• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about licensing board

bababoie

imported post

Been a lurker around here for a while now but never posted. I'm inspired often by all of your good works in ensuring all of our rights.

I had a question about the Isabella county licensing board. I'm applying for my CPL and I heard that the Isabella county licensing board has everyone come to their meeting and I was wondering about the basics of it like when the meetings are, what questions they ask and about how long it will take.

Thanks guys.

Michigander

imported post

Welcome to the site!

When the meetings happen is something you will have to ask them about.

The questions that are asked, I'm not sure about, because I guess they don't require you to go to the meetings in Oakland county. However, I personally would see it a lot like any other potentially hostile law enforcement interaction. If they ask why you're getting a CPL, they should be told you paid for it, and it's your right, or something like that. If they ask about something from your past, I would tell them that it doesn't bar you from getting a CPL, and you aren't interested in discussing it. If they had a right to deny you, they would have. So I wouldn't bother answering any stupid questions.

Could be wrong about this being a good approach since I never had to go to one of the meetings, but it is how I would do it.

SQLtables

imported post

Pretty much what Michigander said.

when I had to go for Saginaw County, they asked why I wanted a CPL, and I said something like "because I can have one", and that was before I was corrupted by this forum :p

They also asked me to name 3 of the "off-limits" areas, and that really was it. It was a complete waste of time, but I did get to pick up my CPL from the Clerks office immediately after I left the meeting.

burgundyyears

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Pretty much what Michigander said.

when I had to go for Saginaw County, they asked why I wanted a CPL, and I said something like "because I can have one", and that was before I was corrupted by this forum :p

They also asked me to name 3 of the "off-limits" areas, and that really was it. It was a complete waste of time, but I did get to pick up my CPL from the Clerks office immediately after I left the meeting.
Ugh, what a load of carp :banghead:. I'm so glad Washtenaw County doesn't make people go through this nonsense. I'm not sure I could stand it. The routine use of required gun board appearances is solely done to intimidate, harass and fish for a reason to deny. It also appears to be something the less populated counties' gun boards do to attempt to justify their existence.

ghostrider

imported post

It might be different from each county.

At ours, it's standard for them to ask you all the questions that you already answered on the application form. I don't remember if they asked me "why" I wanted it, but I do know my answer was going to be, "self protection".

Yooper

imported post

My nra training instructor said Houghton county will only ask questions if one of the 3 on the gun board is being filled in by someone else (usually state police), otherwise he said as long as you get your app in at least 1 day before the gun board, you'll get it at the gun board meeting, so it sounds like issue time is from 1 to 31 days, depending on when the app is turned in.

I took my class on saturday, and couldn't turn it in today due to the holiday, and the g.b. meeting is tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to wait the 31 days

T Vance

imported post

I had a gun board meeting in Jackson County. The only thing they discussed with me was my open carry incident when I was detained by the Jackson Police Department. They approved it that day, and it was ready for me as soon as the meeting was done.

SQLtables

imported post

Yooper wrote:
My nra training instructor said Houghton county will only ask questions if one of the 3 on the gun board is being filled in by someone else (usually state police), otherwise he said as long as you get your app in at least 1 day before the gun board, you'll get it at the gun board meeting, so it sounds like issue time is from 1 to 31 days, depending on when the app is turned in.  

I took my class on saturday, and couldn't turn it in today due to the holiday, and the g.b. meeting is tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to wait the 31 days

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems weird that they wouldn't wait for the fingerprints and other BS hoops you have to jump through, which we all know take longer than 1 day.

dreamer669

imported post

Had no problems in Isabellaco, getting my cpl, I was there to receive it, asked me ?. MSP, SHERIFF, PROSECUTOR,were there. also my cpl instructor was also there. pretty simple there about 10min. They usually have a gun brd meeting every month. If approved they give you your cpl right there.

Yooper

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Yooper wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems weird that they wouldn't wait for the fingerprints and other BS hoops you have to jump through, which we all know take longer than 1 day.
I wondered also when he said that, but i know L.E. can get your whole criminal history in about 5min, which I'm betting is what they are using, and then if your fingerprints come back with something disqualifying (possible, but highly unlikely that) then they'd probably revoke the permit.

bababoie

imported post

dreamer669 wrote:
Had no problems in Isabellaco, getting my cpl, I was there to receive it, asked me ?. MSP, SHERIFF, PROSECUTOR,were there. also my cpl instructor was also there. pretty simple there about 10min. They usually have a gun brd meeting every month. If approved they give you your cpl right there.
What all did they ask about?

Oh by the way I should comment that at my CPL class, during the law section the attorney went over the open carry powerponts.
Thought that was cool.

jwelters

imported post

I got my CPL in Houghton County, they didn't ask any prying questions. They asked questions to verify my identity and the information I provided them. They also asked where I was working (which I thought was odd). All in all I thought it was a good interaction and it only took about 2 minutes. Picked up the permit three days after my board meeting.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

jwelters wrote:
I got my CPL in Houghton County, they didn't ask any prying questions. They asked questions to verify my identity and the information I provided them. They also asked where I was working (which I thought was odd). All in all I thought it was a good interaction and it only took about 2 minutes. Picked up the permit three days after my board meeting.
They may have wanted to know if your place of employment wasFederally owned. Which, BTW, would prohibit you from possessing a firearm on/in the property. This would be the only reason I can think of why you were asked that question.

jwelters

imported post

Funny you should mention it because at the time it was. They didn't say anything other then "That sounds like fun". Oh well, maybe they just have to have something to talk to you about since they make everyone show up.