• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Picnic in Newport News - June 6th

Fetts Lady

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
IMHO - this is how a guest supplied food (pot luck) picnic should be handled.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/26300.html

Those that can't make the Newport News event might consider this one.....or both.

Yata hey
I agree...that one does seem a bit better planned. Perhaps there was more planning time, etc. We will try to hit up one of the next ones.

Riverdance

imported post

As most of you should know, VCDL is not a big money organization, nor does VCDL hound you for money. The strength is in VOLUNTEERS. And VCDL does not spend your precious donations frivolously;money is spent carefully to direct as closeto 100% as possible to directly impact the right to keep and bear arms.

Aside from the annual Legislative Victory picnic to thank the most successful legislator who carried our bill(s) before his grateful constitutency (to encourage future agressiveness on our behalf), VCDLdoesn't blow donations on parties and picnics outside of very special circumstances; most other get togethers are arranged and paid for by those who want to meetfor networking and fellowship (volunteers).

Themembers in southwest Virginia have had frequent "pot luck" picnics, and I was privileged to attend one a couple months ago. Members and their wives brought their favorite pasta salad, dessert,or casserole, bachelorsbrought buckets from KFC, and on and on. Lots of special offerings and favorite recipes, much to choose from, and everybody felt proud that they had a little "skin in the game."

As for organization - itshould be no secret that Ron Lillly is the point of contact. For the record he has contacted a number of area legislators about attending, then had business out of town, and may not have the answers yet topublish. Some legilslative speakers may or may not be there. It's about fellowship.

If you're that offended that you won't get a hot dog on the dime of those who donate to VCDL, I would question your priorities.

And if you really, for the life of you, can't come up with what to bring on your own, surely Ron can direct you, if you're really interested in fellowship with fellow members, based on whatyour fellow membersare tellinghimn THEYwill bring.

Gun Owners are very independent and self-sufficient, so maybe that's what's going on here. So be independent and self-sufficient, and VOLUNTEER, step forward, make a decision, and err on the side of action. Everybody in VCDL is a volunteer after all, so if you're really bothered by how another volunteer is doing things, step in to help.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again...who knows the great enthusiasms,the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the least knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while doing greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

T. Roosevelt

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WT... folks?

The SW has pot lucks all the time per the reps out there and says it is a great way for like minded folks to get together and have a good time.

How it this any different from the OCdO breakfasts, lunches, or dinners?

Ron just thought it would be a good idea as a good way to get folks together.

This was not meant to be a legislative victory gathering (which is done as a payback to the rep (or reps) that have done the best for us during the past session) as some of the gatherings are.

When the VCDL uses your money for a picnic,it isused to thankthose who work with us.It is fora deservingmember of the GA.It lets them see us and us see them.

So I guess my rhetorical question is: Would you rather have your dues going to fight for your gun rights on a statewide basis or would you rather have a burger and a coke?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Riverdance wrote:
snip.........If you're that offended that you won't get a hot dog on the dime of those who donate to VCDL, I would question your priorities.
I was fine with all of your comments except this remark - I find it offensive. If you knew me personally you would not question my priorities - I find that equally offensive.

I don't read where anyone expected or wanted a free picnic - on VCDL's dime. What I personally hoped for was better planning, coordination and then an announcement.
Several of us have emailed or PMd for clarification and additional information, only to have the original "its pot luck" restated. So much for asking. I would have found it reasonable to make a nominal charge per head even.

My decision was based on a 3 hour round trip and maybe a motel bill to attend something with an unknown success rate. My potential guests opted out before I withdrew for those exact reasons and they were part of the Night Line interviews last year - I do not question their priorities.

Now to bury the hatchet - I hope the picnic is a resounding success and that everybody has a great time. Ever one here is quite capable of making their own choices and my intent was not to influence any one else in their decision. :)

Yata hey

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I don't read where anyone expected or wanted a free picnic - on VCDL's dime. What I personally hoped for was better planning, coordination and then an announcement.

How do you plan a pot luck without announcing it?:question:

Have you talked to Ron to offer any advice or help?Even if you are not attending your $.02 might make a difference.

Heck, as most of us here have figured out, getting a group of ANY people together with any type of coordination can, more often them not, be like herding cats. I wish him luck.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

This thread already been misdirected too far off the OP's intentions - by myself as much as anybody.

I will reserve all further comment/thoughts to PMs.

My intention was not to discourage anyone from attending - meet ups and the fellowship with like minded people are always in the plus column.

