Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Scary Encounter (kind of) Friday Night

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    58

    Post imported post

    So, I've typed out this encounter 3 times now and decided not to post it. I don't really want to be MMQB'd about it. It happened fast and I don't know the whole story. I'm just going to give some of the more prominent details. It's not an OC specific encounter per say but I think that it applies.

    I was backpacking in the Blues, the trail that I was going to go on was in poor shape so I decided to just camp near the trailhead for a couple of days and day hike. I didn't want to be right on the road so I took my pack and went maybe 70 yards into the timber onto a nice flat above the creek. I cooked my supper, hung my pack, and crawled into my tent about 9:00pm for some.

    I heard a rig approach, I could hear them bouncing off the washboard and washouts. I saw their headlights, they parked next to my pickup. At first, I thought that they were going to turn around but when the lights didn't move - I began to get concerned. Now, I've spent a lot of time in the woods, much of it alone and I've never really had any problems. I always carry a pistol with me but its more out of choice than need (of course you never know). My first thought was that something was wrong. There's snow all over that area and someone could get stuck and we're about 30 miles from the nearest town (Asotin) so if something happened, someone could be in bad shape. I crawl out of my tent and sit in my vestibule, putting on my boots when I hear them shout for me. "Where are you? Anyone out there? etc..." I'm not sure exactly what they said. I almost responded but I didn't want to shout. I started walking back towards my truck as I hear my tailgate open. My tailgate is broke so you really have to yank and jiggle to get it to open. As I came out on top of the flat but still in timber, I could see two guys standing in my pickup bed. One was messing with my toolbox. At this point, I entered "oh ****" mode and I drew my pistol (686+).

    I stood in the timber, watching for about 2-3 minutes - although it seemed much longer than that. They jumped out of my bed, slammed the tailgate shut, tried both of the door locks, shined a flashlight in my windows, called out for me a few more times. They got back into their rig (some sort of Jeep/Samurai model) and drove back the way they came. I never said anything to announce my position, I do not know why they left. I walked back to my tent, struck camp, loaded up my truck, locked my hubs* and hauled ass down the hill. I never saw them again, I don't know where they went. I got back to Pullman about 1am Saturday. When I arrived home, I found that someone had drawn a smiley face on my front rocker panel on my passenger door.

    I'm still running through the incident in my head and it shook me up quite a bit. First of all, I felt very inadequately armed. I had my 4" 686+ with 125 grain Hydrashocks and 14 extra cartridges in my pocket. I counted three voices, I never saw the other guy. I'm currently re-evaluating my backpacking weapon choice in light of this event.

    Second, I was in an extremely poor defensive position downhill from the rigs. I wouldn't have had a chance. In hind sight, I should have attempted to move sideways to flank them on even ground. However, I believe that my choice to not give away my presence was the best that I could do. I'm not sure what I would have done if they had attempted to break in to my truck or if they attempted to come find me (I heard them comment on my tracks that I had left in the snow when I hiked out to my camp site.)

    Third, I'm not totally convinced they were looking for trouble. However, I cannot think of good reason for them to be in my truck and messing with my door locks. I had a guy get stuck in the Gifford-Pinchot national forest once who borrowed my axe and shovel that I kept under the toolbox while I was on a lake. He later brought them by my campsite with an apology and a $20 bill which I refused so it's possible they just needed help. However, it was a very strange encounter and I'm not sure if I'm going to go back to that area. It was the holiday weekend but I thought I had gone up far enough to where this wasn't going to be a problem (5300').

    The attached picture is where my truck was when I left it earlier in the day. I was over to the left down the embankment. The other rig was parked to the left side of my truck.

    * edit to say hubs, not lugs.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran Bookman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    1,424

    Post imported post

    Sounds to me like you did everything right. And you don't necessarily need to change your weapon. Just carry more ammo. It might be a good idea to take a full box with you in addition to a couple of speedloaders.

    Bottom line - Glad you're okay.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke


    "I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Skagit Valley, Washington
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    They were rifling your truck looking for something to steal. You know the contents. If there's nothing in there worth killing a man (or 3) for, best left alone.

    I too spend a lot of time far away from any support, and alone. I always carry. A couple years ago, outside Yaak, MT, I was camping from my motorcycle. A truckload of guys cruised my campsite 3 times in an hour. It was not a formal campsite, just a flat spot off the road in a very isolated area.
    I slept with my pistol under my pillow that night!
    Glad it turned out well for ya.....

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    584

    Post imported post

    I have a better solution to your fire power problem Instead of changing your weapon take me along with you.:celebrate

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    58

    Post imported post

    True, but I'm not sure I would have just stood there and watched them break into my truck. While I wouldn't have engaged simply on their actions, if they had attempted to enter - I probably would have confronted them. I'm thinking that I might start carrying a lever action rifle. A 30/30 rifle would have been much more useful in this regard. I just hate to go carrying a rifle. Perhaps an AR pistol would be alright, just less useful for bear.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    58

    Post imported post

    FunkTrooper wrote:
    I have a better solution to your fire power problem Instead of changing your weapon take me along with you.:celebrate
    You're welcome anytime.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    20/20 hindsight, but I think I would have remained out of sight and challenge their intentions. You had the advantage. YMMV

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Western, Washington, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    Jesus H Christ you guys are paranoid. I've came across vehicles abandoned in the woods also, which is what they found. And yes I've tried to open the doors. The reason is where I was was a popular drop off point for stolen vehicles and I was trying to get a address to let the owner know where his vehicle had been dumped just as i would hope someone would do for me. Now that they went through your tools shows their intentions weren't as honorable as they should have been but stop assuming the worst in people, nothing in your truck was worth confronting or killing someone over, tactically you did what was sound and morally or legally you did what was right.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    58

    Post imported post

    FE427TP wrote:
    Jesus H Christ you guys are paranoid. I've came across vehicles abandoned in the woods also, which is what they found. And yes I've tried to open the doors. The reason is where I was was a popular drop off point for stolen vehicles and I was trying to get a address to let the owner know where his vehicle had been dumped just as i would hope someone would do for me. Now that they went through your tools shows their intentions weren't as honorable as they should have been but stop assuming the worst in people, nothing in your truck was worth confronting or killing someone over, tactically you did what was sound and morally or legally you did what was right.
    While I agree that I was somewhat paranoid, I was raised to not touch stuff that is not yours. They had absolutely no business whatsoever touching my rig, for any reason - even with intentions such as yours. If they smashed my window or something, I'm not about to stand by while they do that.

    I was 30 miles from the nearest town, no cell phone reception, what if they had stolen my rig? What should I have done then? Started walking? I would probably still be hiking home. Where do you draw the line?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Elma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    I think ya did fine. I kinda see both sides here, having stranded myself in the woods before I do check when I see a rig alone. But I would have remained concealed myself more than likely.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Everett / Leavenworth, Washington, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    Where I grew up in Arizona,I used to leave an empty long gun case on my hood before I hiked away from my vehicle,still do it here in Washington.Psychological deterrent for thieves,I've never had a vehicle bothered,or the gun case stolen either.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    584

    Post imported post

    kenny31 wrote:
    FunkTrooper wrote:
    I have a better solution to your fire power problem Instead of changing your weapon take me along with you.:celebrate
    You're welcome anytime.
    I'd love to go some time the hiking in Pullman is pretty boring

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Everett / Leavenworth, Washington, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    I have a real hard time leaving my rig at a trailhead overnight,I day hike and camp at the trailhead,In a Grizzly Bear recovery zone,I carry an 870 pump,and a 44 mag on my side.I carry a .38 in town.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    181

    Post imported post

    FE427TP wrote:
    nothing in your truck was worth confronting or killing someone over, tactically you did what was sound and morally or legally you did what was right.
    Until I guess you are in those shoes you really dont know how you would react.

    You may have done the smart thing.I would have probably done pretty much that same thing but theywould have known that I was there and that I was armed and didnt want them in my vehicle. I dont know how hard anyone else works for what they have but I would have no second thoughts about dealing with someone who is stealing from me and my family no matter what they are taking. I wouldnt care if they only opened it to vacuum the dirt out of it. Not saying I would have shot someone forwhat they had done but they would have known it would be the next step if they hadnt found their way out of my truck.

    "MORALLY" who really gives a **** about morals when you are alone in the middle of BFE with "The hills have eyes" people. You do what you have to to makesure that you come back.



    Glad to hearit didnt go any worse for you.






  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Western, Washington, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    kenny31 wrote:
    While I agree that I was somewhat paranoid, I was raised to not touch stuff that is not yours. They had absolutely no business whatsoever touching my rig, for any reason - even with intentions such as yours. If they smashed my window or something, I'm not about to stand by while they do that.

    I was 30 miles from the nearest town, no cell phone reception, what if they had stolen my rig? What should I have done then? Started walking? I would probably still be hiking home. Where do you draw the line?
    like I said, I agree that they went past the line for how they were acting with regard to your vehicle.

    You said: "what if they had stolen my rig? What should I have done then? Started walking? I would probably still be hiking home. Where do you draw the line?"

    if you're going to carry a firearm you better learn and know RCW 9A.16 inside and out because it is what defines when you lawfully can use it. And failing to use it properly may cost your rights.


    RCW 9A.16.020Use of force — When lawful.(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;RCW 9A.56.065Theft of motor vehicle. (2) Theft of a motor vehicle is a class B felony.

