• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headlines Meant to Indict Gun owners

AyatollahGondola

imported post

Long Beach police say man with gun shot by officer

ShareThis
The Associated Press

//$(document).ready(function(){
// $("#bug").dialog("autoOpen","false");
//});

Published: Sunday, May. 24, 2009 - 11:05 pm

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- Long Beach police say an officer has shot and killed a man who was carrying a handgun.

The man, in his 20s, was pronounced dead at a hospital. His identity wasn't released.

A police statement says officers with an anti-gang and anti-violence task force noticed two men behaving suspiciously at about 4 p.m. Sunday and went to investigate.

The men fled as the officers approached and a short chase began. Police say one of the men produced a handgun and an officer shot him.

The other man fled.

Police say a handgun was found at the scene.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office will investigate the shooting.

ShareThis

Sounds like you better not get caught with a gun or you'll be shot to death. The story reveals a bit more about the circumstances, but then again, I don't see anywhere in the story where the guy producing the gun was threatening anyone with it before he was shot. Now I'm inclines to believe that the cop felt threatened, but our news media sure likes to twist things towards demonizing guns in entirety

wrightme

imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
Long Beach police say man with gun shot by officer

ShareThis
The Associated Press

//$(document).ready(function(){
// $("#bug").dialog("autoOpen","false");
//});

Published: Sunday, May. 24, 2009 - 11:05 pm

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- Long Beach police say an officer has shot and killed a man who was carrying a handgun.

The man, in his 20s, was pronounced dead at a hospital. His identity wasn't released.

A police statement says officers with an anti-gang and anti-violence task force noticed two men behaving suspiciously at about 4 p.m. Sunday and went to investigate.

The men fled as the officers approached and a short chase began. Police say one of the men produced a handgun and an officer shot him.

The other man fled.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office will investigate the shooting.

ShareThis

Sounds like you better not get caught with a gun or you'll be shot to death. The story reveals a bit more about the circumstances, but then again, I don't see anywhere in the story where the guy producing the gun was threatening anyone with it before he was shot. Now I'm inclines to believe that the cop felt threatened, but our news media sure likes to twist things towards demonizing guns in entirety
Difficult to tell, since you have not linked to the article.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

This is a more propagandized version of "Click it or Ticket". Except the journalist is assisitng anti-gun police to enforce the impression that carrying a handgun is illegal.

The story is so light on details one cannot make a distinction between someone lawfully carrying a handgun and a criminal who drew a weapon intending to threaten someone or murder someone. I think this is intentional and it works well in intimidating those who would carry a handgun under any circumstances.

Carry a gun, get shot by police.

wrightme

imported post

Frankly, there has to be more to it than "carry a gun, get shot."

This does not read as a case of "OC'er minding own business gets shot."

I read it as closer to "Gang-Banger stopped during criminal activity, threatens cop and gets shot."

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

wrightme wrote:
Frankly, there has to be more to it than "carry a gun, get shot."

This does not read as a case of "OC'er minding own business gets shot."

I read it as closer to "Gang-Banger stopped during criminal activity, threatens cop and gets shot."

You are correct. There has to be justification for police to use lethal force, even when encountering an OC'r. The general public don't know that and are being fed disinformation that would suggest those who carry a gun are a 'good shoot' regardless of circumstances.

I am particularly sensitive about this issue because when I first started open carrying here in California, there was a "CCW" instructor telling people on a public forum that I was a "good shoot" for simply being in public with a holstered firearm. OC'rs have enough to risk without some "CCW" holder acting on bad information. It is this perpetuation of this ignorance that is our biggest enemy- and the saddest part is that it is often perpetuated by those who profess to be 'pro-gun'.

Flyer22

imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:

The other man fled.

ShareThis

Why is it so difficult for some of you people to read plain English? This incident is very obviously NOTa law-abiding person. He acted suspiciously from the get-goand thenbrandished his gun. If I see anybodyproduce--i.e.brandisha previously-hidden weapon when there is no legitimatecause for alarm, such as shots being fired, I'm going to take steps to defend myself, just as the LEO did.

AyatollahGondola

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
AyatollahGondola wrote:

The other man fled.

ShareThis

Why is it so difficult for some of you people to read plain English? This incident is very obviously NOTa law-abiding person. He acted suspiciously from the get-goand thenbrandished his gun. If I see anybodyproduce--i.e.brandisha previously-hidden weapon when there is no legitimatecause for alarm, such as shots being fired, I'm going to take steps to defend myself, just as the LEO did.
The point of the posting is the headline and the manipulation of the inside information. I don't see how the word "produced" = brandished, nor do I see how men fleeing = cop in danger; fire gun. I wasn't demonizing cops here, but pointing out the manner in which the media portrays someone with a gun.

Flyer22

imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
The point of the posting is the headline and the manipulation of the inside information. I don't see how the word "produced" = brandished, nor do I see how men fleeing = cop in danger; fire gun. I wasn't demonizing cops here, but pointing out the manner in which the media portrays someone with a gun.

Headlines have to be concise. Once in a while, their space limitations produce unfortunate results. A reporter who went to his editor with a headline like "Man with gun carried in unknown manner doing unknown things did something with gun and was shot by officer" would be laughed out of town.

Now--the story does not say exactly how or where he was carrying. However, "produce" has strong connotations of bringing something hidden into public view, as in the old demand, "Produce your papers." Merriam-Webster Online gives 7 definitions for "produce," 2 of which are "to offer to view or notice" and "to make available for public exhibition or dissemination."

A Google news search on "running from police" turns up several news stories about people who had warrants running from an officer. The TV show "Cops" shows the same thing. I have NEVER heard of a truly innocent person running from police. Now, it's possible that somebody might somehow panic and run when they have nothing to fear, but police have made the association that running=guilty, and they have plenty of evidence for that belief. Add to that the phenomenon of "suicide by cop," and I'm pretty sure that any officer chasing a suspect has avery high adrenalin level.

Therefore--the officer had grounds for believing that something fishy was going on. And then the suspect draws a gun! We have all read of stories where somebody was killed for pulling out an innocent object that was mistaken for a gun. When somebody who is running from police pulls out a real gun, even a blind man could see the likely outcome.