• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

on vaction OCing in Washington

nomidlname

imported post

Help!!

Ok, so I have been running around washington the last couple days OC'ing. My concern is...

[align=left]A person may carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle only if they have a valid CPL
. Those without a valid CPL may carry a firearm in a vehicle only if the firearm is unloaded and in a secure wrapper or opaque case. (RCW 9.41.050)[/align]
[align=left]I don't have a CPL in Washington nor a reciprocating CCW from my location. What I do is unload my weapon when I get into my truck. My theroy is a "secure wrapper" is my holster which has a securing snap and wraps the gun. [/align]
[align=left]I cannot find any definition of secure wrapper... would my holster be "defined" as a secure wrapper?[/align]
[align=left]I will give a full update on all the places I visited and if I had any isssues when I get back home :)[/align]

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, you are in luck... it only has to be UNLOADED. This has been discucsed several times lately.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

I am not a lawyer, but my undestanding is:

Changing my response after rereading the question and law.

If you havea CPL..

The gun can be loaded or unloaded - it doesn't matter.

The gun can be on your person, anywhere in the vehicle while you are there, or hidden and locked away when you are not there.
If you do NOT have a CPL, pretty much the same rules except that the gun cannot be loaded.

I've asked the question about a holster being a secure wrapper, but I wouldn't want to be the test case for that one. Keep it in a box stashed away out of reach.

FMCDH

imported post

The definitive online resource for carry of a handgun in all states....http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

I suggest reading everything you can from the Handgunlaw site, and unloading and locking up your pistol in the trunk while in your vehicle, to be on the safe side.

Technically, you can OC your unloaded pistol in a vehicle, but its up to you how much risk you want to take.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

the term "secure opaque wrapper" is nice and vague. I've used my backpack across my back as a "secure opaque wrapper" before. I've never been called on it, and it seems the intent is that the weapon be out of sight, and secured from unauthorized access or possession.

Machoduck

imported post

A couple of comments, nomidlname. First, welcome! Second, if you wait until you're into your truck to unload, you're already in violation. One of our group has said that somebody was violated for leaning a loaded rifle against his car prior to unloading.

As a practical matter, I suggest either a Doskosil type hard plastic case or a zippered gun rug then place the unloaded pistol under the seat. If your truck is anything like mine you'll want the dust protection.

Flambeau case at Midway (3 sizes avail. 10" to 17", $6 - $12):

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=196598

MD

joeroket

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
A couple of comments, nomidlname.  First, welcome!  Second, if you wait until you're into your truck to unload, you're already in violation.  One of our group has said that somebody was violated for leaning a loaded rifle against his car prior to unloading. 

As a practical matter, I suggest either a Doskosil type hard plastic case or a zippered gun rug then place the unloaded pistol under the seat.  If your truck is anything like mine you'll want the dust protection. 

Flambeau case at Midway (3 sizes avail. 10" to 17", $6 - $12):

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=196598

MD

The loaded rifle being leaned on your vehicle is actually an infraction of the hunting laws. That law is not applicable in this instance but you are damned tooting that entering a vehicle prior to unloading is a violation.

nomidlname

imported post

Thanks for the reply's guys! I really appreciate it.I am heading back home to the freedom state of Nevada today. Sadly, I have to go through California toget home *shiver*. Beutiful state in most places but they have some obvious issues regardinggun control.

I will heed your warning andremove my mag before I get in the truck. Ithinkhandling my weapon would draw more attention then just clicking the mag release and sliding the mag out. IMOit's better than removing the gun from the holster. It's ironic that the government who is suppose to consider my rights and safty first wants me to showthe criminals intent on harming me and my family that I am unloading myweapon but such is the way of life.

Ok heading out the door for my 14 hour trip! Will post later!