    RCW 9A.16.050Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

    (1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

    (2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

    so you can detain them until a LEO arrives, but unless they are in the process of assaulting you you're on shaky ground to draw on them is the truck and tools worth a life? If you were on a jury, would a person having to walk qualify as a threat to their life? I cant say that it would to me if I was on a jury unless they could establish a need for medicine or weather extremes, and we both already know what a libtard would think and need to remember jury nullification.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona, ,
    Posts
    67

    Post imported post

    Well, I think you did well.

    A few years back, I decided to hike by myself in the Snoquamie pass area. I gotta be honest, being alone up there at night was a bit weird to me. I can't say I would do it again. On the other hand, it was kind of a rush.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Western, Washington, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    tat2ed_guy wrote:
    I dont know how hard anyone else works for what they have but I would have no second thoughts about dealing with someone who is stealing from me and my family no matter what they are taking. I wouldnt care if they only opened it to vacuum the dirt out of it. Not saying I would have shot someone forwhat they had done but they would have known it would be the next step if they hadnt found their way out of my truck.

    "MORALLY" who really gives a @#$% about morals when you are alone in the middle of BFE with "The hills have eyes" people. You do what you have to to makesure that you come back.
    The jury will care about morally. They will also consider if this person is unarmed. Are you naive enough to think you wont be convicted of a crime for shooting a person for going through or trying to steal your stuff? Making sure you come back may mean coming back without your vehicle. This isn't Texas you can't take the "I would have no second thoughts about dealing with someone who is stealing from me and my family no matter what they are taking." attitude, someone stealing your vehicle is not just cause to shoot them and there is a very real possibility you will have to explain your non lawfully based actions to a jury of gun haters. I don't mean this as a personal attack but as a reason to reflect but the last thing the open carry cause needs is a loose cannon with your type of attitude. Carrying a firearm means a huge responsibility

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Everett / Leavenworth, Washington, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    The kind of dirtballs that prowl vehicles in the middle of nowhere(such as the Blue Mtns) at night probably have criminal records already,most likely are under the influence of some substance,and this is not a first time.If confronted,they may play the stupid-innocent card,or run most likely.If they decide to attack,well.....
    Let me put it this way:

    " I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 "



  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    181

    Post imported post

    FE427TP wrote:
    tat2ed_guy wrote:
    I dont know how hard anyone else works for what they have but I would have no second thoughts about dealing with someone who is stealing from me and my family no matter what they are taking. I wouldnt care if they only opened it to vacuum the dirt out of it. Not saying I would have shot someone forwhat they had done but they would have known it would be the next step if they hadnt found their way out of my truck.

    "MORALLY" who really gives a @#$% about morals when you are alone in the middle of BFE with "The hills have eyes" people. You do what you have to to makesure that you come back.
    The jury will care about morally. They will also consider if this person is unarmed. Are you naive enough to think you wont be convicted of a crime for shooting a person for going through or trying to steal your stuff? Making sure you come back may mean coming back without your vehicle. This isn't Texas you can't take the "I would have no second thoughts about dealing with someone who is stealing from me and my family no matter what they are taking." attitude, someone stealing your vehicle is not just cause to shoot them and there is a very real possibility you will have to explain your non lawfully based actions to a jury of gun haters. I don't mean this as a personal attack but as a reason to reflect but the last thing the open carry cause needs is a loose cannon with your type of attitude. Carrying a firearm means a huge responsibility
    How funny, I was riased in Texas.


    "Loose Cannon", You have got to be kidding me. I have been a member of this forum since jan. and god only knows how long I was just reading before that. To this day I still have not OC because Im doing what I can to make sure that I have the knowledge to know what the hell Im talking about if and when confronted by LEO, a person willing to due me harm or just another person curious about his/her rights to due so.

    Maybe you should read the post a little better.

    "Not saying I would have shot someone forwhat they had done but they would have known it would be the next step if they hadnt found their way out of my truck."

    So what you are saying is that you are worried about what others THINK. Sounds a little sheeple. A jury is going to be more faced with your legal standings not moral ones.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    58

    Post imported post

    FE427TP wrote:
    kenny31 wrote:
    While I agree that I was somewhat paranoid, I was raised to not touch stuff that is not yours. They had absolutely no business whatsoever touching my rig, for any reason - even with intentions such as yours. If they smashed my window or something, I'm not about to stand by while they do that.

    I was 30 miles from the nearest town, no cell phone reception, what if they had stolen my rig? What should I have done then? Started walking? I would probably still be hiking home. Where do you draw the line?
    like I said, I agree that they went past the line for how they were acting with regard to your vehicle.

    You said: "what if they had stolen my rig? What should I have done then? Started walking? I would probably still be hiking home. Where do you draw the line?"

    if you're going to carry a firearm you better learn and know RCW 9A.16 inside and out because it is what defines when you lawfully can use it. And failing to use it properly may cost your rights.


