• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The 9pm ABC law !

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Spending the weekend in "Vah Beach" as they say in Blackwater. I've been CCing most of the time but decided to OC tonight since it was such a pleasant evening.

My family and I walked along Atlantic Ave without an issue, other than ensuring retention. We stopped for a bit at the Pirates Paradise mini-golf on 22nd. No issues there. As we left, we passed a Va. Beach PD car and officer standing outside monitoring traffic. Walked right by him and nothing was said.

We walked further down 22nd and found a nice place for dinner - the Abbey Road Pub and Restaurant. The place had a nice outside cafe area and my wife loves eating outside. As we walked through the outside cafe area to the inside of the restaurant, I asked my wife if she wanted to eat inside or out. We must have passed by a guy who was working the door and he overheard my question to my wife. He stopped me inside the doorway and said "actually, you'll have to eat outside because your carrying a concealed weapon". My Glock 23 was of course being carried correctly, but he still used the famous buzzword 'concealed". I explained to him that the gun was most certainly not concealed.

He then said, and you'll love this - "Well, actually its an ABC thing. Our inside restaurant turns into a bar after 9pm and the ABC law prohibits carrying a weapon into a bar after 9pm" !

OH REALLY!

Bar? The restaurant turns into a bar at the stroke of 9? Like a glass slipper?

I of course told him that it was no problem since my wife wanted to eat outside anyway, but also that he was terribly mistaken since there was no such law. While we were waiting for our food, 2 VBPD officers walked by and my wife asked about this "ABC law" and the officers said that they had never heard of such a law either.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Spending the weekend in "Vah Beach" as they say in Blackwater. I've been CCing most of the time but decided to OC tonight since it was such a pleasant evening.

My family and I walked along Atlantic Ave without an issue, other than ensuring retention. We stopped for a bit at the Pirates Paradise mini-golf on 22nd. No issues there. As we left, we passed a Va. Beach PD car and officer standing outside monitoring traffic. Walked right by him and nothing was said.

We walked further down 22nd and found a nice place for dinner - the Abbey Road Pub and Restaurant. The place had a nice outside cafe area and my wife loves eating outside. As we walked through the outside cafe area to the inside of the restaurant, I asked my wife if she wanted to eat inside or out. We must have passed by a guy who was working the door and he overheard my question to my wife. He stopped me inside the doorway and said "actually, you'll have to eat outside because your carrying a concealed weapon". My Glock 23 was of course being carried correctly, but he still used the famous buzzword 'concealed". I explained to him that the gun was most certainly not concealed.

He then said, and you'll love this - "Well, actually its an ABC thing. Our inside restaurant turns into a bar after 9pm and the ABC law prohibits carrying a weapon into a bar after 9pm" !

OH REALLY!

Bar? The restaurant turns into a bar at the stroke of 9? Like a glass slipper?

I of course told him that it was no problem since my wife wanted to eat outside anyway, but also that he was terribly mistaken since there was no such law. While we were waiting for our food, 2 VBPD officers walked by and my wife asked about this "ABC law" and the officers said that they had never heard of such a law either.

VBPD Officers are great people. They know the law and they respect it. One of the most professional departments in the state.

The ignorance of some citizens though, that is always apalling to me.

nova

imported post

better report that place to the proper authorities! "Bars" are prohibited in virginia! :lol:

Glock27Bill

imported post

Suppose that instead of making up phantom references to the law, an owner was up front with a house rule that stated you are welcome to eat there, but could not be served any alcohol while carrying.

Would you still give them your business?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

VBPD Officers are great people. They know the law and they respect it. One of the most professional departments in the state.

They be now. It's been a few years since I've gone to the beach, but it wasn't always so. Not too terribly long ago, they were running neck and neck with Norfolk as the A$$clowns of the state.

Cavymeister

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Suppose that instead of making up phantom references to the law, an owner was up front with a house rule that stated you are welcome to eat there, but could not be served any alcohol while carrying.

Personally in the initial situation, I would have informed the employee of no such law, and moved down the street to the next restaurant (unless there was something special about that one.)

If they were to tell me ahead of time that they would not serve me alcohol, I would be more then happy to continue eating there.

ProShooter

imported post

TFred wrote:
Maybe you should let the owner of the restaurant know that his employee is making up excuses to turn away paying customers.

TFred
Well, technically he wasnt turning us away, he was just saying that we had to eat in the outside section. I did get a comment card though and will be letting the manager know.

ProShooter

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

I wouldnt have an issue with that. I think that is a responsible policy for owner and patron.

kenny

imported post

Just a guess, but perhaps the ABC Law might be nothing more than a restriction placed on the establishment's ABC License for whatever reason. Restrictions are quite common when there have been issues or other concerns regarding a licensed establishment.

TexasNative

imported post

That may be, but I really doubt that such a restriction would have anything to do with firearms.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

Perhaps the owner should be up front and state that he will not serve alcohol to any one who has car keys inhis/her on their person. Wouldn't that be more effective at saving lives?

Glock27Bill

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

Perhaps the owner should be up front and state that he will not serve alcohol to any one who has car keys inhis/her on their person. Wouldn't that be more effective at saving lives?

Absolutely agree with that one.

Show up alone and you get one drink.

Show up in a group and the designated driver is identified as getting limited booze.

Of course we all know that they willnot do anything that limits sales, which is one reason why we would all go somewhere else rather than disarm for the privelege of giving them our business.

nova

imported post

user wrote:
Have that man arrested! Operation of a "bar" is illegal in Virginia.
funny you thought the same thing I did^^

richarcm

imported post

Are Virginia Beach officers really that cool? I would have thought differently for some reason although I don't know why. I guess I just write off the eastern part of the state as being rogue.

denwego

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Are Virginia Beach officers really that cool?  I would have thought differently for some reason although I don't know why.  I guess I just write off the eastern part of the state as being rogue. 

I've always been impressed with VA Beach officers, and I don't mean just about gun issues. I've had two interactions with them, one because of a fender-bender and one because of a roaming pit bull in our neighborhood. Incidentally, those two times I wasn't carrying at all, but their level of professionalism was nevertheless very apparent. You can tell that they know and like their jobs to a higher degree than many others.

The good news is that those were the two times I've spoken to officers. I've been around them dozens of times all over the city while carrying and NOT spoken to them. They're very knowledgeable and comfortable with us average folk carrying, which is always a pleasure after three years in Boulder!

Decoligny

imported post

Dispatcher wrote:

+1 on that. My brother's youngest daughter is VBPD as is her fiance.

They are both knowledgable on the legality of OC and have no problems with it.