• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fox 6 video news coverage of first Milwaukee open carry picnic

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I just watched it, great job guys! I wish I could have made it down.

What is the deal with people saying "Licensed firearms" or "Licensed to Carry" I just do not get it? What is so hard for the news people to understand that there are no licensing criteria to exercise your 2A rights in Wisconsin.

smithman

imported post

Mike wrote:
Copy from the Wisconsin Forum:

Good news spot. Though I was surprised to see the suppressor. Next time I would suggest to leave the suppressor in your house and not carry it on an OC picnic where the news is there. First of all the holster you were using is not conducive to normal OC since it appears to have no retention. Also, the public only sees suppressors in one place...movies....and the criminals always use them for evil (not saying that you are evil, simply identifying the viewpoint of the sheep). While I acknowledge your right to carry those things in that way, that doesn't mean I would do the same. Although someone may have a $3000 gold-accented .44 mag with 8" barrel they love and can legally carry it openly in a shoulder holster, doesn't mean that it is the wisest choice.

We can also carry shotguns into any tavern. Yet I don't see anybody planning to do that. This is what I am talking about...just because you can do something doesn't mean it is better than another choice.

I would have made it over, but I had other things that needed to be taken care of. Overall looks like a great event, just my few comments on the suppressor.

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smithman wrote:
Good news spot. Though I was surprised to see the suppressor. Next time I would suggest to leave the suppressor in your house and not carry it on an OC picnic where the news is there. First of all the holster you were using is not conducive to normal OC since it appears to have no retention.
I was free to carry what firearm and firearm accessories as I please during the picnic, and I chose to carry with the suppressor attached, as that's how I carry when I OC back in ND.

Yes, the holster DOES have retention. It's a Hogue Powerspeed holster, and in addition to having magnets that attach to the slide, it has a lock that deploys inside of the trigger guard that retains the firearm in the holster nearly as well as any standard-method retention holster.

smithman wrote: "Also, the public only sees suppressors in one place...movies....and the criminals always use them for evil (not saying that you are evil, simply identifying the viewpoint of the sheep). While I acknowledge your right to carry those things in that way, that doesn't mean I would do the same. Although someone may have a $3000 gold-accented .44 mag with 8" barrel they love and can legally carry it openly in a shoulder holster, doesn't mean that it is the wisest choice. "

And perhaps it's time for the "sheep" to realize that suppressors aren't for criminals, and that normal, everyday people have and carry them?

FYI, I heard no complaints/negative comments from anyone in attendance about it, on the contrary, everyone there thought it was interesting, and some didn't even know it was legal for a civilian to possess one.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I am sorry that I had to leave so early. I would have rather remained.

It was great meeting some of the people I have been reading/posting with. I am looking forward to more outings in the future

Jesus, dont forget to post your girlfriendschimichanga recipe!!!!!!!!!! (dont just post the ingredients, some of us barely know what a mixing bowl looks like)

protias

imported post

I really enjoyed the party. Thanks for hosting this Greg.

Oh, and the suppressor was awesome! The only downside for me would be paying so much for that.

eleuthera

imported post

WITI-TV, MILWAUKEE - Cookouts and picnics are a Memorial Day tradition. But it's rare when the host invites guests to bring their licensed firearms in addition to food.

Licensed?

:banghead:

Sigh.....

Overall, very good shot tho.

Carmmond

imported post

I thought Ted's take was also very good and gave you all a pat on the back.

AaronS

imported post

protias wrote:

Oh, and the suppressor was awesome! The only downside for me would be paying so much for that.

The $3000 permit is a bummer also...

A number of years back, I was going to start the process to get the permit for full auto (and supressor), but I hear it is a lot harder nowadays. I guess I should not have put it off...

Vegassteve

imported post

WOW Hubert great job with that "clip" you put in your pistol.:banghead:

So while jumping on the media and the terms they used, maybe we should educate our own.

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
Jesus, dont forget to post your girlfriendschimichanga recipe!!!!!!!!!! (dont just post the ingredients, some of us barely know what a mixing bowl looks like)
She is my sister and I don't know the recipe:p. I can't eat chimichangas(chesse). And what is a mixing bowl?

Teej

imported post

AaronS wrote:
protias wrote:

A number of years back, I was going to start the process to get the permit for full auto (and supressor), but I hear it is a lot harder nowadays. I guess I should not have put it off...
$3000 permit? What?

Should be nothing beyond a $200 tax stamp and a coupla months wait for the approval (well...and the printing, CLEO signoff, background check, etc...but I'm assuming for the sake of argument you don't have a problem with those things)

The only thing I can think of that's $3000 is the FFL related to 'destructive devices' (which doesn't apply to suppressors or full auto).

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:

$3000? Yikes. I'm not THAT rich. :p

The YHM Cobra was around $600 (Bought it from here: http://major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_012.htm , which he lists at $500, but also bought another $75 piston), and ATF charges a $200 tax for the transfer of any NFA firearm (Except AOWs, which are a $5 tax). Total is around $800.

You don't need a "permit" to own an NFA item, you DO need one to sell NFA items, though, which would be a 01 FFL License and a SOT (Special Occupational Tax).

protias

imported post

southside wrote:
yes the suppressor should have stayed at home.................things like that make it look threatening
Funny thing is, Mr. Greg was hosting the party, therefore it was at home. ;) :p

AaronS

imported post

Mr. Greg wrote:
AaronS wrote:

$3000? Yikes. I'm not THAT rich. :p

The YHM Cobra was around $600 (Bought it from here: http://major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_012.htm , which he lists at $500, but also bought another $75 piston), and ATF charges a $200 tax for the transfer of any NFA firearm (Except AOWs, which are a $5 tax). Total is around $800.

You don't need a "permit" to own an NFA item, you DO need one to sell NFA items, though, which would be a 01 FFL License and a SOT (Special Occupational Tax).
I guess I keep forgeting that I am not on the East coast anymore. I took a quick look at suppressors, and Wisconsin does not list them as limited ownership (I thought it fell under the MG stat). In NJ you need to file paper with the state, and only FFL holders are ever considered. So to get cool stuff, the price is way high. Cool deal for you. The prive was good for you as well I see. The only problem I have, is now I want one!