Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Question about licensing board

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Been a lurker around here for a while now but never posted. I'm inspired often by all of your good works in ensuring all of our rights.

    I had a question about the Isabella county licensing board. I'm applying for my CPL and I heard that the Isabella county licensing board has everyone come to their meeting and I was wondering about the basics of it like when the meetings are, what questions they ask and about how long it will take.

    Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the site!

    When the meetings happen is something you will have to ask them about.

    The questions that are asked, I'm not sure about, because I guess they don't require you to go to the meetings in Oakland county. However, I personally would see it a lot like any other potentially hostile law enforcement interaction. If they ask why you're getting a CPL, they should be told you paid for it, and it's your right, or something like that. If they ask about something from your past, I would tell them that it doesn't bar you from getting a CPL, and you aren't interested in discussing it. If they had a right to deny you, they would have. So I wouldn't bother answering any stupid questions.

    Could be wrong about this being a good approach since I never had to go to one of the meetings, but it is how I would do it.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Secretary MOC, Inc. Frankenmuth, , USA
    Posts
    894

    Post imported post

    Pretty much what Michigander said.

    when I had to go for Saginaw County, they asked why I wanted a CPL, and I said something like "because I can have one", and that was before I was corrupted by this forum :P

    They also asked me to name 3 of the "off-limits" areas, and that really was it. It was a complete waste of time, but I did get to pick up my CPL from the Clerks office immediately after I left the meeting.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    SQLtables wrote:
    Pretty much what Michigander said.

    when I had to go for Saginaw County, they asked why I wanted a CPL, and I said something like "because I can have one", and that was before I was corrupted by this forum :P

    They also asked me to name 3 of the "off-limits" areas, and that really was it. It was a complete waste of time, but I did get to pick up my CPL from the Clerks office immediately after I left the meeting.
    Ugh, what a load of carp . I'm so glad Washtenaw County doesn't make people go through this nonsense. I'm not sure I could stand it. The routine use of required gun board appearances is solely done to intimidate, harass and fish for a reason to deny. It also appears to be something the less populated counties' gun boards do to attempt to justify their existence.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416

    Post imported post

    It might be different from each county.

    At ours, it's standard for them to ask you all the questions that you already answered on the application form. I don't remember if they asked me "why" I wanted it, but I do know my answer was going to be, "self protection".

  6. #6
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808

    Post imported post

    My nra training instructor said Houghton county will only ask questions if one of the 3 on the gun board is being filled in by someone else (usually state police), otherwise he said as long as you get your app in at least 1 day before the gun board, you'll get it at the gun board meeting, so it sounds like issue time is from 1 to 31 days, depending on when the app is turned in.

    I took my class on saturday, and couldn't turn it in today due to the holiday, and the g.b. meeting is tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to wait the 31 days
    Rand Paul 2016

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    I had a gun board meeting in Jackson County. The only thing they discussed with me was my open carry incident when I was detained by the Jackson Police Department. They approved it that day, and it was ready for me as soon as the meeting was done.



  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Secretary MOC, Inc. Frankenmuth, , USA
    Posts
    894

    Post imported post

    Yooper wrote:
    My nra training instructor said Houghton county will only ask questions if one of the 3 on the gun board is being filled in by someone else (usually state police), otherwise he said as long as you get your app in at least 1 day before the gun board, you'll get it at the gun board meeting, so it sounds like issue time is from 1 to 31 days, depending on when the app is turned in.**

    I took my class on saturday, and couldn't turn it in today due to the holiday, and the g.b. meeting is tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to wait the 31 days
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems weird that they wouldn't wait for the fingerprints and other BS hoops you have to jump through, which we all know take longer than 1 day.

  9. #9
    Regular Member dreamer669's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Michigan, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Had no problems in Isabellaco, getting my cpl, I was there to receive it, asked me ?. MSP, SHERIFF, PROSECUTOR,were there. also my cpl instructor was also there. pretty simple there about 10min. They usually have a gun brd meeting every month. If approved they give you your cpl right there.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808

    Post imported post

    SQLtables wrote:
    Yooper wrote:
    My nra training instructor said Houghton county will only ask questions if one of the 3 on the gun board is being filled in by someone else (usually state police), otherwise he said as long as you get your app in at least 1 day before the gun board, you'll get it at the gun board meeting, so it sounds like issue time is from 1 to 31 days, depending on when the app is turned in.

    I took my class on saturday, and couldn't turn it in today due to the holiday, and the g.b. meeting is tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to wait the 31 days
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems weird that they wouldn't wait for the fingerprints and other BS hoops you have to jump through, which we all know take longer than 1 day.
    I wondered also when he said that, but i know L.E. can get your whole criminal history in about 5min, which I'm betting is what they are using, and then if your fingerprints come back with something disqualifying (possible, but highly unlikely that) then they'd probably revoke the permit.
    Rand Paul 2016

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    dreamer669 wrote:
    Had no problems in Isabellaco, getting my cpl, I was there to receive it, asked me ?. MSP, SHERIFF, PROSECUTOR,were there. also my cpl instructor was also there. pretty simple there about 10min. They usually have a gun brd meeting every month. If approved they give you your cpl right there.
    What all did they ask about?

    Oh by the way I should comment that at my CPL class, during the law section the attorney went over the open carry powerponts.
    Thought that was cool.



  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houghton, MI, ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    I got my CPL in Houghton County, they didn't ask any prying questions. They asked questions to verify my identity and the information I provided them. They also asked where I was working (which I thought was odd). All in all I thought it was a good interaction and it only took about 2 minutes. Picked up the permit three days after my board meeting.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    jwelters wrote:
    I got my CPL in Houghton County, they didn't ask any prying questions. They asked questions to verify my identity and the information I provided them. They also asked where I was working (which I thought was odd). All in all I thought it was a good interaction and it only took about 2 minutes. Picked up the permit three days after my board meeting.
    They may have wanted to know if your place of employment wasFederally owned. Which, BTW, would prohibit you from possessing a firearm on/in the property. This would be the only reason I can think of why you were asked that question.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houghton, MI, ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Funny you should mention it because at the time it was. They didn't say anything other then "That sounds like fun". Oh well, maybe they just have to have something to talk to you about since they make everyone show up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •