Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off topic question

Post imported post

Ok, so I was practising water insertions inLake Washingtonoff my dock in Mercer Island today. If anyone is wondering why I did this its was because I was bored andalso becauseI was training in case of a zombie or gov't administered "rage virus" type scenarios (hence blocking out my face). I had to see if I could tread 7ft+ of water with my weaponsfora least 6 mins.According to studies, zombies can't swim so this practiceis vital.

I had a general question about modern guns and water. After submerging my M4 carbine and HK P2000 (which was in a holsteron my side)in fresh lake water for about7 mins (no-shooting) and completely stripping them down, drying,cleaning and re-lubing afterwards, any opinions on whether this is harmful for my weapons?

Post imported post

WTF:shock::shock::shock:.......I.....UM....WTF

Post imported post

.......WTF

Post imported post

sempercarry wrote:
    .......WTF
    Don't hate! Just answer the question!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well, if those M1's could wade through the surf at Normandy and Tarawa, I don't suppose there is all that much to worry about.

A little light on the list of chores are we?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Im not hating....just answer the question.....WTF?

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:

Well, if those M1's could wade through the surf at Normandy and Tarawa, I don't suppose there is all that much to worry about.

A little light on the list of chores are we?
    Yes I was! The old footages show the Marines holding their rifles up in the air usaully, or at least the footages I remember seeing. I was actually under water swimming with them.

Post imported post

Chromolly steel is fairly good at being impervious to water damage. I have submerged several of my guns before with no ill effects even had my M4 in saltwater without any problems.

Post imported post

Ummm......yea......I got nothing.

In the words of Grapeshot...keep your powder dry!

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Zombies are an issue.... always be prepared for the next zombie infestation....
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    See? Thats what i'm saying! You can never be too over-prepared in the case of zombies

Post imported post

Who told you that you could stop taking your medication?

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    Pretty sure it was the Zombie hunters. They say medication slows your reaction time and you won't be able to mow down as many zombies for a given magazine.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

PolskiG wrote:
    See? Thats what i'm saying! You can never be too over-prepared in the case of zombies
    Omigod!!!

Did you even do the drills for zombie gatorsand snapping turtles?

What? You don't even know those drills?

Jeez, if you were serious, there'd be a bayonet on the end of that...um...rifle, too.

(sigh) Where is a man to turn for good zombie fighter material anymore?

Post imported post

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Hello! Even though I'm new, I thought I'd chime in with some lube tests :what:

Anyways, here are some tests on lubrication you can use on your guns. I bought some Corrosion-X for my dad and it works perfectly. It is a wet application, the EEZOX lube goes on wet and dries up so you won't get it all over you when you go to shoot.

And just to let you know, I'm not affiliated with either of the companies.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Eh, it's an AR. If it even works wet or dry that is the miracle. :P Real men use piston driven weapons.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    PolskiG wrote:
    Omigod!!!

Did you even do the drills for zombie gatorsand snapping turtles?

What? You don't even know those drills?

Jeez, if you were serious, there'd be a bayonet on the end of that...um...rifle, too.

(sigh) Where is a man to turn for good zombie fighter material anymore?

Zombie gators and snapping turtles are going to be more of a problem down in your parts, up here we have to deal with more zombie cougars, black bears and zombiedeers.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Eh, it's an AR. If it even works wet or dry that is the miracle. :P Real men use piston driven weapons.
    My AR is piston driven >.>
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

State Researcher

Post imported post

Tawnos wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    My AR is piston driven >.>
    I've seen those conversion kits. Almost make the AR tempting, but I still like my AK's and SKS'

Post imported post

PolskiG wrote:
    To late, they're already in Olympia & the other washington:what: and it sounds like most folks here have already run into some of the more lightly-infected cases:quirky
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

Neither fresh nor salt water would hurt your guns any if you cleaned, dried and oiled them after. However if you used them, got them all wet (especially with salt water) and let them just hang out and air dry, you could see some corrosion on internal parts, though less on any chrome molly. Here's some fun for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvFU...e=channel_page

Post imported post

Corrosion will be the last of one's worries if he fires the weapon with a bore full of water. The smaller bore size of the AR (.224 inches nominal) tends to hold the water more than a larger bore such as an M-1, M-14, or AK.

If you looked closer at some of those pictures of troops in the water during WW-II (Combat Photos, not Hollywood Movies) you might see that a large number put condoms over the muzzle. It kept the water out and could be shot through without damaging the weapon.

If one submerges an M-16 the "Manual" calls for the operator to pulll the bolt back slightly and tip the muzzle down on an M-16 so the water can drain from the bore.

I can sure think of a lot more fun things to do than take my guns for a recreational swim.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

PolskiG wrote:
    Ok, so I was practising water insertions inLake Washingtonoff my dock in Mercer Island today
    Although I fully understand the need to train against possible zombie attacks, I do believe that such action could most definitely, "warrant alarm" if one of your less than understanding neighbors were to observe such training.

How far out in to the lake does your property extend?
    "...our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties."
    -Sarah Hoyt

"America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    -Claire Wolfe

Post imported post

I now feel as though I am not prepared for a zombie uprising. Anyone up for renting a pool out for a day? My m4 hasn't been washed for awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast