• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Wi. Highway waysides

308Panther

imported post

New Member with a question.

Does the wayside building in Wi. waysides count as a "Gov't Building" ?

I frequently travel the I94 corridor from Milwaukee to the Hwy95 Hixton exit and was wondering about OC'ing in the waysides along the 94 corridor.

My apologies if this topic has been discussed before.I looked thru quite a few pages and didnt see it.

Thanks in Advance

Pat

safcrkr

imported post

Up north where I live, the waysides are nothing more than a parking lot with a few scattered picnic tables and an outhouse. I seriously doubt an outhouse would be considered a "govt building".

OTOH..... maybe it is... after all it's got walls, ceiling, floor, and is full of the same "stuff" that's in the capitol building. :lol:

308Panther

imported post

Considering that the newer more modern ones are still nothing more then "outhouses" with a magazine rack (tourist info). Just thought I would ask.

So the grounds,p/lot and right up to the Doorstep of the building would be ok for OC ?

Thanks Again

Pat

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I seriously doubt an outhouse would be considered a "govt building".

In a municipality where the policerecognize that their role is to protect the rights of citizens and have "common sense", discretion andsee that the intent of the law was courthouses, police stations, etc. You'd be fine.

On the OTHER hand, if you are in a municipality where the police are all steamed that law-abiding citizens actually have RIGHTS that to this point in Wisconsin only the "privileged class" called law-enforecement had the ability to exercise. If you live in a municipality that doesn't trust law-abiding citizens and instead just wants everyone to be a good sheep. If you live in a municipality that would LOVE to be able to 'make an example' out of a law-abiding citizen to scare the rest of them into NOT exercising their rights and leaving the police to rule "their" streets. This definition of "government building" presents JUST the kind of 'techinicality' that they would probably LOVE to nail your balls to the wall on.

I KNOW what kind of municipality I live in andI wouldn't put anything past them. To be safe, I'd stay outof any government building while armed until I hada legal definition form an authoritative source just what the definition of a "government buildings" that is going to be applied to firearms statutes is.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

941.235Carrying firearm in public building.

941.235(1)
(1) Any person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

Pat are you talking about rest stops? from the wording of the statute it does not look as if it prohibits people from carrying on the grounds of which the public building is on, just not in the building.

Ben

308Panther

imported post

BJA wrote:
941.235Carrying firearm in public building.

941.235(1)
(1) Any person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

Pat are you talking about rest stops? from the wording of the statute it does not look as if it prohibits people from carrying on the grounds of which the public building is on, just not in the building.

Ben
Yes,rest stops..usually has some vending machines outside/inside the building.Truckers sometimes or usually use them to catch up on sleep or logbooks.Closest one I can think of is just after "The Pinecone" at Johnson Creek. but they are spaced out every 50-70 miles or so.Theres another just north of Mad City.

Pat

308Panther

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
This definition of "government building" presents JUST the kind of 'techinicality' that they would probably LOVE to nail your balls to the wall on.
Yes, it would.Thats why I thought it safer to ask here....then to become a case precedent.

Thanks

Pat

patriotguy

imported post

Regarding OC at a Wisconsin rest area (rest stop, wayside), are you there long enough to do so? As you cannot carry in a vehicle, and arming yourself once you get out of your vehicle is an arduous process , why would you do so at a rest stop? I guess I'm referring more to the practicality and not the legality. I stop at waysides for one reason, and want to get back on the road.

Having said that, traveling and stopping at night is a different matter. Done that before while traveling throughout the U.S., and since I don't plan on staying long, I just CC.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

WI Patriot wrote:
Regarding OC at a Wisconsin rest area (rest stop, wayside), are you there long enough to do so?

Back a few years ago, a highway rest stop was the most dangerous place a guy could be while in Florida. Several murders and robberies took place at those stops. They targeted Rental cars (They had a special tag on them to note them as such) because the BG's knew their chances of running into armed passengers was very slim in a rental car. In FL, you can carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle without any permits or licensing. But at the same time, You cannot O-C in FL! You can get resident and non-resident CCW permits though.

Nowdays, they have 24 hour security at the FL rest stops and signs warning of the danger if it isn't guarded. WI is one of the very few states that also does not have a "Peacable Journey" law to keep firearms in a vehicle for defense. Maybe we could start with that to get vehicle carry legal?

308Panther

imported post

WI Patriot wrote:
Regarding OC at a Wisconsin rest area (rest stop, wayside), are you there long enough to do so?
TheMissus has 2 broken vertabrae and Degenerative Disc,walks with a cane.I can be holstered,cocked and locked before she can get her feet to touch the ground.She walks slow and is very unsteady on her feet making her a prime target.

90% of our traveling is done at night.I like to avoid the heavier traffic by night runnin.

Last summer and fall the local law enforcement was kind enough to put up flyers stating there was an increased number of vehicle breakins in the waysides.Didnt notice if they were making more patrols or not. I rarely see LEO's in waysidesanyway.