• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic question

Metalhead47

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Zombies are an issue.... always be prepared for the next zombie infestation....:lol:
See? Thats what i'm saying! You can never be too over-prepared in the case of zombies ;)
To late, they're already in Olympia & the other washington:what: and it sounds like most folks here have already run into some of the more lightly-infected cases:quirky

sirpuma

imported post

Neither fresh nor salt water would hurt your guns any if you cleaned, dried and oiled them after. However if you used them, got them all wet (especially with salt water) and let them just hang out and air dry, you could see some corrosion on internal parts, though less on any chrome molly. Here's some fun for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvFUuNBY3M&feature=channel_page

amlevin

imported post

Corrosion will be the last of one's worries if he fires the weapon with a bore full of water. The smaller bore size of the AR (.224 inches nominal) tends to hold the water more than a larger bore such as an M-1, M-14, or AK.

If you looked closer at some of those pictures of troops in the water during WW-II (Combat Photos, not Hollywood Movies) you might see that a large number put condoms over the muzzle. It kept the water out and could be shot through without damaging the weapon.

If one submerges an M-16 the "Manual" calls for the operator to pulll the bolt back slightly and tip the muzzle down on an M-16 so the water can drain from the bore.

I can sure think of a lot more fun things to do than take my guns for a recreational swim.

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
Ok, so I was practising water insertions inLake Washingtonoff my dock in Mercer Island today
Although I fully understand the need to train against possible zombie attacks, I do believe that such action could most definitely, "warrant alarm" if one of your less than understanding neighbors were to observe such training.

How far out in to the lake does your property extend?

ChuckUFarley

imported post

sempercarry wrote:
WTF:shock::shock::shock:.......I.....UM....WTF

ROTFLMAO, that’s funny, but seriously I can understand the threat of training for the zombie raid, it’s inevitable.

Ithink they renamed the coming Zombie infestation the Obama Youth Corps

PolskiG

imported post

T-RaV wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
Ok, so I was practising water insertions inLake Washingtonoff my dock in Mercer Island today
Although I fully understand the need to train against possible zombie attacks, I do believe that such action could most definitely, "warrant alarm" if one of your less than understanding neighbors were to observe such training.

How far out in to the lake does your property extend?
Its roughly 50ft out from the retaining rock wall of the property. The boat house and dock though extend out about that far so the area I was in was probably public water. The neighbors to my left are retired and spend most of their time in Palms Springs the neighbors to the right are Chinese and completely oblivious to anything happening around them. They wouldn't call the cops either since they come from a country with a very corrupt and untrusted law enforcement establishment. The property is fully gated so Mercer Island PD would have to come in by boat or heli, not that they couldn't or wouldn't but the odds were in my favor that day. Threading water with guns isn't as easy as it sounds. I might try making a scale weight and size wooden AR-15 and practice this some more, its kind offun. I could also join a military force of some sort and do this for real.

Lord_Kalen

imported post

Athorough clean out in a tub full of hot water and scrubbing with ammonia , dishsoap or some blackpowder cleaner should neutralize all your problems. Works for BP andBP forms a near perfect bore killing salt acid.

I use a CZ-52 as my OC swimming pistol , freshwater , Its spent dozens of hours in rivers , with a simple cleaning/oiling with WD40 after getting home. no issues

And the S&B ammofunctioned fine firing after a full summers carry .....

Aint roller delayed blowback even manlier then gas piston ???then theres light military boltactions .....

n16ht5

imported post

LOL!!!! I always thought about the zombies and swimming away... Thought I was the only one... Can I come over and try too? I live in bellevue

Oh yah, you can try bricks in an old pack for ammo and a piece of rebar for the rifle... Its what I did last time... The people at the pool would have really thought I was nuts if I had my AK over my head... Man that's hard with shoes on.
Another one is to drop bricks down 10-15ft and try to recover them like if someone else trying to get away with their ammo and guns sinks and you want to save their ammo.. I mean uh them...

I don't think it will hurt your guns, but yeah the condom idea is a good one for next time. You could put your pistol in a zip lock bag too?