• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kalamazoo Picnic!

hopnpop

imported post

Bronson wrote:
I can't be there but I just want to wish you all the best. I spend a lot of time in Kazoo and Portage and would like to see the local PDs get a handle on how to properly deal with lawful carry.

Thanks for putting yourselves out there.

Bronson
Shame you can't make it. I have heard of some if not several positive "local PD" encounters with legal carriers, altho I think most of them were with CC-ers who've disclosed that they were armed. Regardless, more of them (officers)need to be better familiarized with lawful carry, I agree. Wish you could make it.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Members of OpenCarry.org, a pro-2nd Amendment group, will be hosting an Open Carry Picnic in Bronson Park on June 7, 2009 from 1-4:00pm.

The purpose of this event is to educate the public about openly carrying firearms within the State of Michigan. Members of OpenCarry.org, as well as the general public, are welcome to attend this family-friendly event, and enjoy a good picnic among friends.

Many members present will be openly carrying a firearm at the event. We welcome non-members to join us to learn more about the practice, but open carry is not a requirement to attend. Information will be on-hand for anyone that wishes to learn more about the open carry of a handgun. Please bring a dish to pass and your own soft drinks and tableware.

Where: Bronson Park, Meet at Corner of Rose & Academy, Kalamazoo, MI
When: June 7th, 2009
Time: 1:00 PM-4:00 PM
Press Contact: Josh [redacted]

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Generally these picnics are pot lucks, bring a dish to share, your own beverages and table-wear.People should PM Springer XDacp know what you will be bringing so he can post it on the events thread.

Be sure to have a video recorder and still cameras so you can post some pictures of all the fun.

I have sent OC info to both the Kalamazoo and Portage PD's so they should be aware of lawful OC.

The main purpose of these picnics is to HAVE FUN and meet people with similar interests.

EM87

imported post

Someone should really PM me the day before to make sure I don't forget to bring the cooler full of cold, refreshing H2O. I just have this feeling that I'll need a reminder... :?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

EM87 wrote:
Someone should really PM me the day before to make sure I don't forget to bring the cooler full of cold, refreshing H2O. I just have this feeling that I'll need a reminder... :?

Just click "watch topic" on the bottom-left of the page. That way, you'll get an email when this thread is updated.

stephgrinage23

imported post

http://ecode360.com/ecode3-back/getSimple.jsp?custId=KA2666&guid=9695545

^^does this apply to the public sidewalk in front of the court (Main St./Kalamazoo St./Academy St.) If we intend to do a "march" i'd like to find out about this, since there is a public court building right there.

my guess is it doesnt apply, but knowing how PSO's are in Kalamazoo, they may find a way to interpret this city ordinance against us.

or this:

http://ecode360.com/ecode3-back/getSimple.jsp?custId=KA2666&guid=9695537

And this is OT but WTF?

http://ecode360.com/ecode3-back/getSimple.jsp?custId=KA2666&guid=9695559

how am i going to defend myself if i'm not allowed to fire my weapon if necessary?

i wonder if our indoor shooting range has specific permission on behalf of its patrons/members to fire weapons.?

i need to go to bed. :(

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stephgrinage23 wrote:
SNIP
http://ecode360.com/ecode3-back/getSimple.jsp?custId=KA2666&guid=9695559

how am i going to defend myself if i'm not allowed to fire my weapon if necessary?

i wonder if our indoor shooting range has specific permission on behalf of its patrons/members to fire weapons.?

i need to go to bed. :(

The Michigan Preemption Law of 1990, specifically, MCL 123.1102, prohibits local units of Government from enforcing laws (ordinances) more stringent than the state. However, the State of Michigan allows the units of Government to control discharge of fireams. Therefore, Section 234a:

[align=left]750.234a Intentionally discharging firearm from motor vehicle, snowmobile, or off-road vehicle in manner that endangers safety of another individual as felony; penalty; exception; “peace officer” defined; selfdefense.[/align]

[align=left]Sec. 234a. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or (3), an individual who intentionally discharges a firearm from a motor vehicle, a snowmobile, or an off-road vehicle in such a manner as to endanger the safety of another individual is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years, or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.[/align]
[align=left](2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a peace officer of this state or another state, or of a local unit of government of this state or another state, or of the United States, performing his or her duties as a peace officer while on or off a scheduled work shift as a peace officer. As used in this subsection, “peace officer” means that term as defined in section 215.[/align]
[align=left](3) Subsection (1) does not apply to an individual who discharges a firearm in self-defense or the defense of another individual.[/align]

[align=left]History:
Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;—Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;—Am. 1996, Act 163, Imd. Eff. Apr. 11, 1996;—Am. 2005, Act 303, Imd. Eff. Dec. 21, 2005.[/align]

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

stephgrinage23 wrote:

^^does this apply to the public sidewalk in front of the court (Main St./Kalamazoo St./Academy St.) If we intend to do a "march" i'd like to find out about this, since there is a public court building right there.

my guess is it doesnt apply, but knowing how PSO's are in Kalamazoo, they may find a way to interpret this city ordinance against us.

or this:

The first won't matter for the courts at least, as they're not open on Sunday.

The second will only matter if we're actually impeding traffic, and the police actually order us to disperse.

If we're holding a march, and the police order us to disperse, then we'll just spread out and cover more ground in groups of 2-3.

-Zig.

stephgrinage23

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
stephgrinage23 wrote:

or this:

The first won't matter for the courts at least, as they're not open on Sunday.

The second will only matter if we're actually impeding traffic, and the police actually order us to disperse.

If we're holding a march, and the police order us to disperse, then we'll just spread out and cover more ground in groups of 2-3.

-Zig.
ok, sounds good.

autosurgeon

imported post

I will bring a pack of dogs and buns as well as a bowl of tater salad. Plates and a small assortment of plastic ware...as well. If you think a big bag or 2 of potato chips would be good I have some left from our end of the year picnic last week that we didn't use and they will be out of date by next year soooo. Ask and they are yours!

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I will bring a pack of dogs and buns as well as a bowl of tater salad.  Plates and a small assortment of plastic ware...as well. If you think a big bag or 2 of potato chips would be good I have some left from our end of the year picnic last week that we didn't use and they will be out of date by next year soooo. Ask and they are yours!

Please bring everything you can, and thanks for the offer!

EM87

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Looks like we may have a formidable crowd! 15 confirmed.

Plus 1-3 more of my friends!

Also, I PMed office888 who was going to bring water as well (I'm on that list too), but since I'm bringing 2 cases of bottled water (48 bottles), he's now going to bring a cooler for the pop that he's bringing (instead of more water).

autosurgeon

imported post

Well I doubt we will go hungry or thirsty:lol:

Oh and I will bring my camera it takes wicked good stills and decent video. Plenty good enough for you tube! I will be glad to take care of that and if we were to have an issue it would be good to have it on camera!