• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Picnic in Newport News - June 6th

Bullbuster

imported post

Who here is planning on attending the up coming VCDL picnic in Newport News? I attended the one last year with my wife and kids (my boy had his holster and cap gun)(was also the boy in the Nightline video strapping it on). I'll be attending solo this time.

Just wondering who may be going and what you may be OC'ing? I'll have my S&W .40 MDL 410 likely in my paddle holster.

For those who don't know about it. Here is the info from the VCDL updae.

1. VCDL Picnic in Newport News!

VCDL is hosting a potluck picnic on the 6th of June. The picnic will
be at the Riverview Park #1, located at 105 City Farm Road, Newport
News, Va.

The picnic will begin at 11:00 and last until 3:00. This picnic is a
family affair so children are welcome to attend.

Here is a mapquest link showing the location of the park:

http://tinyurl.com/pxrazx

Everyone come out and have a great time visiting with other VCDL
members.

RSVP to Ron Lilly at:

HamptonRoadsgunshows*vcdl.org

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I intend to be there. Don't know what I'll bring. Last year it was an 1858 Remington black powder revolver. :cool:

I'll find something suitable.

P.S. the address for Ron Lilly doesn't work for me. Anyone know another way to contact him?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Substituting @ for the * worked fine for me as an email address.

Could the solution to the problem be as simple as that? Hope so.

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

We'll be there. I'll be in a H&K USP 45 in a black Bianchi ballistic nylon holster and "MIdgetWithGlock" (Bridget) will be dressedin a SERPA or a black tacticool thigh rig with a .45 ACP GLock 21SF because she says its more comfortable and won't have to worry about the mall ninja image when in the company of family. :D

Spousal Unit may attend too. I doubt Bridget's 3 younger siblings would pass up the chance to meet new people and they appreciate good picnic chow.

Bullbuster

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I intend to be there. Don't know what I'll bring. Last year it was an 1858 Remington black powder revolver. :cool:

I'll find something suitable.

P.S. the address for Ron Lilly doesn't work for me. Anyone know another way to contact him?

I don't know why they had a (*) in the e-mail. Put a (@) and you'll be fine.

Dutch I remember talking to you about your setup at the last one. My wife, kids, and I sat at the table in front of you. My littlest one was the one who sucked down all the water melon. That was a nice piece you had BTW.

edited for brain fart

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:

My littlest one was the one who sucked down all the water mellon. That was a nice piece you had.

Very nice choice in the 1858 Remington.

Did someone say WATERMELON? My 2 little ones LOVE watermelon! They will definitely be there!

:D:D:D:D:D:D(for the number of happy people form my family that will attend!)

C

ccloud43

imported post

Me and my wife will be there again this year. Had a great time last year. Dawn will have her S&W M&P 40 and I will have my Kimber Ultra Carry II 45. Both will be in Serpa holsters

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Just received clarification regarding picnic and "pot luck" aspect.

No hamburger, hot dogs or drinks provided - no coordination/organization of food. Apparently no speakers planned - at least I've seen no mention of them.

Ice? Grills? Don't know.

Appreciate the thought but admit to being more than a little disappointed - would have expected better planning. Forecast a marked difference from those in the past - particularly last year at Riverview Park.

We are opting out - canceling confirmation - with regret.

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I was pretty disappointed whenI got an e-mail response with "it's a pot luck, bring whatever you like".

I had kinda hoped someone would have decided that x-number of people need to bring burgers, dogs, buns, chips, whatever... but it seems NO ONE GIVESACHIT at VCDL and they don't want to organize it?

What gives?

Fetts Lady

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I was pretty disappointed whenI got an e-mail response with "it's a pot luck, bring whatever you like".

I had kinda hoped someone would have decided that x-number of people need to bring burgers, dogs, buns, chips, whatever... but it seems NO ONE GIVESACHIT at VCDL and they don't want to organize it?

What gives?
I was going to ask if you can go if you are not a VCDL member(yet), but now we won't even bother.

MuddyTires07

imported post

idk if ill show up. just FYI there is a school across the street from the park. if your eat at the shelters then your more than 1000 feet away but some of the park is less than 500 feet

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I RSVP'd that I would show up, but I don't have a CLUE what I should bring.

RE: School Rule:
I think the school rule only applies during school hours.

School rule applies 24/7, but you are exempt if you have a CHP.

The lack of organization does not bother me that much. VCDL is a grassroots operation, and some of the members learn grassroots community organization by the seat of their pants, as opposed to "professional" training from the likes of ACORN.

I'm from Richmond, not Tidewater, so do not know any of the politicos from that area. Perhaps an invitation right after the Republican convention, when candidates are finalized, is being contemplated (HINT!)

Even if no speakers are invited, fellowship is a good thing and I'm willing to make the 90-minute drive. Sorry to see others are not.

stay safe.

skidmark

Bullbuster

imported post

This one should be interesting. I have to wonder if its not a last minute thing thats happening.

You do not have to be a VCDL member to attend. Someone should be there that can sign you up if you want to be a member. Thats what my wife and I did last year.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sadly I (nor my Great Dane Lance) can't make it. We will be OC at the Blackbeard Pirate Festival that weekend (When not Groggin). Lance was looking forward to all the leftover weenies...and all the attention he got last year. He even sported a VCDL Member tag on his collar last year, it was a great time.

FreeFlight