    RCW 9A.16.020Use of force — When lawful.(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;RCW 9A.56.065Theft of motor vehicle. (2) Theft of a motor vehicle is a class B felony.

    RCW 9A.16.050Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

    (1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

    (2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

    so you can detain them until a LEO arrives, but unless they are in the process of assaulting you you're on shaky ground to draw on them is the truck and tools worth a life? If you were on a jury, would a person having to walk qualify as a threat to their life? I cant say that it would to me if I was on a jury unless they could establish a need for medicine or weather extremes, and we both already know what a libtard would think and need to remember jury nullification.
    I think that you're misunderstanding me. I understand that I can't ambush them from the tree line. But I don't think that I necessarily have to cower while they steal my stuff. If they had continued, I could have moved to a more defensible location and confronted them from a position of cover. At which point, if they became aggressive - the situation would be very different.

    This is why I'm thinking about carrying a rifle. My maximum confident range in my 686 is about 50 yards on the range. In the dark, in a situation like this - I would say maybe 20 yards. I'm contemplating carrying my 45/70 and being done with it. The weight would be a pain but it would be comforting to sleep next to it at night.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    I was trying to get a address to let the owner know where his vehicle had been dumped
    What, the vehicle had no license plate?


  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    FE427TP wrote:
    kenny31 wrote:
    While I agree that I was somewhat paranoid, I was raised to not touch stuff that is not yours. They had absolutely no business whatsoever touching my rig, for any reason - even with intentions such as yours. If they smashed my window or something, I'm not about to stand by while they do that.

    I was 30 miles from the nearest town, no cell phone reception, what if they had stolen my rig? What should I have done then? Started walking? I would probably still be hiking home. Where do you draw the line?
    like I said, I agree that they went past the line for how they were acting with regard to your vehicle.

    You said: "what if they had stolen my rig? What should I have done then? Started walking? I would probably still be hiking home. Where do you draw the line?"

    if you're going to carry a firearm you better learn and know RCW 9A.16 inside and out because it is what defines when you lawfully can use it. And failing to use it properly may cost your rights.


    RCW 9A.16.020Use of force — When lawful.(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;RCW 9A.56.065Theft of motor vehicle. (2) Theft of a motor vehicle is a class B felony.

    RCW 9A.16.050Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

    (1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

    (2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

    so you can detain them until a LEO arrives, but unless they are in the process of assaulting you you're on shaky ground to draw on them is the truck and tools worth a life? If you were on a jury, would a person having to walk qualify as a threat to their life? I cant say that it would to me if I was on a jury unless they could establish a need for medicine or weather extremes, and we both already know what a libtard would think and need to remember jury nullification.
    RCW 9A.56.030 - Theft in the first degree. Stealing greater than $1,500 ($5,000 on 7/26/2009) is a class B felony.

    RCW 9A.56.065 - Theft of a motor vehicle is a class B felony.

    And, potentially
    RCW 9A.56.300 - Theft of a firearm (if there were a pistol inside the car). Another class B felony.

    Had he chosen to engage them with a "stop or I'll shoot" followed by taking them to the cops or otherwise trying to get them to a public officer competent to receive them, he'd have been in the right. In that situation, the use of force would be done in defense/attempt to arrest one in the act of committing a felony. I have a hard time thinking any sane prosecutor, or even some of the less sane ones, would press charges in that case. You're alone in the woods against three unknown people who appear to be trying to steal your ride home. Yeah, that's time to draw and be ready to act.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  23. #23
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    Years ago my favorite carry gun when hiking or motorcycling was a 686 with 6" barrel. It was one loud SOB, even with the 6" barrel and I am sure that the 686 with 4" barrel is even louder.

    In a similar scenario I might well have fired a round while they were "inspecting" my truck into a tree. I would imagine that their "Fruit of the Looms" would be suddenly crowded, especially if the tree I shot into was beyond them from my position. Most "trailhead thieves" like these most likely were are not armed and are just looking for opportunities to steal valuables to sell.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    58

    Post imported post

    I seriously contemplating doing exactly that. However, it was darker than the inside of a cow and that .357 has one hell of a muzzle flash. I figured it would be a good way to give away my position, not too mention impairing my own hearing. If they had continued, I may have done something like that.

  25. #25
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    kenny31 wrote:
    I seriously contemplating doing exactly that. However, it was darker than the inside of a cow and that .357 has one hell of a muzzle flash. I figured it would be a good way to give away my position, not too mention impairing my own hearing. If they had continued, I may have done something like that.
    That's why one shoots and then moves. As for noise, I always had my Army issued ear plugs with me when I had my 686 along. In a situation like this, YOU had the opportunity to prepare, they didn't.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •