven myself if I'd had to shoot him.
I know you would probably have PTSD, as would anyone else in that situation with a conscience, but why would it morally bother you if you had to kill someone who threatened your life? I don't care if it's a 10 year old being a violent felon, a dangerous felon is a dangerous felon.

That situation would bother me probably for the rest of my life, but it's not something I would hesitate on, nor would I regret it morally. That is how I see any self defense situation. Better I keep my life than let any bad person take it.

On a similar and highly related note, I've also come to believe that if my being there doesn't scare off burglars who aren't threatening me physically, I'll probably just leave, call the cops, wait a few hours for them to show up, then when they do, have them write me out a report to give to my insurance company so I can go get my check. I think that there are 2 kinds of interactions with criminals. Life threatening situations where it's time to open fire, and non life threatening situations where you should merely leave. Property is replaceable, lives aren't.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I just spent the past three days in Tombstone ( Wyatt Earp Days). Sixguns, derringers, pocket guns, lever guns, rabbit ear shotguns, rolling blocks... all over the place... and BIG knives of every description on men 'n women both. That three days made Tombstone prob'ly the SAFEST, most polite town in Arizona... 9 crowdedbars with bikers in their colors'n all. Not even the slightest altercation...

'Been doin' this for the past 4 years (every event)... and it's the same. 'Only time anything nasty happens is when the guns ain't on the streets. Go figure!

BTW... I've had to shoot people... (they needed shootin'). There's no PTSD... no more than for havin' to shoot a rabid animal... It needs doin'... so you do it. You'll know when it needs doin'... seriously.

Michigander

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
BTW... I've had to shoot people... (they needed shootin'). There's no PTSD... no more than for havin' to shoot a rabid animal... It needs doin'... so you do it. You'll know when it needs doin'... seriously.
It definitely varies from person to person. I've known a lot of veterans that have/had nightmares for the rest of their lives. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and now the sandbox. People I've known from various places, including my family, wake up in the middle of the night thinking they're back in the war, fighting to live. But my grandpa on the other hand, his attitude is a lot like yours. He killed minimally dozens of Japanese soldiers in the Philippines from far away with heavy artillery, and it's never bothered him much, because he knew what they'd do to him if they could.

But the point is, I don't think it matters what someones attitude is, even Dirty Harry, if he was real, probably wouldn't want to have to kill anyone, and that I feel is very important for people to understand. Those who carry guns do so because they want to be able to defend themselves, not because they hope they will have the chance to.

N00blet45

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Property is replaceable, lives aren't.
Depends on the property. A truck is replaceable sure, but what about a 1948 Ford pickup that was handed down from your granddad that is the only thing you have to remember him?

I've never been in a life-death situation (or at least I didn't know if there were life-death). Thank God for that. The closest I can recall is about a year ago when me and my wife were walking home. My mom had a stray dog that decided to live at her house. It was a good dog, but something set it off when me and my wife were walking up. It knew us, we'd been there for about a month. It suddenly became very aggressive and started heading towards me and my wife. Without even thinking I was in front of my wife, pistol in hand. Then as quickly as it began the dog stopped barking, calmed down, and walked off.

I know a dog does not compare to a human life but I had no qualms with my conduct after wards. Looking back it seems surreal. I'm normally not very confrontational but something set me off, probably my perception of my wife being in danger.

Like I said, I've never been in a situation so I can only speculate. Knowing how I usually handle situations I doubt I'd lose much sleep over the death of a scumbag. Scum die all the time, I don't cry when a cop does the job. Why should I cry because I was forced into doing it? If I did nothing wrong then why should I feel bad?

DarKRaceR

imported post

I have recently had a situation where while on a search of an abandoned bldg, my partner and I came across two males, one who had an baseball bat, held in a threatening manner. I drew on the subject and ordered him to put the bat down and take 4 steps back, hands wide open and up, and told his compatriot the same. It turned out that the 2 men were jsut there to "tag"(spray paint) and take some photos. Afterwards, I did not feel sick or overly nervous, or was shaking much. In my experiance, I believe those who are put in situations more often get more accepting of the idea of drawing on another human being. Ever since I was old enough to comprehend, I was taught to use force as a last resort, but in the end YOU must come back home at the end of the day. So with that said, those of us who put themselves in harms way on a day to day basis, tend to accept the fact that atany given time you might have to draw and fire on a person, be it a man or woman. But with proper training you can keep it from becoming a fatality with well placed marksmenship, or just a good bluff and a measured show of force.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

You know, I gotta laugh when I read posts of others who are opposed to OC when they're a member of a site here that promotes Open Carry. I personally don't have a problem with Open Carry just like I don't have a problem with Concealed Carry either. I don't have a problem with anyone who lawfully and legally carries a gun for protection.
I think it's awesome to see others who carry. I love when others do so and I welcome questions from anyone (from both sides of the fence) about why I carry and what inspired me to do so in the first place!! There are those who will occasionally come up to me and ask me why I need it, who oppose it but that's their prerogative and I don't try to force my opinion and mindset on them. I just figure that if I can answer their questions to the best of my ability, then I have accomplished my goal. If an individual wants more information on the subject and is a potential supporter of OC/CC, then great, yet another goal accomplished.
Again, I'm not going to force my opinion on anyone. I just figure if they're gonna ask me about why I do it and actually listen, then I'll tell them how I feel. If it's someone who's criticizing me, asking why I do it and still arguing with me, then I'll more than likely bid them good-day and walk away. I won't stoop to their level and argue with them, I just figure it's difficult to tell who the idiot is when arguing with someone!!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Michigander wrote:
I know you would probably have PTSD, as would anyone else in that situation with a conscience, but why would it morally bother you if you had to kill someone who threatened your life? I don't care if it's a 10 year old being a violent felon, a dangerous felon is a dangerous felon.

