• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

County Fairs

Woodchuck

imported post

A buddy and I are talking about getting a booth at our county fair to promote public awareness on the legality of OC. We'll hand out pamphlets and show hunting shows on a little tv, OC a real gun or if we can't well pack blue training guns.(ignorant on specific law as of right now) Any thoughts, ideas or opinions would be a great help.

bigdaddy1

imported post

You would need to get permission from the owner of the property. IE if a church festival you would need permission from the church to open carry on their property. If a city festival (operated on city/county property) you probably wouldn't get permission to carry, but you should be able to rent a booth for information purposes. I don't think its a good idea to carry a training weapon if it looks at all real. Still can be construed as an illegal weapon.

Woodchuck

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
You would need to get permission from the owner of the property.
I believe your wrong here. I understand if it's private property I can OC unless specifically asked to disarm or leave.
IE if a church festival you would need permission from the church to open carry on their property.
This is just like any other private entity open to the public....legal to carry without specific permission. IE Walmart or Home Depot
If a city festival (operated on city/county property) you probably wouldn't get permission to carry, but you should be able to rent a booth for information purposes.
Again to my knowledge that unless its specifically in an ordinance or "rules" of the property, I can without expressed permission. That said, I can't go into "any building owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state" per WI Statute 941.235 "Any building", it doesn't say "property".
I don't think its a good idea to carry a training weapon if it looks at all real. Still can be construed as an illegal weapon
I think a blue training gun would be a good attention getter and a great way to start conversations..........but ......I could be way off on all of this, I guess we won't know for sure unless we try. Thanks for your input though.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm in agreement with woodchuck, we don't know if we don't try. Many of the county fairs just have people put up their own tents. In that case, I say go for it.

Inside a building, then you would need to know ownership.

That's just my .02.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:
You would need to get permission from the owner of the property.
I believe your wrong here. I understand if it's private property I can OC unless specifically asked to disarm or leave.
IE if a church festival you would need permission from the church to open carry on their property.
This is just like any other private entity open to the public....legal to carry without specific permission. IE Walmart or Home Depot
If a city festival (operated on city/county property) you probably wouldn't get permission to carry, but you should be able to rent a booth for information purposes.
Again to my knowledge that unless its specifically in an ordinance or "rules" of the property, I can without expressed permission. That said, I can't go into "any building owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state" per WI Statute 941.235 "Any building", it doesn't say "property".
I don't think its a good idea to carry a training weapon if it looks at all real. Still can be construed as an illegal weapon
I think a blue training gun would be a good attention getter and a great way to start conversations..........but ......I could be way off on all of this, I guess we won't know for sure unless we try. Thanks for your input though.

A church or festival is private property, not a public entity. If you come on my property with a sidearm with out permission you might have a problem. Granted if your coming up to my front door with OCC pamphlets that might be a different story.

A church is still private property. So you WILL need permission to carry.

Legislation regarding carrying in a public park (Govt property by the way) is a big no-no unless you are looking to get tackled and arrested. So again, you WILL need permission (that you probebly wont get).

[align=left]25.30 FACSIMILE FIREARMS.
[/align]
[align=left](1) In this section, "facsimile firearm" means any replica, toy, starter pistol or other object that bears a reasonable resemblance to or that reasonably can be perceived to be an actual firearm.[/align]
"Facsimile firearm" does not include any actual firearm.

Kinda speaks for itself

I'm not trying to be a knob, I think its a great idea. I am trying to keep you out of jail

Teej

imported post

FWIW, carrying a live handgun is probably a no go - these things virtually always temporary liquor / beer licenses.

Woodchuck

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:

A church or festival is private property, not a public entity. If you come on my property with a sidearm with out permission you might have a problem. Granted if your coming up to my front door with OCC pamphlets that might be a different story.

A church is still private property. So you WILL need permission to carry.

Legislation regarding carrying in a public park (Govt property by the way) is a big no-no unless you are looking to get tackled and arrested. So again, you WILL need permission (that you probebly wont get).
So, using this logic, I can only legally on my own private property. Everywhere else is a big no-no. Everyone that open carried in the Onalaska Open Carry Picnic last weekend was breaking the law????

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

no....

Only government buildings are off limits. Don't go in themn when carrying.

You are allowed to carry on government property.

The ambiguity regarding "parks" is that SOME municipalities have local ordinances prohibiting firearms in parks. ObviouslyANY local firearm law that is more stringent than the states is pre-empted, but because the state has laws prohibiting firearms in state parks, people are concerned thatlocalordinances prohibiting carry in local parks may NOT be pre-empted.

I of course disagree. I think prohibition against carrying in a local park is MORE stringent than carrying in a state park, but I'm not ready to go test that out. We DO need to challenge that law, or those practices, but very reputable legal sources that I have spoken to have implored me that the best way to challenge those unconstitutional laws (including vehicle carry and school zone) is in the civil courts, NOT criminal court.

As for other public places that are 'private property' you can go in any public place you want. (stores, restaurants, gas station, bank, etc) UNLESS they have a very obvious posted sign prohibiting you from carrying a firearm into their store.

Otherwise, carry on.

If they don't like you carrying there, they can ask you to leave. If you REFUSE to leave... THEN you are trespassing, but they could ask you to leave if they don't like what you are wearing also.

You aren't guilty of trespassing if you go to a public event (even if its on private property) conducting yourself in a law abiding manner unless you KNOW they don't want firearms on their property. The only way to know that is by a sign or if previously you've been warned there.

Everyone that open carried in the Onalaska Open Carry Picnic last weekend was breaking the law????
No, the Onalaska picnic was in a public park, and there was no local ordinance prohibiting firearms in parks to be concerned about.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Teej wrote:
FWIW, carrying a live handgun is probably a no go - these things virtually always temporary liquor / beer licenses.

On the West Coast (Mississippi River Country) you should be fine. The beer licence only affects the beer tent. Beer can only be sold in the beer tent, the license is only valid for the beer tent, socarry on the fair grounds should be permissible unless within the 1000ft of a school.

If the fair grounds is owned by the agriculture society, not the government, then the fair grounds are private property and the school zone statute would not apply.