Good luck - have a blast - I'll be looking forward to pictures and postings following June 6th. :)

Yata hey

6L6GC

imported post

I read all the posts so far and was somewhat surprised at the negativity. NOBODY who emailed me asking what to bring actually offered to bring anything specific. If you want someone to tell you what to do, I'm not the guy.

This kind of thing can't be done via email. I, like everybody else in the VCDL, am a volunteer. I do as much as I can, when I can/and have time. I have an actual job (sometimes 12hr/day) and go to college so I don't have the time to answer hundreds of emails and tell people what to bring, then have to email them back and tell them to bring something different because so and so wants to bring what they originally wanted to bring......

SO.......

I read the link that was in Grapeshot's post and that seemed to me to be a very insightful way to handle this deal. Now I know that I'm not the brightest bulb on the marquee but I should have thought of something like this before. I'm doing the best I can for the VCDL and pro-gun freedom not just for Virginia in general, but also for the Hampton Roads area in particular. So if you want to help that would be great. If ya don't, well............................

So I am going to post this list below and we'll follow the example in the link in Grapeshot's post. Sign up for what you want to bring and post it here so everybody else can seeand we won't have too much duplication.

rent the park shelter-----Ron

charcoal and starter------Ron

grill duty---------------------Ron

tongs and spatula--------Ron

inviting ALL of the politicians from this area via hand written snail mail----Ron

Hot dogs

Hot dog buns

Hamburger

Hamburger buns

Ice

Colas

Diet colas

Ice tea

Paper plates

Cups

Forks, knives, spoons

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Potato salad

Macaroni salad

Chips

Ketchup

Mustard

Napkins

Baked beans

Water

Salt and pepper

Relish

Disposable table cloths

Cheese slices

Pickles

Camp stove

I will speak to the VCDL's board of directors and see if they will spring for a cake. If not, I'll get it my self. Thanks in advance for any help anyone gives. It's called pot-LUCK for a reason guys.

Ron

6L6GC

imported post

Riverdance wrote:
If you're that offended that you won't get a hot dog on the dime of those who donate to VCDL, I would question your priorities.

And if you really, for the life of you, can't come up with what to bring on your own, surely Ron can direct you, if you're really interested in fellowship with fellow members, based on whatyour fellow membersare tellinghimn THEYwill bring.

Gun Owners are very independent and self-sufficient, so maybe that's what's going on here. So be independent and self-sufficient, and VOLUNTEER, step forward, make a decision, and err on the side of action. Everybody in VCDL is a volunteer after all, so if you're really bothered by how another volunteer is doing things, step in to help.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again...who knows the great enthusiasms,the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the least knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while doing greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

T. Roosevelt

thanks for the kind words. volunteering is hard for some guys. I appreciate your support, but I won't be telling people what to bring. if they can't figure it out on their own they can just show up. there will be plenty I think. It is nice though to have someone who understands the concept.

6L6GC

imported post

pourshot wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

How do you plan a pot luck without announcing it?:question:

Have you talked to Ron to offer any advice or help?Even if you are not attending your $.02 might make a difference.

Heck, as most of us here have figured out, getting a group of ANY people together with any type of coordination can, more often them not, be like herding cats. I wish him luck.

it appears that I'm not a very good social event planner (I admit it :-O ) and even worse at herding cats!!! But your question about offering to help is a good one. I've gotten LOTS of emails complaining/whining/insulting but none so far offering to help. par for the course I guess. I'm used to it.

I hope this thing goes off good and that we all have a good time. For me it is a lot more about fellowshipping with other pro self defense people than it is about eating. But I realize that we have to have food. Makes me wonder if anyone other than me has gone to a pot luck supper at church.

It's called pot LUCK for a reason. Who cares if we have a thousand things to eat and they're all beans. ;-). Oh, hey---lunch is over and the boss just came in the office. More later.

thanks for the kind words.

Fetts Lady

imported post

Wow....this thread did get a bit off topic and I am sure I am partly to blame as I always put my two cents in. That being said, still not sure if we will make this upcoming picnic, but I will be joining VCDL. In the future, I will be more than happy to lend my assistance to an event like this. I have some OCD tendencies, and every now and again, they prove useful! :lol:

If we make it, I look forward to meeting y'all! If not at the picnic, then at a future dinner gathering.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

6L6GC wrote:

inviting ALL of the politicians from this area via hand written snail mail----Ron

Hot dogs

Hot dog buns

Hamburger

Hamburger buns

Ice

Colas

Diet colas

Ice tea

Paper plates

Cups

Forks, knives, spoons

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Potato salad

Macaroni salad

Chips

Ketchup

Mustard

Napkins

Baked beans

Water

Salt and pepper

Relish

Disposable table cloths

Cheese slices

Pickles

Camp stove

I will speak to the VCDL's board of directors and see if they will spring for a cake. If not, I'll get it my self. Thanks in advance for any help anyone gives. It's called pot-LUCK for a reason guys.

Ron
I'll bring some charcoal, starter, a couple coolers (with ice), cooking tools, a BBQ grille, burgers & buns, & a case of bottled water. I'll probablybring some other stuff too, but I don't know whatesle, yet...

Mike

C

ccloud43

imported post

I will bring a cooler, ice, some sodas, lettuce. tomatoes, ketchup and mustard

Pagan

imported post

That day is also the "Clean the Bay Day" and I'm going to be doing my part in cleaning up the shore line and some roads leading to it with my counties CCC.

Hopefully I will get done in time to join the picnic.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

6L6GC wrote:
I read all the posts so far and was somewhat surprised at the negativity. NOBODY who emailed me asking what to bring actually offered to bring anything specific. If you want someone to tell you what to do, I'm not the guy.

This kind of thing can't be done via email. I, like everybody else in the VCDL, am a volunteer. I do as much as I can, when I can/and have time. I have an actual job (sometimes 12hr/day) and go to college so I don't have the time to answer hundreds of emails and tell people what to bring, then have to email them back and tell them to bring something different because so and so wants to bring what they originally wanted to bring......

SO.......

I read the link that was in Grapeshot's post and that seemed to me to be a very insightful way to handle this deal. Now I know that I'm not the brightest bulb on the marquee but I should have thought of something like this before. I'm doing the best I can for the VCDL and pro-gun freedom not just for Virginia in general, but also for the Hampton Roads area in particular. So if you want to help that would be great. If ya don't, well............................

So I am going to post this list below and we'll follow the example in the link in Grapeshot's post. Sign up for what you want to bring and post it here so everybody else can seeand we won't have too much duplication.

Hot dogs

Hot dog buns

Hamburger

Hamburger buns

Ice

Colas

Diet colas

Ice tea

Paper plates

Cups

Forks, knives, spoons

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Potato salad

Macaroni salad

Chips

Ketchup

Mustard

Napkins

Baked beans

Water

Salt and pepper

Relish

Disposable table cloths

Cheese slices

Pickles

Camp stove

Ron

VCDL will spring for the cake, Ron...

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll bring a couple dozen Hebrew National all-beef franks, hot-dog buns, some 'tater salad and some special treats for dessert.:shock:

Will probably wear my new Walther PPS.:monkey

P.S. Could VCDL please ask Terry McAuliffe if he'd like to be the keynote speaker?

/s

6L6GC

imported post

OK guys, I've been trying to work on this list of what to bring. Been sending out a lot of emails and etc. So, this is what I have so far (subject to approval/cancellation):

Ron Lilly: charcoal, starters, cooking tools,

MSC45ACP: ice, sodas, lettuce, ketchup, mustard,

Bullbuster: plates, sporks

Dutch Uncle:p franks/buns, tater salad, dessert

Dale Brown: napkins, cups, ice

Brook & Denise Veltman: beans, macaroni salad

Audrey Muehleisen: cole slaw, tomatoes, potato salad

general1948: potato chips, diet sodas

speedy: sodas (diet and regular)

Buckshot: lettuce, tomatoes

Pete: mustard, diet sodas

Connely: Sprite, hamburger

Corey: hamburger

Toby Comeaus: hot dogs, slaw

Ron Buckles: pinto beans, napkins.

VCDL: the cake

so far there is no one on the list to bring bottled water. Anyone wanna sign up for that?
again everyone, thanks in advance for you help,
Ron Lilly

MSC 45ACP

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
OK guys, I've been trying to work on this list of what to bring. Been sending out a lot of emails and etc. So, this is what I have so far (subject to approval/cancellation):

MSC45ACP: ice, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, 2 coolers, burgers, buns, Sprite and bottled water (per Ron's e-mail). <MSC 45ACP ammended...>

Connely: Sprite, hamburger

so far there is no one on the list to bring bottled water. Anyone wanna sign up for that?
Ron Lilly

MSC 45ACP

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
6L6GC wrote:

MSC45ACP: ice, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, 2 coolers, burgers, buns, Sprite and bottled water (per Ron's e-mail). <MSC 45ACP ammended...>

Connely: Sprite, hamburger (SEE MSC45 ACP ABOVE... SAME PERSON)

Ron Lilly