It would morally bother me because, even though he was as dangerous as any adult (he had stolen his father's pistol to come after me), he was still very much a child.

Killing a child, no matter how justified, would haunt me to the end of my days and it would be much more devastating than were I forced to take the life of an adult.

There again, we have that difference in individuals. Some of you could pull the trigger on a thirteen-year-old and eventually get over it. I know I couldn't.

That is not to condemn any of you; it is just to point out the differences. Keep in mind that "different" does not mean "bad" or "good"; it just means "different".

To add more to the discussion: My Dad was a WWI veteran and, through him, I got to know quite a few vets from the First World War. Almost every one of them that actually served on the front lines admitted to still having flashbacks.

I talked to the last ones at Dad's funeral in 1975 and several of those told me that they still experienced occasional nightmares and flashbacks.

I wonder if those who are in combat are more traumatized than those who are in a self-defense scenario?
WW1 trench warfare with it's direct frontal assaults was a god-awful (now mostly ignored... not studied) wholesale slaughter experience on a massive scale. "Battle of the Somme is famousfor the loss of 58,000 British troops (one third of them killed) on the first day of the battle, 1 July 1916." I recall reading the French lost 45,000 in 15 minutes... 'forgot where. Then, there was the gas 'n the piles of unburied corpses... and the rats that fed on them. That'd make anybody nuts.

GWbiker

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Michigander wrote:

It would morally bother me because, even though he was as dangerous as any adult (he had stolen his father's pistol to come after me), he was still very much a child.

Killing a child, no matter how justified, would haunt me to the end of my days and it would be much more devastating than were I forced to take the life of an adult.

There again, we have that difference in individuals. Some of you could pull the trigger on a thirteen-year-old and eventually get over it. I know I couldn't.

That is not to condemn any of you; it is just to point out the differences. Keep in mind that "different" does not mean "bad" or "good"; it just means "different".

To add more to the discussion: My Dad was a WWI veteran and, through him, I got to know quite a few vets from the First World War. Almost every one of them that actually served on the front lines admitted to still having flashbacks.

I talked to the last ones at Dad's funeral in 1975 and several of those told me that they still experienced occasional nightmares and flashbacks.

I wonder if those who are in combat are more traumatized than those who are in a self-defense scenario?
WW1 trench warfare with it's direct frontal assaults was a god-awful (now mostly ignored... not studied) wholesale slaughter experience on a massive scale. "Battle of the Somme is famousfor the loss of 58,000 British troops (one third of them killed) on the first day of the battle, 1 July 1916." I recall reading the French lost 45,000 in 15 minutes... 'forgot where. Then, there was the gas 'n the piles of unburied corpses... and the rats that fed on them. That'd make anybody nuts.
The madness about WWI was British and French Officers marching their troops across no-mans land into the massive firepower of German heavy machine guns.

German military hand picked men who were orphaned or came from broken families for a three man MG team; young men who would show no emotion over killing hundreds of enemy soldiers with a Maxim heavy machine gun.

WWI was shear madness!

tradermike69

imported post

I have just been a member for a short time. I have just recieved my CCW. Oh no bad words here LOL, I am on the fence so to speak,, In this forum its great to open carry, I like to get with people who like guns,, So I joined the others here, I would like to be able to open carry when I want, And also be able to CCW, when its better suited, Some make an argument that open carry, You will be the first one out of the fight. As the CCW, BG's won't know your armed? Like I said new here, Just a few thoughts, I also like the :"Why ask Why?,,

reconvic

imported post

This is my personal opinion only from what I have seen on and off duty.
This country is full with soccer mom's and they see a weapon and they fear guns and in some states a CCW person will not get hassled by P.D. when a
Person showing can get reported and will have the P.D . Come out to check them out if called by a soccer mom. Which happens more then you think.
I personally carry concealed cocked and locked. I feel it is the State in which you live in matters more. In AZ. Open carry is legal yet people do get profiled.
S/F Vic

Sonora Rebel

imported post

reconvic wrote:
This country is full with soccer mom's and they see a weapon and they fear guns and in some states a CCW person will not get hassled by P.D. when a
Person showing can get reported and will have the P.D . Come out to check them out if called by a soccer mom. Which happens more then you think.
I personally carry concealed cocked and locked. I feel it is the State in which you live in matters more. In AZ. Open carry is legal yet people do get profiled.
S/F Vic
No... Open Carry is 'Recognized' in AZ as a right. Rights can only be denied... not 'legalized'. I dunno who in AZ ever got profiled... None that I've heard of, unless you look like a pachuko gang banger.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

reconvic wrote:
S/F Vic
That'sone of the reasons that I open carry, is to educate people and get them acclimated to the fact that it's not just cops and bad guys that have guns. I usually carry a dark gun in a dark holster against dark clothing, so the gun is usually not the first thing that people notice when they see me.

I usually greet people with a smile and small talk, and it's usually after they're disarmed (so to speak) that they notice that I'm carrying a gun, at which point they're more curious than concerned.

I understand that people are profiled all the time, and if they're carrying a gun openly that factors greatly into the profiler's judgment of them, but if nothing else about the open carrier is threatening then no further action is taken.

I have friends who are into body modifications who would like to open carry but are afraid to because they know that they will be judged unfairly on their appearance. They are very aware that their physical appearance is intimidating to some, and they don't want to compound the negativity by carrying openly.

I carry openly now to help these people in the future, when open carry WILL be more accepted.

reconvic

imported post

Trust me I am not a P.D. but shoot and have many friends that are and yes it is legal but many people do get stopped because the local P.D. has to respond to calls. I also live in AZ. for many a years. As you and I said people that get profiled are mostly people that are young and may dress like a "gangbanger"
S/F Vic