• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The 9pm ABC law !

wylde007

imported post

It's strange you had a problem at Abbey Road. I've OCed in there without incident a couple of times. Once with a VB Forensics detective at the table. Interesting tidbit - forensics detectives are required to have a 4-year degree and undergo continuing education but are not issued arrest authority nor a service weapon.

Dumb.

Alternately, for your future outings I would suggest The Raven (11th Street) or Black Angus (14th Street, perhaps?)

VB Police are "better" than their Norfolk counterparts but by no means infallible. So far I've been fortunate in my encounters. Once while CC after engineering a show I was subject to a Terry Stop. The officers questionably requested ID as I was walking down the street claiming I fit the description of someone who had caused a disturbance.

The only disturbance I caused was Exodus at the Peppermint.

Anyhow, when they ran my info they then asked if I was carrying (check box next to my name in the computer?) but never asked to see the sidearm.

darthmord

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
It's strange you had a problem at Abbey Road. I've OCed in there without incident a couple of times. Once with a VB Forensics detective at the table. Interesting tidbit - forensics detectives are required to have a 4-year degree and undergo continuing education but are not issued arrest authority nor a service weapon.

Dumb.

Alternately, for your future outings I would suggest The Raven (11th Street) or Black Angus (14th Street, perhaps?)

VB Police are "better" than their Norfolk counterparts but by no means infallible. So far I've been fortunate in my encounters. Once while CC after engineering a show I was subject to a Terry Stop. The officers questionably requested ID as I was walking down the street claiming I fit the description of someone who had caused a disturbance.

The only disturbance I caused was Exodus at the Peppermint.

Anyhow, when they ran my info they then asked if I was carrying (check box next to my name in the computer?) but never asked to see the sidearm.

This came from a friend of mine...

When the police run your ID, the system will return whether or not you have a CHP. If so, the system will indicate such. Many times, they'll be able to determine that from your vehicle tags as well.

johnfenter

imported post

Actually, the Black Angus is owned by Chris Savvides, who is the anti-gun head of the VB Restaurant Association, and a bigwig in the Virginia Restaurant Association, who have lobbied to FIGHT the repeal of the restaurant ban. I’m surprised you would recommend that place. Have you had no issues there?

t11spanner

imported post

This came from a friend of mine...

When the police run your ID, the system will return whether or not you have a CHP. If so, the system will indicate such. Many times, they'll be able to determine that from your vehicle tags as well.
You are correct. The response from VCIN shows a "hit", on your tags or your DL.

When the message is opened up, it will state that you are a CHP holder.

Carl

wylde007

imported post

johnfenter wrote:
Actually, the Black Angus is owned by Chris Savvides, who is the anti-gun head of the VB Restaurant Association, and a bigwig in the Virginia Restaurant Association, who have lobbied to FIGHT the repeal of the restaurant ban. I’m surprised you would recommend that place. Have you had no issues there?
I was not aware of the proprietor's stance and have not dined in there in some time.

Apologies for misdirecting. Withdrawn.

The Raven, however (Bobby & Ricky Dunnington) is still good people.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
johnfenter wrote:
I was not aware of the proprietor's stance and have not dined in there in some time.

Apologies for misdirecting. Withdrawn.

The Raven, however (Bobby & Ricky Dunnington) is still good people
Double thanks for sharing that.

Don't want to spend my money on the businesses of people who hate liberty

Eeyore

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
We walked further down 22nd and found a nice place for dinner - the Abbey Road Pub and Restaurant. The place had a nice outside cafe area and my wife loves eating outside. As we walked through the outside cafe area to the inside of the restaurant, I asked my wife if she wanted to eat inside or out. We must have passed by a guy who was working the door and he overheard my question to my wife. He stopped me inside the doorway and said "actually, you'll have to eat outside because your carrying a concealed weapon". My Glock 23 was of course being carried correctly, but he still used the famous buzzword 'concealed". I explained to him that the gun was most certainly not concealed.

He then said, and you'll love this - "Well, actually its an ABC thing. Our inside restaurant turns into a bar after 9pm and the ABC law prohibits carrying a weapon into a bar after 9pm" !

He may be making up his own justification, but Abbey Road is a known OC-unfriendly establishment. Iwas asked to leave Abbey Road during a dinner there well before 9 p.m. The manager told me it was their policy that only LEOs were allowed to OC there. It's posted in the "Open Carry in Hampton Roads" thread.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Eeyore wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
We walked further down 22nd and found a nice place for dinner - the Abbey Road Pub and Restaurant. The place had a nice outside cafe area and my wife loves eating outside. As we walked through the outside cafe area to the inside of the restaurant, I asked my wife if she wanted to eat inside or out. We must have passed by a guy who was working the door and he overheard my question to my wife. He stopped me inside the doorway and said "actually, you'll have to eat outside because your carrying a concealed weapon". My Glock 23 was of course being carried correctly, but he still used the famous buzzword 'concealed". I explained to him that the gun was most certainly not concealed.

He then said, and you'll love this - "Well, actually its an ABC thing. Our inside restaurant turns into a bar after 9pm and the ABC law prohibits carrying a weapon into a bar after 9pm" !

He may be making up his own justification, but Abbey Road is a known OC-unfriendly establishment. Iwas asked to leave Abbey Road during a dinner there well before 9 p.m. The manager told me it was their policy that only LEOs were allowed to OC there. It's posted in the "Open Carry in Hampton Roads" thread.

Check my other thread - seems that I've been able to change the owner's mind.

Jared

imported post

I love telling people to start the conversation that Virginia does not have any bars. They don't exist.

They say what are they, I say ABC establishment. They then say it's the same thing.

Finally I say legally speaking, there is little difference between Wegmans's that serves wine samples and a strip club. Both are the same.

They don't know what to say after that.

paramedic70002

imported post

VBPD cops hold themselves to a higher standard. That can be good, or bad, depending on the attitude of the officer, but it seems to work for them.

When someone tells you what the law says, make them prove it. A simple, "That is contradictory to what I believe to be accurate, based on my study of the applicable Code sections. Could you please show me your documentation, for my own education, since you seem to be in possession of a different law citation?" ought to do it.