Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VCDL Picnic in Newport News - June 6th

Post imported post

Who here is planning on attending the up coming VCDL picnic in Newport News? I attended the one last year with my wife and kids (my boy had his holster and cap gun)(was also the boy in the Nightline video strapping it on). I'll be attending solo this time.

Just wondering who may be going and what you may be OC'ing? I'll have my S&W .40 MDL 410 likely in my paddle holster.

For those who don't know about it. Here is the info from the VCDL updae.

1. VCDL Picnic in Newport News!

VCDL is hosting a potluck picnic on the 6th of June. The picnic will
    be at the Riverview Park #1, located at 105 City Farm Road, Newport
    News, Va.

The picnic will begin at 11:00 and last until 3:00. This picnic is a
    family affair so children are welcome to attend.

Here is a mapquest link showing the location of the park:

http://tinyurl.com/pxrazx

Everyone come out and have a great time visiting with other VCDL
    members.

RSVP to Ron Lilly at:

HamptonRoadsgunshows*vcdl.org

AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Post imported post

Bullbuster,

I'm returning from Turkey. I'll be there if I get back in time.

Live free or die

Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

I intend to be there. Don't know what I'll bring. Last year it was an 1858 Remington black powder revolver.

I'll find something suitable.

P.S. the address for Ron Lilly doesn't work for me. Anyone know another way to contact him?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Substituting @ for the * worked fine for me as an email address.

Could the solution to the problem be as simple as that? Hope so.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Gonna try to make it.

Post imported post

We'll be there. I'll be in a H&K USP 45 in a black Bianchi ballistic nylon holster and "MIdgetWithGlock" (Bridget) will be dressedin a SERPA or a black tacticool thigh rig with a .45 ACP GLock 21SF because she says its more comfortable and won't have to worry about the mall ninja image when in the company of family.

Spousal Unit may attend too. I doubt Bridget's 3 younger siblings would pass up the chance to meet new people and they appreciate good picnic chow.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
    I intend to be there. Don't know what I'll bring. Last year it was an 1858 Remington black powder revolver.

I'll find something suitable.

P.S. the address for Ron Lilly doesn't work for me. Anyone know another way to contact him?

I don't know why they had a (*) in the e-mail. Put a (@) and you'll be fine.

Dutch I remember talking to you about your setup at the last one. My wife, kids, and I sat at the table in front of you. My littlest one was the one who sucked down all the water melon. That was a nice piece you had BTW.

edited for brain fart

TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?

Post imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    My littlest one was the one who sucked down all the water mellon. That was a nice piece you had.
    Very nice choice in the 1858 Remington.

Did someone say WATERMELON? My 2 little ones LOVE watermelon! They will definitely be there!

(for the number of happy people form my family that will attend!)
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

ccloud43

Post imported post

Me and my wife will be there again this year. Had a great time last year. Dawn will have her S&W M&P 40 and I will have my Kimber Ultra Carry II 45. Both will be in Serpa holsters

Post imported post

Had a great time last year!

Not sure if we can make it this year.

Post imported post

I'll be there with my Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II in a Serpa holster, My wife will be there if it's not too hot.

Post imported post

Over 3 hours away.

Probably not gonna make the drive.

Have fun, guys!!!

Post imported post

Just received clarification regarding picnic and "pot luck" aspect.

No hamburger, hot dogs or drinks provided - no coordination/organization of food. Apparently no speakers planned - at least I've seen no mention of them.

Ice? Grills? Don't know.

Appreciate the thought but admit to being more than a little disappointed - would have expected better planning. Forecast a marked difference from those in the past - particularly last year at Riverview Park.

We are opting out - canceling confirmation - with regret.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I was pretty disappointed whenI got an e-mail response with "it's a pot luck, bring whatever you like".

I had kinda hoped someone would have decided that x-number of people need to bring burgers, dogs, buns, chips, whatever... but it seems NO ONE GIVESACHIT at VCDL and they don't want to organize it?

What gives?

(unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    I was pretty disappointed whenI got an e-mail response with "it's a pot luck, bring whatever you like".

I had kinda hoped someone would have decided that x-number of people need to bring burgers, dogs, buns, chips, whatever... but it seems NO ONE GIVESACHIT at VCDL and they don't want to organize it?

What gives?

I was going to ask if you can go if you are not a VCDL member(yet), but now we won't even bother.

Post imported post

idk if ill show up. just FYI there is a school across the street from the park. if your eat at the shelters then your more than 1000 feet away but some of the park is less than 500 feet

Post imported post

I RSVP'd that I would show up, but I don't have a CLUE what I should bring.

RE: School Rule:
    I think the school rule only applies during school hours.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    I RSVP'd that I would show up, but I don't have a CLUE what I should bring.

RE: School Rule:
    I think the school rule only applies during school hours.
    School rule applies 24/7, but you are exempt if you have a CHP.

The lack of organization does not bother me that much. VCDL is a grassroots operation, and some of the members learn grassroots community organization by the seat of their pants, as opposed to "professional" training from the likes of ACORN.

I'm from Richmond, not Tidewater, so do not know any of the politicos from that area. Perhaps an invitation right after the Republican convention, when candidates are finalized, is being contemplated (HINT!)

Even if no speakers are invited, fellowship is a good thing and I'm willing to make the 90-minute drive. Sorry to see others are not.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

This one should be interesting. I have to wonder if its not a last minute thing thats happening.

You do not have to be a VCDL member to attend. Someone should be there that can sign you up if you want to be a member. Thats what my wife and I did last year.
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?

Post imported post

Sadly I (nor my Great Dane Lance) can't make it. We will be OC at the Blackbeard Pirate Festival that weekend (When not Groggin). Lance was looking forward to all the leftover weenies...and all the attention he got last year. He even sported a VCDL Member tag on his collar last year, it was a great time.

FreeFlight

And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939

Free Flight

Post imported post

IMHO - this is how a guest supplied food (pot luck) picnic should be handled.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/26300.html

Those that can't make the Newport News event might consider this one.....or both.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    IMHO - this is how a guest supplied food (pot luck) picnic should be handled.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/26300.html

Those that can't make the Newport News event might consider this one.....or both.

Yata hey
    I agree...that one does seem a bit better planned. Perhaps there was more planning time, etc. We will try to hit up one of the next ones.

Post imported post

As most of you should know, VCDL is not a big money organization, nor does VCDL hound you for money. The strength is in VOLUNTEERS. And VCDL does not spend your precious donations frivolously;money is spent carefully to direct as closeto 100% as possible to directly impact the right to keep and bear arms.

Aside from the annual Legislative Victory picnic to thank the most successful legislator who carried our bill(s) before his grateful constitutency (to encourage future agressiveness on our behalf), VCDLdoesn't blow donations on parties and picnics outside of very special circumstances; most other get togethers are arranged and paid for by those who want to meetfor networking and fellowship (volunteers).

Themembers in southwest Virginia have had frequent "pot luck" picnics, and I was privileged to attend one a couple months ago. Members and their wives brought their favorite pasta salad, dessert,or casserole, bachelorsbrought buckets from KFC, and on and on. Lots of special offerings and favorite recipes, much to choose from, and everybody felt proud that they had a little "skin in the game."

As for organization - itshould be no secret that Ron Lillly is the point of contact. For the record he has contacted a number of area legislators about attending, then had business out of town, and may not have the answers yet topublish. Some legilslative speakers may or may not be there. It's about fellowship.

If you're that offended that you won't get a hot dog on the dime of those who donate to VCDL, I would question your priorities.

And if you really, for the life of you, can't come up with what to bring on your own, surely Ron can direct you, if you're really interested in fellowship with fellow members, based on whatyour fellow membersare tellinghimn THEYwill bring.

Gun Owners are very independent and self-sufficient, so maybe that's what's going on here. So be independent and self-sufficient, and VOLUNTEER, step forward, make a decision, and err on the side of action. Everybody in VCDL is a volunteer after all, so if you're really bothered by how another volunteer is doing things, step in to help.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again...who knows the great enthusiasms,the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the least knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while doing greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

T. Roosevelt

Post imported post

WT... folks?

The SW has pot lucks all the time per the reps out there and says it is a great way for like minded folks to get together and have a good time.

How it this any different from the OCdO breakfasts, lunches, or dinners?

Ron just thought it would be a good idea as a good way to get folks together.

This was not meant to be a legislative victory gathering (which is done as a payback to the rep (or reps) that have done the best for us during the past session) as some of the gatherings are.

When the VCDL uses your money for a picnic,it isused to thankthose who work with us.It is fora deservingmember of the GA.It lets them see us and us see them.

So I guess my rhetorical question is: Would you rather have your dues going to fight for your gun rights on a statewide basis or would you rather have a burger and a coke?

Post imported post

Riverdance wrote:
    snip.........If you're that offended that you won't get a hot dog on the dime of those who donate to VCDL, I would question your priorities.
    I was fine with all of your comments except this remark - I find it offensive. If you knew me personally you would not question my priorities - I find that equally offensive.

I don't read where anyone expected or wanted a free picnic - on VCDL's dime. What I personally hoped for was better planning, coordination and then an announcement.
    Several of us have emailed or PMd for clarification and additional information, only to have the original "its pot luck" restated. So much for asking. I would have found it reasonable to make a nominal charge per head even.

My decision was based on a 3 hour round trip and maybe a motel bill to attend something with an unknown success rate. My potential guests opted out before I withdrew for those exact reasons and they were part of the Night Line interviews last year - I do not question their priorities.

Now to bury the hatchet - I hope the picnic is a resounding success and that everybody has a great time. Ever one here is quite capable of making their own choices and my intent was not to influence any one else in their decision.

Yata hey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast